User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion AC Temp Sensor Relocation: Alternative, parts-free method

If you have a Furrion AC unit, you've certainly noticed the temperature fluctuations, especially if you try to use the heat without running the fan. Sticking the temp sensor through the filter media helps somewhat, but your AC may short-cycle with this configuration. The correct thing to do is relocate the temp sensor. GD will send you a free relocation kit if you ask support, but that involves running wires and finding a place to poke a hole.

The wiring from the Furrion wall controller to the roof unit MAY (your system may be different) include extra conductors depending on what Grand Design had available at the time they built your unit. In my case, I had extra conductors so I went ahead with this relocation method. Here's what I did.

disclaimer: do this at your own risk. It's not hard if you're used to working with small gauge wiring.

credit: @BigDinMB for astutely noticing the extra conductors and asking if anyone has ever tried this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	39905
    Step 1: Identify your wire bundle in your roof unit. Mine had three extra wires. We'll use white and yellow for our task today.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	39906
    Step 2: Remove the wall unit. It comes off with a quarter turn lefty loosey. I also removed the backing plate as seen here since I needed to enlarge the factory hole in the wall slightly to get all those big blocky splice connectors out. (yes, my slide is only partly open... shame on me...)

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	39907
    Step 3: Isolate your spare conductors and strip away any outer insulating jacket to free up some slack.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	39908
    Step 4: Cut off the existing temp sensor with enough slack on both ends of your cut to make some splices. No turning back now! Strip and splice the wires together. Splice each conductor individually, then optionally shrink wrap the whole works together for added strength. I used heat shrink solder connectors you'll see in subsequent photos. They work great.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	39909
    Step 5: Splice your temp sensor leads to the remote ends of your spare conductors. I used heat shrink solder splice connectors but butt connectors would probably work too. The conductors in the wire bundle are not braided though and I don't like butt splicing solid conductors when solder is a thing that exists.
    Last edited by uwskier; 04-09-2022 at 03:15 PM.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	39910

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	39911
    Step 6: TEST! Body heat works well. The sensor temp should rise pretty quickly if you give it a light squeeze. GREAT SUCCESS!!!!

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	39912
    Step 7: Put everything back together and clean up. Grab a beer and tell your wife what a studly man you are. When she finishes laughing, reminder her that she'll be happy when the heat and AC works better next time.

I don't have unfettered access to my wall controller (you can probably call it a thermostat now) where I park since I can't open my slide all the way, so I just left the sensor there as a tail for now. I'll figure out a way to make it look better on our next outing. I think I'll drill a small hole right below the controller and have it protrude there. That or I've thought of housing it inside the controller itself and fabricating a plat that holds the controller away from the wall slightly to let airflow in. TBD.

Thanks for reading!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	39910

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	39911
    Step 6: TEST! Body heat works well. The sensor temp should rise pretty quickly if you give it a light squeeze. GREAT SUCCESS!!!!

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	39912
    Step 7: Put everything back together and clean up. Grab a beer and tell your wife what a studly man you are. When she finishes laughing, reminder her that she'll be happy when the heat and AC works better next time.

I don't have unfettered access to my wall controller (you can probably call it a thermostat now) where I park since I can't open my slide all the way, so I just left the sensor there as a tail for now. I'll figure out a way to make it look better on our next outing. I think I'll drill a small hole right below the controller and have it protrude there. That or I've thought of housing it inside the controller itself and fabricating a plat that holds the controller away from the wall slightly to let airflow in. TBD.

Thanks for reading!
    Our control is in the master bedroom. What will that do for the bunkhouse area? Seems like you would want it in the center of the camper so everyone is comfortable. Plus if you have your master bedroom door closed the temperature will be a lot different in the other rooms. I’m going to leave mine hanging out of ac. It seems that’s the best place.

2400bh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thegreenblade; 04-09-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    Our control is in the master bedroom. What will that do for the bunkhouse area? Seems like you would want it in the center of the camper so everyone is comfortable. Plus if you have your master bedroom door closed the temperature will be a lot different in the other rooms. I’m going to leave mine hanging out of ac. It seems that’s the best place.

2400bh

Interesting they put the controller in a bedroom. On mine, it's in the main living area. Would have expected the similarly laid-out 2400bh to be the same.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Interesting they put the controller in a bedroom. On mine, it's in the main living area. Would have expected the similarly laid-out 2400bh to be the same.
    So you have a 2400bh?

2021 2400bh
    Never mind i see u have a 2600

Last edited by thegreenblade; 04-09-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following up on this: AC works like it should have from the factory with this mod. No short cycling, and accurate temperature. Heat cycles on and off too much since the heat outlet is right below the sensor (basically). Need to ensure you have something in the way like a trash can or something to help redirect the warm air out into the main cabin a bit more.

But all-in-all, I'm very happy I made this mod. We typically don't use the heat anyways and use space heaters if we need them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for this. Just did mine this afternoon. works great.
    we have a 2600rb also, I had the extension kit from Grand Design, the only part I used was the round screen sensor housing, mounted the sensor just above the tstat.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this detailed instructions! Will be doing this tomorrow barring I have the extra wires in the bundle!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent instructions and great insight on taking advantage of the unused conductors.

I changed the process a bit by cutting up the sensor extension harness from GD and used it on both ends rather than cutting the temperature sensor cable. Completely reversible install if, for some reason, it needs to go back to original.

Thank you for opening my eyes to this great fix.
    Kevin & Carol
    Nomads since June 2021
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2020 F250 SuperCrew 4WD 6.7L MaxTow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandaddy View Post
    thanks for this. Just did mine this afternoon. works great.
    we have a 2600rb also, I had the extension kit from Grand Design, the only part I used was the round screen sensor housing, mounted the sensor just above the tstat.
    Does anyone happen to know the GD part# for the temp sensor extension/relocation kit? I called customer service and was first told I'd have to take it to a dealer, have it inspected, approved by Furrion, etc... when I pushed back, I was asked for part# so I could be sent the correct part.

Thanks,
    Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast