User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Andersen hitch

What are one’s thoughts on a Anderson Ultimate gooseneck hitch system for a fiver?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the B&W hitch myself. It's all personal preference, and a bit of prejudice.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot provide an informed comparison between a traditional fifth wheel hitch and an Andersen. I’ve only used the Andersen. It is very easy to hook up and it is so light that it’s easy to remove. It also makes hooking up on uneven terrain easy. I like mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3073ADF0-D393-4B87-B82C-62A289758354.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	39977
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Andersen. Easy in and out. Tows great.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We towed our first 4-1/2 years (full-time) with an Andersen Ultimate and liked it. They are very quiet and articulate well - but still require a dampened pin box to deal with chucking. We converted to a standard FW hitch (PullRite OE Super 5th) when we traded trucks and couldn't get an adapter for the Andersen in time. I'll have to admit that I now prefer the standard hitch for hitching up - significantly easier to do.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had (and still have actually) a Pullrite automatic slider. Great hitch. Quite heavy. I had a good process for taking it out of bed though.

Decided to give Andersen a try, primarily as I wanted to lighten my truck load, and the Andersen is obviously significantly lighter than the Pullrite.

So far, I prefer the Andersen in terms of hook up, ease of removal, etc. So, just the opposite of Second Chance. But, I do agree with him, you need a dampened pin box to reduce/eliminate chucking. Chucking is bad on poor roads. I still have to get the dampened pinbox.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We towed our first 4-1/2 years (full-time) with an Andersen Ultimate and liked it. They are very quiet and articulate well - but still require a dampened pin box to deal with chucking. We converted to a standard FW hitch (PullRite OE Super 5th) when we traded trucks and couldn't get an adapter for the Andersen in time. I'll have to admit that I now prefer the standard hitch for hitching up - significantly easier to do.

Rob
    I would agree with this. I have a Goosebox which is even a little harder than the Andersen as you cant see the ball without a bed cam but it does have an air bag and shocks absorbers included. My Dad and brother have an Andersen and have pulled with it several times

IMO If you don't need or care about a clean bed then a standard hitch is probably the way to go as its the easiest to hook up. If you want or need an empty bed than the Andersen or Goosebox is the way to go. I'm pretty used to hooking it up so it doesn't bother me anymore but it's definitely not as easy as a standard 5th wheel. For me though, I love just popping out the ball and having a fully clean bed.

Good luck
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've nothing to compare it with, first rig and first hitch. However, after a year of towing I love the AUH! I can get it in/out in about 5 minutes, and it's easy to store. As part-timers, it's good to be able to easily free up the bed of the truck.
    The Solitudes come with a dampened pin box, so I can't speak to the problems without one of those.

Word of warning, call Anderson before you buy one, to ensure you get the correct one. There is the standard and a "new" model, that goes in the 2020+ model trucks with the higher bed rails.
    Last edited by JM0397; 04-11-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I had (and still have actually) a Pullrite automatic slider. Great hitch. Quite heavy. I had a good process for taking it out of bed though.

Decided to give Andersen a try, primarily as I wanted to lighten my truck load, and the Andersen is obviously significantly lighter than the Pullrite.

So far, I prefer the Andersen in terms of hook up, ease of removal, etc. So, just the opposite of Second Chance. But, I do agree with him, you need a dampened pin box to reduce/eliminate chucking. Chucking is bad on poor roads. I still have to get the dampened pinbox.

Mike
    you mentioned a process for removing your Pullrite from the bed of your truck. Please elaborate. I was going to purchase a cherry picker engine crane but decided for once a year in and out I would enlist my two middle aged sons for the job. It'll cost me dinner but a chance to see the grand son. Truck is pretty well useless for 6 months of the year. Needed a sheet of drywall a few months back and had to borrow my kids truck.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave the hitch connected to the king pin. Disconnect the mounting pins from the truck bed. Lift the hitch up with the trailer. Pull truck out. Lower hitch onto a rolling work bench I bought from Home Depot a few years back. Roll it into the garage.

Reverse to connect.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast