Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GMC Trailer Auxiliary Camera Installation, Part 3

We have a 2021 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali and tow a 2019 Grand Design 310GK. The truck has all the bells and whistles, and we would like to add the Trailer Auxiliary Camera (Models W/Trailer - GM (84946379) to the back of the trailer. This will allow us to see the camera view through the existing infotainment radio screen. I have bitten the bullet and purchased the camera and now I’m ready to install it.

I’m going to install with the cable outside and run it under the trailer on the door side of the trailer. From there up through the propane compartment and out to the front pin hitch. If you have this camera installed, how much did it cost to install and how long did it take? I’ve been quoted already by one mobile repair shop of 3 hours at $139.50/hr. Just doesn’t look like a 3-hour job to me. Thoughts?

When installing it on your GMC Trailer profile, what numbers did you use for these questions?

1. Center of coupler to furthest rear point
    2. Center of coupler to middle of tires
    3. Left edge to right edge of the trailer
    4. Ground to tallest point of trailer
    5. Ground to top of coupler
    6. Center of coupler to trailer front wall
    7. Hitch receiver to center of ball

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all those dimensions are needed for the “transparent trailer” view on your screen. This computer magic image only works for travel trailers that are 32 feet or less long. And, I don’t think it works for fifth wheels at all.

Also. To get the transparent trailer view the camera has to be mounted low in the middle of the back of the trailer. Which means running a wire across or down or both on the back of the rig.

I have a 37 foot trailer and mounted the camera up near the roof. I ran the wire across the top edge over to the ladder. Down the ladder and under the trailer to the connection on the bumper of the truck. Lots of zip ties but easy project. The camera comes with 59 feet of wire.

I didn’t fill in any of those numerical values and don’t use the transparent trailer view.

I love the camera. Good image, no delay, great in all sorts of lighting. I leave the image on the screen most of the time while towing.

For the fifth wheel, one issue is running the wire down to the plug on the bumper. Not ideal but could done.

For the total job, 3 hours sounds about right to me. But not a difficult DIY project. Here is a link to some pics of my install.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...377#post358377

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You your taking the time to respond to my questions.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK