User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breakaway Cable Mount

I put in a B&W Gooseneck hitch with the 5th wheel Companion sliding into the gooseneck ball receiver. When I picked up my trailer last weekend, I was told by the shop tech that the breakaway was supposed to be mounted to the hitch itself, but there isnt a place to hook it. I ended up just slipping it over the mount, but the caribiner did not lock closed... Anyone have a good place to attached the breakaway on this hitch or did you add something so you have a solid mount for it/?

Thanks
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 6.7 Cummins SRW
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 278BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have a lock in the handle once things are hitched up and I just slide the breakaway loop onto the handle and over the lock. It has always stayed there so far.
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hook mine to the saddle pins, but so it won't pull the pins out. But I have heard some people recommend against hooking to the hitch in case the hitch also becomes detached. Appears to me that would be a pretty violent action for the hitch to leave the bed. OTOH, I have seen pictures of the aftermath of a wreck that had the top half of the B&W hitch still attached to the trailer, while the lower half was still in the bed of the truck.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I purchased and use. It works great and stays under my Retrax cover.

Bully WTD-823 Truck Bed Accessories Stainless Steel Cargo Tie-down Clamps (Pair) Adjustable Rubber Mount To Fit Most Bed Rails - Fits Most Chevy, Dodge RAM, Ford, GMC, Toyota Trucks and Others https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MBBIQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonakin View Post
    I always have a lock in the handle once things are hitched up and I just slide the breakaway loop onto the handle and over the lock. It has always stayed there so far.
    Same here with my Reese 16k. Should work like a champ, but, never want to find out.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by a guy that transports campers, that by law the breakaway cable is required to be hooked to the bed and not the hitch. I now hook mine to the bed tie down loops.
    Reflection 303 rls
    2021 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ standard bed 6.6 gas engine
    B&W hitch with puck system

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use the bed tie downs also. Although I can't see how the whole hitch could break away, if it were to, the safety system will still activate.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I always use the bed tie downs also. Although I can't see how the whole hitch could break away, if it were to, the safety system will still activate.
    I agree. That would be like if the whole truck bed, which the hitch is attached to, came off while using the bed tie downs.

IMO, I always thought the purpose of the breakaway was more for a hitch pin failure as apposed to the hitch mount. Otherwise it does not make sense to use removable pins to attach the hitch to the hitch rails.

But, applying a secondary failure point analogy, I COULD see using ANOTHER anchor point for the breakaway such as the vehicle frame.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my setup. Obviously it's hooked to an eyebolt that I put in my toolbox and I also changed out the original cable to this....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I agree. That would be like if the whole truck bed, which the hitch is attached to, came off while using the bed tie downs..
    That brings up a good point.

The fifth wheel hitch is NOT attached to the bed. (Or shouldn't be)

The thought process here should be to separate the breakaway as far as possible from the hitch. That way you are guarding against as many failures as possible.

Obviously, this thinking has limits. If the pin or jaws fail, being attached to the base of the hitch will work. If the hitch separates from the truck, the breakaway being attached to the hitch won't help. If the truck breaks in half, well..

Think about what everything is attached to and connect the breakaway to something else.

The best case scenario would be to hold the breakaway cable in your hand. That way, if the trailer gets away from the driver, the brakes work 😁

But seriously, look at what everything is attached to and think, what if...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast