User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water not draining off slide awning when raining...

My slide topper awning on my 260RD collects water when it rains. The only way to get rid of it is to bring in the slide. If left alone I'm afraid it will get damaged. It just keeps filling up. Any suggestions? I would almost rather not have it than worry about it every time it rains hard.
    Last edited by Thpose; 04-05-2022 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thpose View Post
    My slide awning on my 260RD collects water when it rains. The only way to get rid of it is to bring in the slide. If left alone I'm afraid it will get damaged. It just keeps filling up. Any suggestions? I would almost rather not have it than worry about it every time it rains hard.
    I believe you are speaking of your slide topper awning? Sounds like it is not enough of an angle to let the water run off. I have heard of owners inserting a beach ball or blow up kids inner tube between the slide roof and topper to get the water to run off. Of course you will probably need a step ladder to get it up there and to remember to remove it before closing the slide.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the OP meant topper, we use a 2 suction cups with handles and a stretchable rope (both purchased from Harbor Freight). We attach the cups to the sides of the slide, and then attach the rope to each cup leaving some slack so as not to over stretch the vinyl topper fabric. It keeps most of the water off (cause it slighlty pulls down each side) while also being a wind sail deterent. When using our cups and rope, we do not need to put the slide in and out to drain off excess water while extended..

Not sure if it would work on an awning though.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 04-05-2022 at 10:08 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our big slide on the previous 5th wheel pooled water for over 9 years, and was still working like it was supposed to when we sold it. I wasn't going to mess with things to keep it from happening, since I bought the slide topper to cut down on the amount of work I have to do. I suppose if you stayed somewhere that it rained nearly every day, it could lead to premature aging. Pretty much a non-issue, just watch out when you bring the slide in.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several threads on the forum on this topic (you can use the search function to find them). As mentioned, it's common and not a real issue. As @Hoopy Frood alluded to, be careful when you bring the slide in. We have pooling on both of our big slide toppers (the bed slide topper is mounted at more of an angle). When bringing in the slides after a rain, I retract it incrementally, letting the water drain off at each step. Usually by the 3/4 retracted point, all the water has drained off and I can bring the slides the rest of the way in.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015