User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSewell View Post
    you mentioned a process for removing your Pullrite from the bed of your truck. Please elaborate. I was going to purchase a cherry picker engine crane but decided for once a year in and out I would enlist my two middle aged sons for the job. It'll cost me dinner but a chance to see the grand son. Truck is pretty well useless for 6 months of the year. Needed a sheet of drywall a few months back and had to borrow my kids truck.
    Back when I pulled inboard engines from boats and a few cars, I rigged a chain hoist (non-powered) to an A-frame joist in the garage. It worked very well. You could back the truck under the hoist, lift the hitch, pull the truck out, and lower the hitch onto a dolly or cart of your choosing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Back when I pulled inboard engines from boats and a few cars, I rigged a chain hoist (non-powered) to an A-frame joist in the garage. It worked very well. You could back the truck under the hoist, lift the hitch, pull the truck out, and lower the hitch onto a dolly or cart of your choosing.

Rob
    Rob, that as well has been suggested to me as well. In reality for twice a year, once in and once out I think I will get my boys over. The hitch appears to come apart in numerous pieces each held together with cotter keys. The heaviest being the head which I suspect weighs no more than 80 pounds. I paid one of the young kids at the shop to do the switch over from the old truck to the new. Took him less than an hour, but also using a cherry picker. Thanks. Dave

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had numerous hitches. I did rig an engine host for the heavy ones but that was a lot of effort in any case to remove the hitch. I love the Andersen. Easy in, easy out. I can flip the ball in the bed and have a clen bed. I do not seem to have any problem hitching up.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies and feedback. The Anderson is different from what I am use to seeing. To be honest, looks less capable but I suppose it works as indicated from replies. I do like the fact it frees up the bed quickly and with less weight. The fiver weight we are looking to would be around 9200 lbs and a pin weight of around 1700 give or take dry.

The dealer we looked to does Anderson and recommended it. I will do more research and make an informed decision.

Once again, thank you for the replies.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanrazor View Post
    Thank you all for the replies and feedback. The Anderson is different from what I am use to seeing. To be honest, looks less capable but I suppose it works as indicated from replies. I do like the fact it frees up the bed quickly and with less weight. The fiver weight we are looking to would be around 9200 lbs and a pin weight of around 1700 give or take dry.

The dealer we looked to does Anderson and recommended it. I will do more research and make an informed decision.

Just so you'll know for future searches, the hitch company is spelled "Andersen" (with an "e" in the last syllable). The AUH is more than capable of handling the weights you're talking about.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Just so you'll know for future searches, the hitch company is spelled "Andersen" (with an "e" in the last syllable). The AUH is more than capable of handling the weights you're talking about.

Rob
    I always muck that spelling up. Lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which way are you going?
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanrazor View Post

I use a AUH with my F-250 and a Reflection 303, the way we travel/camp it’s about 11,000# with 2050# of pin weight, based on CAT scale tickets. That’s right at 50% of the AUH rated capacity. I’m very comfortable with that and it has performed very well. If I had a 5er that was >16k or >3200 pin, I would have probably gone a different direction.

The pros are the light weight, it’s the big draw as many 3/4 tons are payload limited, and it’s easy to put in and remove, alone… hitching up is pretty easy, especially on uneven terrain, that can be real plus for boondocking.

The cons seem to be, you need to have a torque wrench available for installation, mine just lives in my truck now, and it’s not expensive, a $25 one from Harbor Freight is sufficient to give you a consistent torque. There is a risk to over tightening, the steel bolts thread into the Aluminum frame, it’s tough stuff, but I try to limit the number of times I install and remove it each season. I average 3-4 times per season, and I don’t see any real wear yet after 2 years. I wouldn’t want to do it weekly.

I’ve been very happy with my choice, it has worked well for me and it’s performed as designed, it’s a great choice to limit weight in the truck while towing. If the clean bed is very important, and you switch out often, then I’d seriously consider a Reese Goosebox or a GenY setup, it’s a $ premium, but it’s a solid choice, with a dampened ride. I have yet to find someone with one who is unhappy with the choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, from Andersen's data page:
    - Rated at 24,000 lbs GTWR and 4,500 lbs tongue weight
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Which way are you going?
    If the question is directed at me……I think through research and response here the Andersen will be the way I go. Easily detached and frees the bed up and seems to get great ratings and feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12