User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you that when my tired butt sits down in the recliner next to the fridge, it stays down. lol
    And I like to read the names of the songs it plays off my phone, so moving it 90 degrees was the one of the best mods I have done to the 5W...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more. The sound system that came with our 2018 394 was horrible. I'd guess that Grand Design spent less than $100 for the whole system. Given we bought a Grand Design, I would have expected more. None the less, I replaced everything with Alpine components...it rocks!! Glad you got a system you can live with also. Cheers!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design? Is there any similar priced RV with a good sound system?

As long as the consumers are willing to pay for these cheap RV products, they will keep installing junk. Most of the RV's with the good stuff are double what we paid for. No reason to blame the companies. They are selling products what we want. Cheap and looks good.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The sound system that came with our 2018 394 was horrible. I'd guess that Grand Design spent less than $100 for the whole system. Given we bought a Grand Design, I would have expected more. None the less, I replaced everything with Alpine components...it rocks!! Glad you got a system you can live with also. Cheers!!
    Brad, what head unit did you install?
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Since the sound systems in RVs aren't known for their high fidelity, I wasn't expecting much when I fired up the iRV62 stereo in my 2022 260RD. And I wasn't surprised either when it sounded "tinny" (to say the least).

My first step was to replace the speakers. Here's what I found:

Attachment 39998

Not surprising that the system sounded terrible with those cheap Chinese speakers.

I replaced them with a set of Polk Audio DB522 DB+ Series 5.25" speakers (Available here on Amazon, shop well and they can be had for under $50)

Here's what it looks like after the installation:

Attachment 39999

The DW isn't pleased with the black color of the grills, I may either paint them or try to find some white grills. The grills that came with the original speakers wouldn't fit over these.

However, I still wasn't completely sold with the sound, not enough base. Decided a subwoofer would fix that.

Attachment 40000

Went with the BLAUPUNKT GTHS81 8" Amplified Subwoofer 320-Watts (available here on Amazon). Mounted it on the shelf behind the TV, the unit came with mounting brackets and screws. Routed the cabling through the port already in the wall.

Now I have a sound system that I can listen to. Works great when trying to watch a movie (think T Rex in Jurassic Park) or listening to music.

The iRV62 head unit that came with my 260RD seems to work well enough for me. The manual is rubbish (surprise, not). It took some trial and error, but I managed to connect the subwoofer to a subwoofer output on the back of the unit. Connected the subwoofer power supply to the same cables as the iRV62. Adjusted the inputs on the subwoofer to get good volume without distortion. Note that the iRV62 has a subwoofer control built-in. One simply clicks down the volume control, then several sub-menus become available including subwoofer volume along with tone and balance. After some adjustments, I was in sound heaven.

Note: The subwoofer doesn't turn off when the iRV62 is put into "standby" mode. That means it is on all the time. My next move is to add a rocker switch to turn it off when not in use (don't want to drain the batteries).
    Nice, I replaced my speakers with 2 infinity speakers. No sub; however, the Infinity's sound 100% better than the OEM.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Equalizer 2, 4-point hitch.
    2015 GMC Savana 2500 6.0 liter
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Grand Design? Is there any similar priced RV with a good sound system?

As long as the consumers are willing to pay for these cheap RV products, they will keep installing junk. Most of the RV's with the good stuff are double what we paid for. No reason to blame the companies. They are selling products what we want. Cheap and looks good.
    Although we prefer the Grand Design hands down. The Jayco bunkhouse we had prior had a MUCH better sound system with 4 ceiling-mounted speakers. I replaced the OEM speakers in the GD with Infinity's and the sound is quite good. Very easy, inexpensive also. Even my twenty-something kids were impressed.
    Last edited by Zorro55; 08-08-2022 at 12:00 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC210 View Post
    Brad, what head unit did you install?
    Alpine iLX-507. I also replaced all the speakers with Alpine R-S65.2, and added two more in the ceiling closer to the kitchen. Three Alpine AMPs and a sub. I had the system installed for me by a local hifi shop.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alpine iLX-507. I also replaced all the speakers with Alpine R-S65.2, and added two more in the ceiling closer to the kitchen. Three Alpine AMPs and a sub. I had the system installed for me by a local hifi shop.
    You know that coach is thumping !!
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must sound great!
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have GOT to do something about the sound from the OEM "sound" system that GD put in ours. Not only is there absolutely no bass from the el cheapo speakers (either inside or out) our radio is affected by alternating side sound level drop outs. It's making me crazy. Crazy to the point of wanting to toss out all the speakers and the head unit and start over.

If you had to, what would you all suggest I put in for a reasonable costing replacement head unit?
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast