User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andersen Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are pros and cons to every hitch. I originally was interested in the Andersen hitch until I saw all the failures online. I ended up getting the pullrite superlite hitch. Same idea but comes the added peace of mind being SAE tested which the Andersen is not.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI I have a 2020 RAM 2500 diesel with a 6.4 inch bed. We pull a 303RLS Reflection.

I did the same as you ,but I selected the Pull-Rite 3900 hitch It gives me the extra turning space, 88 degrees, and I think the Pull-Rite is safer than the Anderson hitch.

Festus Burchfield
    Gilbert, SC

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my andersen rail mount has been used with two different fith wheels 5 years of use no failures .they are a good hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight rating of Andersen hitches has gone up over the years. A lot of the issues you see are from earlier models.

Some of those pictures of failed Andersen hitches are from wrecks too, and no hitch, truck , or 5er is going to look pretty after a bad wreck.

Regarding clearance, your 5er wheels will start dragging sideways if you back up turn too sharply. I find that issue coming into play long before I’m worried about the 5th wheel hitting the cab. That is on pavement / asphalt. Lateral forces on the trailer wheels probably isn’t as big of a deal on gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I am in the same situation that you are in. We just purchased a new Solitude 378MBS. My first thought was to get an Andersen as it moves the kingpin back 8" so I thought it would give me more clearance for turning. After a lot of research I found that it only gives you about 4" of extra clearance for turning. Not enough for my comfort level. I have decided to go with the B&W Companion that mounts to the turnover ball gooseneck. It gives up to a full 7" of extra room for turning. It is heavier but I am all for the extra clearance. To bad I paid for the 5th wheel prep package from Ram because now I need to pull out the factory gooseneck prep portion and replace it with the B&W turnover ball gooseneck prep.

I have seen the same reports about the Andersen and know that any hitch can fail but I feel more comfortable with the B&W steel hitch for safety and turning clearance.

Rob
    I have the B&W Companion slider, but with the puck system rather than the goose ball. I prefer to have 4 points of attachment for the hitch rather than one. Also I have seen You Tube videos where the hitch will rotate slightly on the turnover ball.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conguero View Post
    The weight rating of Andersen hitches has gone up over the years. A lot of the issues you see are from earlier models.

Some of those pictures of failed Andersen hitches are from wrecks too, and no hitch, truck , or 5er is going to look pretty after a bad wreck.

Regarding clearance, your 5er wheels will start dragging sideways if you back up turn too sharply. I find that issue coming into play long before I’m worried about the 5th wheel hitting the cab. That is on pavement / asphalt. Lateral forces on the trailer wheels probably isn’t as big of a deal on gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is why most trailers come with ST tires rather than LT. You wouldn't want to do that all the time, but ST tires are made to take that kind of punishment.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother has the Anderson aluminum hitch on his 2007 Dodge Ram Diesel shortbed. He added the a 4" offset that goes into the gooseneck receiver and effectively moves the hitch point back about 4 inches or so. Now he has all the room in the world. He left our place in California and drove it to South Carolina on a trip to his new house about a week ago. (Sold his California home and bought in SC) No problems on the trip with truck or trailer.

So, to back up, we installed a gooseneck receiver on his truck. Then placed the offset into the receiver and this moved the ball back 4". Next the Andersen 5th wheel hitch assembly mounts to the offshifted ball.

The offshift looks like this;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails offset1.png  

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I have the B&W Companion slider, but with the puck system rather than the goose ball. I prefer to have 4 points of attachment for the hitch rather than one. Also I have seen You Tube videos where the hitch will rotate slightly on the turnover ball.
    I thought about the slider as well but it is considerably heavier and with the 378MBS the pin weight is nearly 3000 lbs dry as weighed by GD in the factory. Trying to keep from being over my payload or only a couple hundred pounds over. I am sure a slight rotate is not going to be an issue.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    My brother has the Anderson aluminum hitch on his 2007 Dodge Ram Diesel shortbed. He added the a 4" offset that goes into the gooseneck receiver and effectively moves the hitch point back about 4 inches or so. Now he has all the room in the world. He left our place in California and drove it to South Carolina on a trip to his new house about a week ago. (Sold his California home and bought in SC) No problems on the trip with truck or trailer.

So, to back up, we installed a gooseneck receiver on his truck. Then placed the offset into the receiver and this moved the ball back 4". Next the Andersen 5th wheel hitch assembly mounts to the offshifted ball.

The offshift looks like this;
    I thought of this one as well. With the 378MBS it has the Morryde rubber pin box as well that you need to change the head so I just decided easier to go with the Companion.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    We have ordered a new Dodge Laramie(that in it's self was a expensive experience) with the short 6' 4' bed and the pre fifth wheel set up. Now we are deciding on which fifth hitch. I have looking at the Anderson hitch as a possible hitch. I've looked at all the pros and cons and have even talked with several people who have them. Those people seem to like the setup and the ease of taking it in and out. Lately I've run across a website where they show all the faults. That got me thinking if this is a safe hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts? Safety is the main issue but I've got a lot of money tied up in my rigs(espiecally the new Dodge) and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks for any help.
    Have you looked at the PullRite 2600k single point attachment? This is my second trailer with it and I love it. Only weighs in at 64 lbs and gives me my bed back when I need it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast