User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we crazy?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did similar to you - Bought our GD Imagine 2670 in Grants Pass. OR. Spent a couple night shake down to Crater Lake, then home to the Seattle area. Then due to a planned Voluntary Lay-off from my job, we moved back home to Florida. Packed all of our stuff in two Large POD's which were stored for months. and we began our great cross country adventure from Seattle to Central Florida. We spent four glorious months, as newbies, figuring things out. We soon learned we had brought things we didnt use or need and we had to buy a few things we didnt know we needed. Its a learning process. You will learn with experience.

Our set up the first time was over two hours. Now with my wife's help, we're done in about 30 minutes!

Have fun, be safe and enjoy. Most of all learn from your trips. You'll have things down soon enough. Don;t forgot a great resource is all these great folksonweb sites such as this!!

Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    My wife and I are brand new to RV'ing. We bought a 2021 22RBE in what appears to be great condition. We used our TT for two nights at a local State park as a shakedown and didn't find any issues (except for my wife wanting to buy more "stuff to make it look nicer"

We've planned out a 8-10 day trip mid May to go from Tampa FL to Cherokee, NC and visit the Smokies. We'll be traveling with another noob who has a Little Guy Max. It's right at 600mi each way.

We plan a 2 night stop near Macon, GA (6hr of moving drive time) and then a one day drive to Cherokee (4 hrs.)
    With our gas milage we'll need to fuel up at least every 200 mi.

Maybe I've been reading too much on the forums about what can happen to the trailers. Tires, dump valve problems, water heaters leaking, tongue weight AHHHHHH

I added a tire minder system, have GS roadside assist, a good tire gauge, torque wrench, air compressor, bottle jack and a few tools.
    We still need to pack what we'll be taking and get to the CAT scales and see where we are.

Are we being overly ambitious for our first real trip or is this easily doable?
    It sounds like you're on your way to a good start. As far as fueling goes with a gas motor you're really going to be stuck at using smaller gas stations. Until you learn where your pivot point is and your trailer tires track behind the truck you might want to do shorter trips and camp overnight. And when the trailer is disconnected go and refill the truck. About the only other major component I would buy as far as camping goes would be a water pressure regulator. A lot of trailer Parks have to high water pressure for RVs and you'll end up damaging your plumbing. So at the spigot put your water pressure regulator on and then attach your water hose to the regulator and then to the RV. A surg protector for you power would also be a good idea. And don't be afraid to talk to other campers, most of us are very willing to help out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Sounds like you are pretty well prepared. My only thought is distance traveling in a day. From a couple full timers 67 and 73, we've learned to keep a days travel at 250 miles or less. If Google maps says it is 3 hours we add at least 1 hour to the trip. We travel at 65 mph max plus time to stop for lunch, walk the dog and stretch our legs and another to maybe gas up or switch drivers. You may be younger and more energetic and you are probably stoked for your first trip so just enjoy your trip! You will love the Smokey Mountains! We are spending the summer in Waynesville, NC.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are brand new to RV'ing. We bought a 2021 22RBE in what appears to be great condition. We used our TT for two nights at a local State park as a shakedown and didn't find any issues (except for my wife wanting to buy more "stuff to make it look nicer"

We've planned out a 8-10 day trip mid May to go from Tampa FL to Cherokee, NC and visit the Smokies. We'll be traveling with another noob who has a Little Guy Max. It's right at 600mi each way.

We plan a 2 night stop near Macon, GA (6hr of moving drive time) and then a one day drive to Cherokee (4 hrs.)

Maybe I've been reading too much on the forums about what can happen to the trailers. Tires, dump valve problems, water heaters leaking, tongue weight AHHHHHH

I added a tire minder system, have GS roadside assist, a good tire gauge, torque wrench, air compressor, bottle jack and a few tools.
    We still need to pack what we'll be taking and get to the CAT scales and see where we are.

You’re not doing or thinking anything that most of also do. I’m a firm believer in being prepared for most “hiccups “ while on the road with our rigs. Don’t let the potential “hiccups” ruin the good times ahead. I just completed a round trip to Florida from upstate NewYork without any issues. We’ve put over 8000 miles on our rig in the last two years without any issue. Enjoy!
    Mike & Deb
    2019 F-350 Power Stroke, Lariat, CC, 4x4, SRW
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have good time

Sounds like you are prepared and I don't think your first trip is too ambitious. Please remember, you can not plan for all problems you may encounter. Just keep your rig maintained and enjoy the trip.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to think about, is getting a RV specific GPS, or truckers one. You can get an app on your phone for it also. The main reason is that Google maps thinks you are a Yugo, and at times, will put you on roads you really should not be on while towing. The RV/Trucker GPS systems will tailor your route according to your length (truck+trailer). It also does height, which even though you are not that tall, could be a concern.

Sounds like you are prepared, and have a great trip. Enjoy it, and know that you may not have everything you need, that will be for the next time. And as mentioned, when setting up, or taking down, and you have a question, all the campers around you will help. Most have BTDT, and are happy to help.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 04-17-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you mostly have it covered - there will always be something but there are resources everywhere to take care of most of that. I assume you carry a well stocked tool bag with maybe even some power drivers/bits etc. You major headache will be Atlanta. There is no good route around it just try to miss heavy traffic times and no matter what you will swear you hit rush hour! Once you get on 85 heading to 441 you are home free. We used to camp and had a house in Cherokee for 10 years and drove the route every season from tarpon springs. We now just travel 9 months a year all over the place. One thing, you might want your co-driver to make a note of rest areas and fuel locations even if you do not stop at them so in the fiutiure you will have some information at your fingertips if you need a stop or fuel. jmo mark
    F 350 DRW pulling 395 MS-R (2021)
    B&W 25K hitch
    past: Dutchstar, GD 34 ft. trailer, Montana 295 RL 5th, gas Class A's, and many more such RV's

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL's all of us veteran RVers can scare the bejesus out of new owners. They can feel with all the warnings, advice and additional things to buy it isn't worth the hassle or headache. But it is!

Heck you'll be a veteran RVer in no time and sharing your advice to other newbies.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
    Sounds like you mostly have it covered - there will always be something but there are resources everywhere to take care of most of that. I assume you carry a well stocked tool bag with maybe even some power drivers/bits etc. You major headache will be Atlanta. There is no good route around it just try to miss heavy traffic times and no matter what you will swear you hit rush hour! Once you get on 85 heading to 441 you are home free. We used to camp and had a house in Cherokee for 10 years and drove the route every season from tarpon springs. We now just travel 9 months a year all over the place. One thing, you might want your co-driver to make a note of rest areas and fuel locations even if you do not stop at them so in the fiutiure you will have some information at your fingertips if you need a stop or fuel. jmo mark
    Thanks for the idea of logging fuel and rest stops. Only going to get just north of 200mi on a tank towing.
    Google maps routes us on I 675 around Atlanta then I 85 to I 985 to US 23 all the way up. Is 85 to 441 to 23/441 a better route? I've driven on 23 near Tallullah Falls before. If I recall it was fairly narrow with lots of curves.
    We have driven to Blue Ridge many times through downtown Atlanta. There is no good time of the day to do that
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the route that makes sense to us. 675 to 85 to 985 and then eventually 23 turns in to 441 at the same time. There have actually been times that going right thru Atlanta on 75 is better than 675 ( not often, check traffic). We always breath easier when we leave 85 and are on 985 - less traffic, getting near NC, etc. jmo mark
    F 350 DRW pulling 395 MS-R (2021)
    B&W 25K hitch
    past: Dutchstar, GD 34 ft. trailer, Montana 295 RL 5th, gas Class A's, and many more such RV's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123