Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andersen Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen Hitch

We have ordered a new Dodge Laramie(that in it's self was a expensive experience) with the short 6' 4' bed and the pre fifth wheel set up. Now we are deciding on which fifth hitch. I have looking at the Anderson hitch as a possible hitch. I've looked at all the pros and cons and have even talked with several people who have them. Those people seem to like the setup and the ease of taking it in and out. Lately I've run across a website where they show all the faults. That got me thinking if this is a safe hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts? Safety is the main issue but I've got a lot of money tied up in my rigs(espiecally the new Dodge) and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks for any help.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    We have ordered a new Dodge Laramie(that in it's self was a expensive experience) with the short 6' 4' bed and the pre fifth wheel set up. Now we are deciding on which fifth hitch. I have looking at the Anderson hitch as a possible hitch. I've looked at all the pros and cons and have even talked with several people who have them. Those people seem to like the setup and the ease of taking it in and out. Lately I've run across a website where they show all the faults. That got me thinking if this is a safe hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts? Safety is the main issue but I've got a lot of money tied up in my rigs(espiecally the new Dodge) and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks for any help.
    I am in the same situation that you are in. We just purchased a new Solitude 378MBS. My first thought was to get an Andersen as it moves the kingpin back 8" so I thought it would give me more clearance for turning. After a lot of research I found that it only gives you about 4" of extra clearance for turning. Not enough for my comfort level. I have decided to go with the B&W Companion that mounts to the turnover ball gooseneck. It gives up to a full 7" of extra room for turning. It is heavier but I am all for the extra clearance. To bad I paid for the 5th wheel prep package from Ram because now I need to pull out the factory gooseneck prep portion and replace it with the B&W turnover ball gooseneck prep.

I have seen the same reports about the Andersen and know that any hitch can fail but I feel more comfortable with the B&W steel hitch for safety and turning clearance.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Thanks for the input. We have some time to decide so we'll keep checking. I also am a fan of the regular hitch even though I'd have to buy a slide fifth wheel hitch because we ordered the truck with the 6' 4" bed, which I think might have been a mistake. One of the guys I have talked to and looked at his setup turned the hitch 180 degrees and he said that moved the hitch back so there is more clearance. In the videos I've watched there is another problem with the connection that fits on the fifth wheel pin itself hitting the sides in a tight turn. They warn about finding the turning point and stay within that turn arc, so that's one more issue you have to deal with using this hitch. So I will keep checking things out.

Thanks again

Gerry
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Thanks for the input. We have some time to decide so we'll keep checking. I also am a fan of the regular hitch even though I'd have to buy a slide fifth wheel hitch because we ordered the truck with the 6' 4" bed, which I think might have been a mistake. One of the guys I have talked to and looked at his setup turned the hitch 180 degrees and he said that moved the hitch back so there is more clearance. In the videos I've watched there is another problem with the connection that fits on the fifth wheel pin itself hitting the sides in a tight turn. They warn about finding the turning point and stay within that turn arc, so that's one more issue you have to deal with using this hitch. So I will keep checking things out.

Thanks again

Gerry
    Gerry

I also have the 6'4" bed and have thought I should have gotten the 8' bed. Too late now though so working with what I have. I am 95% sure the Companion will work based on the numbers. I won't be able to turn 90 degrees but any more than 60 to 70 degrees is terrible for the suspension stress. You will be better off than me because your 303 is 96"wide. My solitude is 101" wide so mine will be tighter with less clearance.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I run with an Andersen hitch in my Ram with 6'4" bed AND I have the Rambox toolboxes. So the bed is "short" and narrow. It's everything it was advertised to be. Absolutely love it. I have the steel version so I can't get into any durability conversations about the aluminum one. I just know that the setup I have works very well for me. Also having a 96" wide trailer does help with turning over the 101" widebody versions. I'm certainly not saying that contact can never happen with my setup because I know it can. I do what I can to avoid those situations. But that's a reality with nearly all fixed hitch setups. In-laws run an F350 with a B&W Companion hitch and a 337RLS. The bed of the Ford is longer than my Ram yet they managed to take out their rear window in a very slow maneuvering turn. It happens. Attached below is a link to a video of my setup if you'd like to see clearances with my narrow shortbed Ram.

https://youtu.be/ZE3n_E2VKsU

Jason
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    For what it's worth, I run with an Andersen hitch in my Ram with 6'4" bed AND I have the Rambox toolboxes. So the bed is "short" and narrow. It's everything it was advertised to be. Absolutely love it. I have the steel version so I can't get into any durability conversations about the aluminum one. I just know that the setup I have works very well for me. Also having a 96" wide trailer does help with turning over the 101" widebody versions. I'm certainly not saying that contact can never happen with my setup because I know it can. I do what I can to avoid those situations. But that's a reality with nearly all fixed hitch setups. In-laws run an F350 with a B&W Companion hitch and a 337RLS. The bed of the Ford is longer than my Ram yet they managed to take out their rear window in a very slow maneuvering turn. It happens. Attached below is a link to a video of my setup if you'd like to see clearances with my narrow shortbed Ram.

https://youtu.be/ZE3n_E2VKsU

Jason
    Thanks for that video Jason. I have been stressing about clearance with my new 378MBS and based on what I am seeing in your video I am stressing for nothing. Yes I can potentially hit the window like your in-laws but from what I see in your video that is only likely to happen at a sharper turn than I would even be able to make with my 279RSTS travel trailer and hitch. I have been able to get everywhere I wanted with that setup so I should be good.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been running the steel Anderson Hitch in my Ram 2500 with Rambox for over a year and happy so far. I researched hitches for the Ram with Rambox including watching the video above (Thank You for your video!). So far I have been happy. I can turn almost 90 degrees and with the ball all the way up I can still open the Rambox and have clearance.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure if you looked you would find similar videos on B&W, Curt, Reese, ETC. If they are the ones around 4 to 5 years ago they are hitches subjected to extraordinary and extreme conditions which most any hitch would fail under and were similarly debunked. The Andersen is a quality product and from my experience they stand behind it.
    I used one for three years towing a 260RD with an F150 61/2 foot bed ( which is considered standard size BTW) and after positioning the cup forward had no issues with turning.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 04-14-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with our Andersen. See sig below for truck / trailer combination. This is my first 5th wheel so I have nothing to compare the hitch with. We love the light weight and ease of hitching. From a distance perspective (pin box to window and pin box to side rails), the hitch gives some good flexibility depending on how you install the red funnel on your pin box. I happen to have ours installed with the red funnel towards the rear (behind the pinbox pin) which gives less clearance between trailer and truck rear window but also gives more clearance between pinbox and the truck side rails on turns. Unless you get an auto-sliding hitch such as the Demco, trailer / rear window clearance will always be an issue with a short bed truck. Couple of unique things with Andersen. First, many states require safety chains since technically this is a ball connection. No biggie and Andersen sells a chain kit for reasonable price. Second, if you are using it with a Morryde rubber pin box, they require a different pin plate. Again, no biggie and its well explained on the Morryde site.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Anderson Ultimate hitch and pulled 2 different 5th wheels with it. The first was the aluminum hitch and the one I use now is the steel version. This hitch provides the best clearances for my short bed Denali 2500HD and I wouldn't consider changing to a conventional hitch. It comes out of the truck in less than a minute with no tools and my 12 yr old grand daughter can lift it out. I would recommend the AUH to anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast