Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel hitch education

Wife and I both like the 320/350 more than the 29G. Next up is 5th wheel hitches. I have no idea where to start with them. If I ever get my F-350 it will have the factory 5th wheel prep. It will be a crew cab short bed. Do I need a slider? What's the big difference in all the different brands? Pros and cons to each? My neighbor just put a Curt 25K in his chevy 2500. Its honestly the first time I've looked closely at one. Looks like it breaks down into two pieces to be removed which seems nice if you need the bed or want to put it away in winter to keep it out of the elements. How much capacity do I need for a 320g or 350g?

Any good videos or resources to educate me? If not, what do you like?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Curt 24k, didnt care for it. I'd buy a B+W Companion over the Curt if I were in that position again. It was an ok hitch and worked, it wasnt the easiest to break apart and there was a lot of play in the jaws. There wasnt a good way to lock the hitch in place for theft protection either (talking about unlocking from the 5th wheel, not the truck).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best is doing a search, there is tons of info and opinions on what you are looking for. Because you are looking at a short bed, what hitch you get (sliding or non-sliding) will be what your comfort level will be. I would love to have a Gen-Y gooseneck setup on my trailer, but due to the hill that I call my driveway, there is a very good chance of hitting the cab, so I have a Reese Sidewinder hitch setup. A sliding hitch would also work just as well. Mostly flat land, almost any hitch will work, and for a conventional hitch, a B&W companion is probably the most popular. Gooseneck is either the Goosebox, Gen-Y, or the Andersen AUH.

If you are going to order a 320/350, make sure you get the optional 8K lb axles. It not only raises the GVWR from 16,800 lbs to 18,000 lbs (must be done on the production line), but with the standard 7K axles, with everything full, you may exceed the axle weights. It also adds the disc brakes, and damn are they nice. Pin weight, you could be anywhere from 3,000 lbs to 3,700 lbs depending on how you load it.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I plan on the 8,000lb upgrade. I'll have a SXS in the back.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Wife and I both like the 320/350 more than the 29G. Next up is 5th wheel hitches. I have no idea where to start with them. If I ever get my F-350 it will have the factory 5th wheel prep. It will be a crew cab short bed. Do I need a slider? What's the big difference in all the different brands? Pros and cons to each? My neighbor just put a Curt 25K in his chevy 2500. Its honestly the first time I've looked closely at one. Looks like it breaks down into two pieces to be removed which seems nice if you need the bed or want to put it away in winter to keep it out of the elements. How much capacity do I need for a 320g or 350g?

Any good videos or resources to educate me? If not, what do you like?
    I prefer an auto slider - like the Demco Hitchhiker or Pullrite Superglide.

While lots of folks say it isn't needed I have a dent in my tucks cab that says otherwise.

I prefer the latching mechanism of the Demco (and I think Pullrite) that encircles the hitch pin rather than the clamping style of the B&W.

It looks like you will need a 20K hitch for the size of what you are considering.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 04-10-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods