User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pellet Smoking Etiquette

Love using our pellet smoker at home, so started doing research on portable pellet smokers for the TT. This got me thinking about the amount of smoke pellet smokers can put off. Campfire smoke is par for the course in campgrounds, so using a pellet smoker there shouldn't be a problem. But what about RV parks where RVs are packed in like sardines in a can. Is it bad etiquette to use a pellet smoker (or any smoker for that matter) at a RV park? Yes, I realize that some RV parks may have explicit rules preventing their use. My question pertains more to parks that don't state one way or the other on the use of smokers. Is it bad form to use one?
    Steve & Laura
    2021 Transcend 240ML
    2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost 4x4 SuperCrew SB

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not want one going right next to me if the sites are very close together. I love the smell from a distance, but don't want my rig filled with smoke.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer (with the influence of this forum LOL) I bought a GMG Trek and it tags along with us on trips. Smokers will smoke a lot when they start for a few minutes and then you hard see the smoke unless you change the temp. People will stop by a ask questions, have a beer and sometimes even stay for supper. Lol. Now, like with anything else theres common sense. So if Rob is only 6 feet away from us and down wind on a windy day, we'll go to his trailer for supper. Lol We also carry with us our portable bbq so if firing the smoker doesn't make sense. New to the cooking arsenal is the Blackstone 22. I'm suspecting that the blackstone will replace the bbq.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skrantzman View Post
    Love using our pellet smoker at home, so started doing research on portable pellet smokers for the TT. This got me thinking about the amount of smoke pellet smokers can put off. Campfire smoke is par for the course in campgrounds, so using a pellet smoker there shouldn't be a problem. But what about RV parks where RVs are packed in like sardines in a can. Is it bad etiquette to use a pellet smoker (or any smoker for that matter) at a RV park? Yes, I realize that some RV parks may have explicit rules preventing their use. My question pertains more to parks that don't state one way or the other on the use of smokers. Is it bad form to use one?
    We have a Treager Tailgater that is always in the rig. It is our preferred way to make dinner while camping. It does smoke a lot, especially when starting up but once up to temp it doesn’t smoke that much. The direction of the wind usually dictates where it will be set up, especially if our neighbors have their windows open. There have been times, although rarely, when we didn’t use it because it would have smoked someone out.

I don’t think we have ever been bothered by someone else’s use of a pellet grill, I love the smell too. Many times we have been bothered by an inconsiderate neighbor’s smokey campfire blowing right into our rig. It’s all part of camping though and sure beats working!

You guys sound like you would be good camping neighbors!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be fine unless you have to park it close to the next camper. There is bound to be some breeze..so...locate accordingly.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize upfront for hijacking this thread.
    But it reminds me of an experience we had, that in retrospect is hilarious.
    Before competing in AKC field trials with our dogs, we entered AKC Hunt Tests. One of our first ones was in NM. Upon arriving at the test grounds ( a bunch of farm fields) we checked in with Test Headquarters. We were directed to the RV parking area. which was along the HQ road for about 150 yards to where the road made a 90 degree turn. We were the first RV so we decided to setup right at the 90, thinking that we would not have any neighbors on our porch.The next morning it seemed to have worked well.lots of RVs behind us and nobody on our porch side.. I had an early brace and left. Upon returning DW was in a tizzy. Parked on the road just after the 90 was a rig with a large horse trailer. The horses were gone and the hired hand had a boom box blasting mexican tunes and was shoveling a months worth of horse manure out of the trailer...This growing mound of manure was about 10 feet from our front door. Then the flies arrived. It was like a bad horror flick. Our white TT had so many flies covering it that it appeared black! DW told me that these two women arrived in a big rush, spoke some spanish to the hired hand and rode off on the horses.
    She had enquired at HQ as to who they were, and found that they were judges...... Obviously we could not complain about them, being as they were going to judge our dog. All the other spots were now occupied.so we couldn't move. We were stuck.

On the positive side our dog did get 3 Master Hunter passes that weekend... And we now have a story to entertain others with
    Last edited by huntindog; 04-11-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the GMG Davy Crocket, as others have said it smokes a lot when first starting up but not bad at temp. In sardine campgrounds we wouldn't use it but then camp fires would be a problem as well. We also have a Firebowl propane pit, no smoke but that's mostly so we don't have to buy or haul wood or have campfire clothes . We have been smoked out a few times by others campfires, we just close our windows.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skrantzman View Post
    It’s nice to see someone being considerate of neighbors. Thanks.

My thought is that if you have to ask then maybe it isn’t such a good idea. But the exact circumstances of each location might dictate whether-or-not it is a good idea at the time.

I enjoy the smell of a good BBQ, I just wouldn’t like to in the smoke tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO CGs are inviting for all types of uncontrollabe nuances. From smoke from a fire or smoker, load noises from trucks and coaches, loud music, drunk partyers, unsuppervised kids, barking dogs, etc..

Especially now with the "COVID" rush of campers, the old days of consideration may be a thing of the past.... But even back when we started some 30 yrs ago, we never assumed it would any different, cause people are going to do what they do. So we have always adopted that fact and just go along to get along.... cause its a CAMPGROUND, full of all types of folks.

I guess it comes down to this.... would rather spend our time enjoying what we have and not worrying about others, and hope common sense pervails.

So ya, go ahead and smoke your smoker. Just realize what comes around goes around.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On occasion we take our Traeger Jr. It will smoke quite a bit the whole time if set to smoke. About every 4-5 mins or so it will dump a lot of smoke in the air so we are cognizant of where we are parked. We would never use it in a sardine style RV park. We usually know where we're going and decide to take or not.
    Out dry camping in the woods where sites are spaced out a bit more all bets are off and we really don't worry about the smoke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast