User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we crazy?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first big trip in my Rockwood I had the pleasure of having the power jack break. A quick trip to a local farm and home store solved it with a cheap hand crank jack that was quickly replaced the moment I got home. On other trips over the last 4 years I've had a kitchen sink drain develop a leak, a stabilizing jack break, and a toilet foot valve quit working. Sounds like a lot doesn't it? Meh. None of them caused a trip to end. The only one that almost did was the toilet foot valve but we found one at an RV store about 20 miles away and had to use grandpa's potty in his until I got it fixed.

It's amazing what you can fix with a basic tool set, screw gun/drill, some zip ties, duct tape, and a little on the fly engineering. You're pulling around a house that's made to be light enough to tow with a 1/2 ton truck, and have all the comforts of home. Something's gotta give. Travel enough and you'll have to fix stuff.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy is clinical determination. You seem nice and sane.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A #2 Robertson screw driver for almost every screw inside and outside the RV.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084HJD4P3

The one in the link above is a nice one that I use.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If You're Crazy, We're Crazy

Like you, we just picked up a slightly used 2021 240ML in great condition (like new), to pull with our F150. We just got back yesterday from our first 3 day trip (shakedown cruise), and had a blast. It was a great opportunity to make a list of the additional things that we need to buy for the RV as either necessities, or just things to make life more comfortable. Still looking to add a TPMS, and wondering if you like what you purchased and if you would recommend it.

At this point, the only fear that might dissuade us from going on a long road trip would be fear of higher gas prices. Not liking the prices right now, but they are still doable. If they get up to $6/gal or higher, that becomes a harder pill to swallow. Even then, that won't stop us from doing shorter distance getaways all summer long.

I wouldn't let concerns about things that could happen worry you, or you won't go anywhere out of fear. like others have said, repairs are just part of the RV life, and it sounds like you are already preparing for them.

+1 on the Mopeka propane tank monitors that @Ynot4me2 mentioned above. The only other item I would add to the list of things to consider would be a propane fire pit. Over the weekend on Saturday, there was a Red Flag warning (dry condition with winds), meaning no burning wood, or charcoal. No problem, while others didn't have campfires that night, we were cozy around our propane fire pit! Outland makes really nice units you can buy on Amazon, and Costco has an Outland unit on sale this month.

Have fun on your trip.
    Steve & Laura
    2021 Transcend 240ML
    2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost 4x4 SuperCrew SB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. I bought the TireMinder TM-77 4 tire kit from Camping World. They were having a clearance sale for $239. Haven't set them up yet. On my list for this week.
    We looked at a propane fire pit but after buying a camper and a truck we prioritized our goodies with a Clam Quick Set screen room (necessity in FL), a Weber Q-1200 grill and a Coleman Propane 2 burner stove. I converted the Weber to use the low pressure output from the RV quick connect. Used it last week and it works great. I also added a quick connect to the regulator so I can also use it with a regular 20lb to 1lb hose. Will be using that hose for the Coleman too. (Extra 20lb tank going in the truck bed)
    Tested the built in generator on my truck and it runs everything in the camper without getting close to maxing out.

Gas is what it is (thanks Joe!) It hurts but we can't just sit around at home getting older

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advise.
    If something goes wrong, I'll take the Garmin GPS attitude...."Re-calculating"
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    If something goes wrong, I'll take the Garmin GPS attitude...."Re-calculating"
    When I first started making ferry flights across the US, I flew with a much more experienced pilot. Every evening I would spend hours planning the next day: fuel stops and airport hops, weather etc.
    Finally after he watched me waste so much time every night, he told me something that sticks with me today: "You plan too much. Your plan will not last much more than the first stop, if that."

The same is true with your travels in an RV. I like to have a general idea of what is going to happen, but there are too many variables. So try to have fun and roll with it as you go. It's not a vacation, it's an adventure.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such great advice from experienced RV’ers. Go with the flow and find out what works for you. Over time we’ve discarded as many “must-have” accessories as we’ve kept. What works for other families may not work for you so be OK with tossing or selling something when you find it’s just not your thing.

Only other thing I’d add is beware of gauging travel time based on what Google Maps or Apple Maps tells you. Towing a trailer slows you down a lot so that 6 hour jaunt on your first leg is likely closer to 7 or 7 1/2 between fuel stops, traveling below the speed limit and the obligatory potty calls. At least for us, 6 to 7 hours is about as long as we like to tow in a day.

Happy camping!

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    My wife and I are brand new to RV'ing. We bought a 2021 22RBE in what appears to be great condition. We used our TT for two nights at a local State park as a shakedown and didn't find any issues (except for my wife wanting to buy more "stuff to make it look nicer"

We've planned out a 8-10 day trip mid May to go from Tampa FL to Cherokee, NC and visit the Smokies. We'll be traveling with another noob who has a Little Guy Max. It's right at 600mi each way.

We plan a 2 night stop near Macon, GA (6hr of moving drive time) and then a one day drive to Cherokee (4 hrs.)
    With our gas milage we'll need to fuel up at least every 200 mi.

Maybe I've been reading too much on the forums about what can happen to the trailers. Tires, dump valve problems, water heaters leaking, tongue weight AHHHHHH

I added a tire minder system, have GS roadside assist, a good tire gauge, torque wrench, air compressor, bottle jack and a few tools.
    We still need to pack what we'll be taking and get to the CAT scales and see where we are.

Are we being overly ambitious for our first real trip or is this easily doable?
    you will be fine, slow steady and enjoy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t forget to crawl around under the trailer before you go, look at the shackles, shackle hangar welds, springs, u bolts, etc. look your tires over from under there also. I think this is will go a long ways to keeping you from a roadside repair.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all overly ambitious, and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

A few tips (others have mentioned as well):

1) Air the tires on the truck up to the max pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire.
    2) Grease all the zerks on the trailer before you take off. If possible, have the bearing repacked, it's about time for a 2019 trailer if it's not been done yet.
    3) You already have this covered, but install TPMS and keep your eye on it. You'll add 20-30lbs when you're towing, that's normal (my tires go from 110 to 130 or so after about 1hr on the road).
    4) Make sure you have a decent spare for the trailer, and the tools to change a tire (correct wrench, a way to jack the trailer, etc)
    5) Test the brakes as soon as you hook up. Trailers often get grease on the brakes and they work like crap, you don't want to tow that far with bad brakes!
    6) Tractor trailers are your friend towing a big RV. Get in line with them and follow their pace.
    7) Have a fuel up plan. Pulling a big RV into a normal gas station can be exciting. You want a big station, or, best of all, if your truck is diesel, get a TSD card so you can fuel with the tractor trailers, that's much easier when you're 50ft long.
    8) Take it easy. You're not going to spend much/any time in the left lane. You'll get passed 100's of times an hour. Just roll with it, DO NOT let others "encourage" you to go faster.

Our 2nd trip with our RV was ~900 miles each way. It snowed and rained while we were driving. It was stressful, but I never felt like "we're gonna die", just "this requires a lot of concentration". I was tired when we got there, but we did fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast