Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2970RL Coupler Hitch Measurement

Hello,

Does anyone know if Grand Design would have the measurement of the top of the tow ball coupler when level? 2970RL

Rather than me hooking up and dragging it to a parking lot that might or might not be level, I'm hoping to get this info easier.
    Then I can calculate out the drop I need to use on the truck side to maintain a near level tow.

If not, where's the best location to test to level the trailer for tow? inside on the floor or counter with a level or does it need to be done on the trailer frame rails somewhere?

Thnx, D.P.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No bites on this one.. bummer.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynodp1 View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone know if Grand Design would have the measurement of the top of the tow ball coupler when level? 2970RL

Rather than me hooking up and dragging it to a parking lot that might or might not be level, I'm hoping to get this info easier.
    Then I can calculate out the drop I need to use on the truck side to maintain a near level tow.

If not, where's the best location to test to level the trailer for tow? inside on the floor or counter with a level or does it need to be done on the trailer frame rails somewhere?

Thnx, D.P.
    To my knowledge GD doesn't measure and provide this information. Any flat parking lot, driveway, or dealer lot, whatever would suffice. You could use the tongue or the inside floor to place the level. Each RV will be a little different as too level height of the tongue ball coupler based on the setting suspension, tires and such. Most likely with RV level and to the top of the ball coupler, you will be in the neighborhood of 18 inches. Back in the day of welded hitch heads, this used to be the starting height. But I think each RV will be a little different. We had an Imagine 2950RL at one time but I never measured it to the top of the ball coupler when level.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-26-2022 at 08:49 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I’m sure I’m over thinking.. just need to find some space at a flat lot…. I think i need a bit more drop on my Equilizer ball…

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount that your truck squats will effect this measurement and have to be a part of the calculation.
    Whether you have the hitch set up for dead level to start, or guess at a starting point, the trip you make to the level parking lot (with your camper loaded for a camping trip) will show where you need to be.
    Go through the instructions for your hitch brand to set the correct tension to move weight back the the front of your tow vehicle.
    For me, this was a multi step process to get the hitch dialed in for: level trailer/correct weight distribution/bars in recommended position (parallel to ground).
    I fine tune my set-up with my air bags when necessary (fill fresh tank / kids go with us / pack more or less than "usual")

When you go to that level parking lot, take the necessary tools with you to make the adjustments.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider the frame most likely straight before the coach is constructed. So if you measure height to the same frame point front and rear and they match, you can now measure to the ball socket. The ground only needs to be consistent vs perfectly level. No dips or valleys or humps.
    Randy and Kris