Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we crazy?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we crazy?

My wife and I are brand new to RV'ing. We bought a 2021 22RBE in what appears to be great condition. We used our TT for two nights at a local State park as a shakedown and didn't find any issues (except for my wife wanting to buy more "stuff to make it look nicer"

We've planned out a 8-10 day trip mid May to go from Tampa FL to Cherokee, NC and visit the Smokies. We'll be traveling with another noob who has a Little Guy Max. It's right at 600mi each way.

We plan a 2 night stop near Macon, GA (6hr of moving drive time) and then a one day drive to Cherokee (4 hrs.)
    With our gas milage we'll need to fuel up at least every 200 mi.

Maybe I've been reading too much on the forums about what can happen to the trailers. Tires, dump valve problems, water heaters leaking, tongue weight AHHHHHH

I added a tire minder system, have GS roadside assist, a good tire gauge, torque wrench, air compressor, bottle jack and a few tools.
    We still need to pack what we'll be taking and get to the CAT scales and see where we are.

Are we being overly ambitious for our first real trip or is this easily doable?
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me. Going north from Venice on 75 I usually stop at the KOA in Tifton, GA. A nice KOA with a hiking trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think being cautious is a good thing, but you can’t ever enjoy life if your worried about what might happen. If everything always went perfect it wouldn’t be an adventure! Just be as prepared as you can and enjoy the trip.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound far more prepare than most. You might even have and read the manual? Radical!

My free advise is to increase the truck tire pressure closer to the max tire rating, as that increases tire load capacity. The tire pressure on the door has ride comfort in mind. Don't neglect annual maintenance to include re-packing the bearings.

Before the payload police tell you that you must have at least an F450 to tow your trailer, I will tell you the F150 max tow is a formidable machine. Our 2012 F150 Platinum 3.5L w/ Max Tow pulled our 2600RB for 20,000 miles from the Rockies to the East Coast to Michigan and back home to Texas, several times. The only mods we did (to the truck) was Michelin LTX and Ford Heavy Duty brakes.

Safe Travels!
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    You sound far more prepare than most. You might even have and read the manual? Radical!

My free advise is to increase the truck tire pressure closer to the max tire rating, as that increases tire load capacity. The tire pressure on the door has ride comfort in mind. Don't neglect annual maintenance to include re-packing the bearings.

Before the payload police tell you that you must have at least an F450 to tow your trailer, I will tell you the F150 max tow is a formidable machine. Our 2012 F150 Platinum 3.5L w/ Max Tow pulled our 2600RB for 20,000 miles from the Rockies to the East Coast to Michigan and back home to Texas, several times. The only mods we did (to the truck) was Michelin LTX and Ford Heavy Duty brakes.

Safe Travels!
    Thanks for the tire tip.
    We bought the Trailer in Macon and towed it back home with the F-150. No problems (except fuel guzzling)
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Sounds good to me. Going north from Venice on 75 I usually stop at the KOA in Tifton, GA. A nice KOA with a hiking trail.

We have reservations in High Falls State Park just north of Macon
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t listen to the tow police either, I tow a 265BH with an F150 5.0, doesn’t give me an issue. All I use is Roadmaster RAS and Recurve R3 WDH with 1000lb bars, I’m within my payload and towing capacity. Hardly any sway, and no porpoising. I think as long as you know your values, drive at a reasonable speed, and you are prepared as can be there won’t be an issue. Again, have fun!

Setting Up Camp
    Just west of the longitudinal center of Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone else here has gone through the same stuff you are going through. You will get past it, just stay curious and learn from other folks. Most people will give advice willingly in this community. Still, remember to use your own best judgement.

Since 2004 we have bought 5 trailers. 1) used small fiberglass clamshell trailer. 2) 17' Funfinder X in 2005. 3) 19' Sunset Trail in 2008. 4) Grand Design 2150 RB in 2019. 5) and we have traded the 2150 RB in for a 2022 2670MK (32') which we pick up next month. We have sold our house and are going to full-time in the 2670MK. Once the bug bites, it bites hard.

Good luck and have a lot of fun.

Tom

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advise is the basic should be to protect your rig. Good quality EMS, TPMS, water pressure, water filter. After that the goodies start, Anderson levels, GMG Trek, Blackstone, mopeka tank monitoring...... oh My! Lol one thing I've come to appreciate that I have is the 4 x 10ft sewer dump (they were on special and cheaper then 2 x 20ft) , 2 x 25 ft fresh water hose.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first trip with our very first trailer was a 4000 mile round trip from Ontario to British Columbia and back. Not one issue. Personally I consider your trip a conservative one...not crazy at all.
    But....ya know....what is crazy is very subjective...lol....next guy might say you are off your rocker...
    Remember, these forums are where people complain and find answers. There are LOADS of people out there with minimal or no issues at all. However, do your research and be as prepared as you can be.
    Bring some tools. Bring a meter. Bring a jack to change a trailer tire. Know how to safely change a trailer tire. Experience comes with miles of towing.
    Learn how to roll with the punches...
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 04-09-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast