User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing PullRite SuperRails in F350 -- anyone done it?

Hey folks, getting ready to purchase a 20k PullRite SuperGlide hitch with the SuperRail mounting system for my 2010 F350. I'm looking to install it myself as I'm fairly handy, but I've never done a hitch before so I'm looking for any tips / gotchas / etc specific to an F350 install.

Has anyone done it? The things I'm thinking about are having to remove the overload spring to mount the rails, ensuring the holes in the bed line up with the rails, etc. The instructions are very straight forward but I know from experience there's always some little thing that the directions don't address!

Here are the directions from PullRite:
    http://www.pullrite.com/sites/pullri...d%20Diesel.pdf

Thanks!
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my blog entry from 2010 putting an 18K SG in an F250. Should be the same install I believe. It's still there by the way! I'm not sure how much help it will be other than to give you some confidence if you're handy. Site: http://c3finallyfree.blogspot.com/20...t-hitched.html

Best wishes,
    Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the super rails in a previous truck. I remember using a smaller hole saw than the instructions called for, and I cut small notches for the pins that stick out. I also used a long drill bit to drill from the bottom into the bed so there was no need to measure anything.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
    I installed the super rails in a previous truck. I remember using a smaller hole saw than the instructions called for, and I cut small notches for the pins that stick out. I also used a long drill bit to drill from the bottom into the bed so there was no need to measure anything.
    Sorry Spec, I respectfully disagree. I would definitely use the pinhole method described in the instructions. One hole is directly above the frame. I'm pretty sure I considered what you talk about, but it wasn't doable on my 08. I can't remember why exactly. It was either that the bit was at an angle or that I couldn't get a good mark with the receiver plate installed which you'd have to do to get your drill mark. Take a look at my receiver plate in my blog (link above). Was your truck the 08-10 model Ford? Each installation is different by model. Anyway, I'd hate for the OP to mess up his truck without us clarifying.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are the best -- thank you! It's funny -- I had the same idea to drill the bed holes from underneath using the frame rails/mounts as a guide. I figured I'd need a right-angle drill to access the holes, but you think there's more to it than that? Worst case I'll just use the template or measuring method.

My bigger fear is what would I need to remove (if anything) in order to mount the rails. And also, will I need to drill new holes in the frame, or enlarge the existing holes? Brent, looks like you had to enlarge the holes huh? Guess I can figure that out as I go....
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    You guys are the best -- thank you! It's funny -- I had the same idea to drill the bed holes from underneath using the frame rails/mounts as a guide. I figured I'd need a right-angle drill to access the holes, but you think there's more to it than that? Worst case I'll just use the template or measuring method.

My bigger fear is what would I need to remove (if anything) in order to mount the rails. And also, will I need to drill new holes in the frame, or enlarge the existing holes? Brent, looks like you had to enlarge the holes huh? Guess I can figure that out as I go....
    Very cool. Sounds like you are armed and ready. I had to enlarge yes. I MAY have had to drill one hole, but I can't be sure. I also installed airbags at roughly the same time. Let us know how you manage it ok. I'm curious.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Sorry Spec, I respectfully disagree. I would definitely use the pinhole method described in the instructions. One hole is directly above the frame. I'm pretty sure I considered what you talk about, but it wasn't doable on my 08. I can't remember why exactly. It was either that the bit was at an angle or that I couldn't get a good mark with the receiver plate installed which you'd have to do to get your drill mark. Take a look at my receiver plate in my blog (link above). Was your truck the 08-10 model Ford? Each installation is different by model. Anyway, I'd hate for the OP to mess up his truck without us clarifying.

Brent
    I didn't specify the model truck it was on. The truck I installed on the pin bases were both outside the frame rails. I was not aware that for the OP truck one was over the frame. Sorry to have given wrong information.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When mounting in bed rails for my F250, I purchased the Curt under bed custom mounting brackets. At the same time, I was installing AirRide airbags.

Unfortunately, I still had to do a bunch of drilling to mount the Curt brackets as not all holes lined up.

I followed directions and drilled the holes in the bed from above. They lined up exactly with my Curt brackets below.

My truck has factory installed helper springs, and they didn't get in the way at all.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the SuperRails and bed rails this weekend. Pretty straightforward, although I hit a few small snags. In hindsight I probably spent too much time measuring / re-measuring the hole locations for the bed. In the end the 1 3/4" hole they have you cut is more than big enough to make up for being off by 1/8" or so when you mark the holes.

I also seemed to have found a discrepancy between the directions and reality. The front holes on each of the SuperRails didn't have a corresponding existing hole in the frame so I had to drill brand new holes. That was fun! lol

Here's the missing holes I'm talking about. Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Bed rails in place:

Just need the hitch and the Momentum now!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job PG! Yeah, I had to drill that hole on each side too. The Superglide Hitch is freakin' heavy brother.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS