User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the local supplier loosen the vent screw exactly one time. That was a kid I knew and he explained he was doing it to remove any air so all that would be in it was propane. Over the last 45 years or so, he's the only person anywhere to do that, and it was only that one time.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=el Rojo;421910]My tanks only hold 7.0 to 7.1 gal when empty.

I read that as well but then I have read that a 30# tank is "considered" full at 7.1 gallons and then I read the following formula, 30# / 4.24 - 7.07 gallons at 60* F, which is 80% of the total tank volume. Then I guess at colder temps like when your using the furnace and the temp is @ 30* F or colder you could squeeze in another 0.5 gallons.

I don't know, its like anything else, you can read too much and get conflicting info.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I've watched operators at different Tractor Supply, Propane dealers and campgrounds around the country where we have been. Almost all of them reset their gallon counters to zero, then start to fill. I have watched them use a cheat sheet listing tank size = gallons. Once their pump makes a louder noise, they shut it off and always the gallon counter has read between 7.3 - 7.5 gallons. Now once I had an operator reset the counter to 0.5 then started to pump. They said I can only fill it to 80% and then shut the pump off after 7 gallons. Rarely have I seen an operator actually weigh the tank, subtract the base tank weight and then fill. More rarely have I seen an operator loosen the vent screw on the tank to see if air comes out.

I'm not a guru on propane, just what I read and there is a lot of speculation going on here. I was blaming lack of quality on propane regulators going bad too soon, but maybe now I think it's not the total picture. Thinking maybe I'll put a sticker on our tanks saying only fill to 80%, but they probably would ignore it.
    Getting propane tanks filled when on the road is a craps shoot. Lots of variation in personnel and procedures. Some places have scales and gallon meters others just gallons. Some places they look like they know what they are doing, others it might be their first day. I think I have seen every combination of weighing, gallons and bleed valve open or closed. My understanding has been a full 30# tank is 6.8 to 7.1 or 7.2 gallons. Had a place I sit it would take over 8 gallons one time.

“ Thinking maybe I'll put a sticker on our tanks saying only fill to 80%” I don’t understand this statement, do you only want 5.6 gallons of propane put in your 30# tank?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Since propane regulators are designed for gas and not oil I would think the oil is causing early failure of the regulator but that is only my opinion. Last year I had oil in my propane and it killed the passenger side low pressure regulator. I did a lot of research on oil in propane and did not find a clear cut reason for the oil. Some say over filling tank or too much oil left from processing, heavy ends or other contaminates. I replaced both my 30# propane tanks just to eliminate any possible contamination in the tanks.

Where did you get your Fairview replacment regulator?

Though Amazon. I could get the Fairview regulator with check valves for $114 or from another dealer the regulator with check valves and two pig tails for $115. I got the one with new pigtails. I figured you can never have enough pigtails.

Oh and the new regulator with check valves fixed my issue with my original regulator installed by GD, and then replaced by me using the same pigtail regulator connectors on the OEM regulator where they removed one of the check valves and replaced it with a 90* elbow because they mounted the regulator too close to the side wall.
    When I replaced it this time I moved the regulator wall bracket in @ 1.5 inch so I could go straight in to the regulator check valve with the pigtail without using the 90 elbow for the drivers side tank.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip

“ Thinking maybe I'll put a sticker on our tanks saying only fill to 80%” I don’t understand this statement, do you only want 5.6 gallons of propane put in your 30# tank?
    Nay, I was just thinking of those times in the dead of winter when we have gotten the tanks refilled and they pumped in 7.5 gallons when they should have only put in 7. Yeah I guess my label would be the wrong thing to do and like you say I end up with 5.6, that is if the operator can do math.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though Amazon. I could get the Fairview regulator with check valves for $114 or from another dealer the regulator with check valves and two pig tails for $115. I got the one with new pigtails. I figured you can never have enough pigtails.

Oh and the new regulator with check valves fixed my issue with my original regulator installed by GD, and then replaced by me using the same pigtail regulator connectors on the OEM regulator where they removed one of the check valves and replaced it with a 90* elbow because they mounted the regulator too close to the side wall.
    When I replaced it this time I moved the regulator wall bracket in @ 1.5 inch so I could go straight in to the regulator check valve with the pigtail without using the 90 elbow for the drivers side tank.

Should both of the regulator inputs have a check valve? My factory install has a check valve only to the passenger side tank. No check valve on driver side tank.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry my portable scale with me so I know if they've filled the tank. Many of the filling spots around here have tried to move to only filling a 20 lb. tank with 15 lbs. of propane. Kind of like the Blue Rhino scam. I take my scale and call them out on it, since they charge by the fill, not by the gallon.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should both of the regulator inputs have a check valve? My factory install has a check valve only to the passenger side tank. No check valve on driver side tank.
    Yes both inputs of the 2 stage regulator should have a check valve.
    The way yours is set up you can not disconnect the drivers side tank with the pass side tank turned on because gas will flow out of the drivers side pigtail. Unless your pigtail hose has a check valve in it , you will see manufacturers call it a back check valve.
    Originally on our regulator GD removed the drivers side check valve and installed a 90 elbow because they mounted the regulator too close to the side wall. We could never disconnect the drivers side tank with the pass tank turned on.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-10-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes both inputs of the 2 stage regulator should have a check valve.
    The way yours is set up you can not disconnect the drivers side tank with the pass side tank turned on because gas will flow out of the drivers side pigtail. Unless your pigtail hose has a check valve in it , you will see manufacturers call it a back check valve.
    Originally on our regulator GD removed the drivers side check valve and installed a 90 elbow because they mounted the regulator too close to the side wall. We could never disconnect the drivers side tank with the pass tank turned on.
    Interesting, I have many times pulled the driver side tank with the passenger side on and not smelled propane leaking. Thanks for the info I need to check this out more.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast