User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up until now, we didn't spend enough continuous time in the northeast to meet the criteria for a transponder. So, I signed up for a Maryland Pay By Plate EZ-Pass account with the plate numbers for both vehicles (car and truck). The charges are generated by the plate scanners and cameras and we don't have to maintain transponders. It's a bit more expensive each trip than having a transponder, but cheaper than having nothing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    It could be a Virginia thing but I have two ezpass. One for just the truck without the trailer. Then one for when pulling the trailer. I had to provide them with the trailer info for them to set it up in the system. The second one is a blue color so I don't have to worry about mixing them up. I would be concerned about making the changes to my account and getting charged tolls when not pulling the trailer as some tolls are 3 to 5 times the cost with a trailer in tow.
    Also with EZpass Virginia. I have the "blue" (towing) transponder too, in addition to my white everyday one.
    I don't use the blue one. After several experiences, EZpass "sees" my transponder + trailer license plate, and bills appropriately. I leave the white one on the windshield and just drive. EXpass figures it out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    It could be a Virginia thing but I have two ezpass. One for just the truck without the trailer. Then one for when pulling the trailer. I had to provide them with the trailer info for them to set it up in the system. The second one is a blue color so I don't have to worry about mixing them up
    Same in NY. I have a white pass for bobtail and a blue one for the trailer.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMOsgood2016 View Post
    EZ pass is set up for the tow vehicle. The blue ones are used for commercial trucks, white for the rest of us. Some states charge for the transponder, others don't. We purchased ours in NH our home state.
    Nod, just the white transponder here. Also from NH, we've been on EZPass since the beginning. NH gives a break on tolls within the state, we don't get that from other states.

PS: Welcome to the forum @RMOsgood2016, nice to see a fellow New Hampshirite here.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Up until now, we didn't spend enough continuous time in the northeast to meet the criteria for a transponder. So, I signed up for a Maryland Pay By Plate EZ-Pass account with the plate numbers for both vehicles (car and truck). The charges are generated by the plate scanners and cameras and we don't have to maintain transponders. It's a bit more expensive each trip than having a transponder, but cheaper than having nothing.

Rob
    Hi Rob, how much time would a person need to spend in that part of the country to make a transponder worth it? Or even how much time to warrant the Pay by Plate? Thinking of spending a couple of months up and down the east coast for a vacation and wondering if it is even worth bothering with.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Ohio EZ-pass for years until we recently cancelled because I don't travel for work anymore. There is a 75 cents/month fee. They charge by the number of axles. What I CAN say is that I have been from the east coast to Iowa and back (mostly I-90) and I can tell you that I never had to stop the vehicle. My beef was that it took 48 hours for them to post the charges to my profile (for expensing purposes) and 3-5 days for other states. Let me add one more thing... Everything you heard about the tenacity of Ohio State Troopers to write tickets is ABSOLUTLY true!!!! Watch your speed!

www.ezpassoh.com
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Hi Rob, how much time would a person need to spend in that part of the country to make a transponder worth it? Or even how much time to warrant the Pay by Plate? Thinking of spending a couple of months up and down the east coast for a vacation and wondering if it is even worth bothering with.
    For the transponders in Maryland when I was looking at doing that, the rules were different for us because we didn't have Maryland plates. There was also a "startup fee" (initial cost to the transponder) and it had to be used a certain number of times in a particular time period in order to keep it active. There are no such requirements for Pay By Plate, which is why we went that way. Sometimes it can take the Pay By Play tolls months to hit your credit card, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For convivence I just purchased an Oklahoma EZ Pass for our trip through TX and OK. All they wanted to know was the number of axels that you have. Four for my F250 and Reflection 295RL. They require an initial $40 to open your account which you can top up online when the balance gets low as you use the tolls.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also consider getting an I-Pass from Illinois. No fees for periods of non-use, and recognized in all EZ-Pass states. I have one registered for multiple cars (with and without trailers) and never an issue with correct billing from any state we go through. Just finished my what seems to be twice yearly trip from Minn, through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania with a side trip to Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey with it.
    Each state varies as to cost, non-usage fees, and discounts for their toll systems. Some offer a bonus starting amount to use when signing up.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had posted earlier in this thread about the I-Pass. It has been great. When the transponder needed to be replaced because of age, they sent me a new one no problems. Has worked great for 10+ years.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast