User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1
    Site Team Soundsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,138
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mod of Stereo System

    Since the sound systems in RVs aren't known for their high fidelity, I wasn't expecting much when I fired up the iRV62 stereo in my 2022 260RD. And I wasn't surprised either when it sounded "tinny" (to say the least).

    My first step was to replace the speakers. Here's what I found:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220412_185429542.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	39998

    Not surprising that the system sounded terrible with those cheap Chinese speakers.

    I replaced them with a set of Polk Audio DB522 DB+ Series 5.25" speakers (Available here on Amazon, shop well and they can be had for under $50)

    Here's what it looks like after the installation:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220412_185310527(1).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	39999

    The DW isn't pleased with the black color of the grills, I may either paint them or try to find some white grills. The grills that came with the original speakers wouldn't fit over these.

    However, I still wasn't completely sold with the sound, not enough base. Decided a subwoofer would fix that.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220412_185211994.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	40000

    Went with the BLAUPUNKT GTHS81 8" Amplified Subwoofer 320-Watts (available here on Amazon). Mounted it on the shelf behind the TV, the unit came with mounting brackets and screws. Routed the cabling through the port already in the wall.

    Now I have a sound system that I can listen to. Works great when trying to watch a movie (think T Rex in Jurassic Park) or listening to music.

    The iRV62 head unit that came with my 260RD seems to work well enough for me. The manual is rubbish (surprise, not). It took some trial and error, but I managed to connect the subwoofer to a subwoofer output on the back of the unit. Connected the subwoofer power supply to the same cables as the iRV62. Adjusted the inputs on the subwoofer to get good volume without distortion. Note that the iRV62 has a subwoofer control built-in. One simply clicks down the volume control, then several sub-menus become available including subwoofer volume along with tone and balance. After some adjustments, I was in sound heaven.

    Note: The subwoofer doesn't turn off when the iRV62 is put into "standby" mode. That means it is on all the time. My next move is to add a rocker switch to turn it off when not in use (don't want to drain the batteries).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

  2. #2
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Soundsailor no mention of the IR remote control?

    Our first month or in the new 260RD and I thought my wife was gong to sell the trailer and get something else because you can't use the remote from the recliner.

    I haven't decided if I want to work on a mod (there's a post somewhere describing how to install an after market IR receiver) or but an entire replacement for the iRV62 first.

    And our speakers buzz - haven't attempted to chase down that problem.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

  3. #3
    Site Team Soundsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,138
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmullin View Post
    Our first month or in the new 260RD and I thought my wife was going to sell the trailer and get something else because you can't use the remote from the recliner.

    I haven't decided if I want to work on a mod (there's a post somewhere describing how to install an after market IR receiver) or but an entire replacement for the iRV62 first.

    And our speakers buzz - haven't attempted to chase down that problem
    So sorry to hear about your experience with the remote Mike (@Mmullin), actually I don't use the remote so I don't have any experience there. All of the content I use is managed through Plex (https://www.plex.tv/). I have over one thousand movies, more than five thousand episodes of TV shows, and more than fifty-five thousand music tracks on my Plex server. I'll be posting a description of this system once I have completed installing it. A quick snapshot: the server is running on a Raspberry Pi (This kit on Amazon has everything you would need but there are many other ways to get a Pi.). My media library is stored on a USB drive (This the one I'm using but any USB drive will work). Plex has a client for the Roku TV that came with my 260RD, so I'm using the TV remote, not the iRV62 remote. And my music is mostly streamed via Bluetooth so I'm using the controls on my phone for that. There is an app for the iRV62 that works on Bluetooth, for me that did work from the recliner.

    Not surprised that your speakers are buzzing. If you look closely at the picture I posted of the speakers I pulled, you'll see that the cone of the speaker is all bent up. Changing the speakers was quite easy, just twist off the speaker grill, remove a few screws, remove the leads from the old speaker and attach them to the new ones, then put the screws back in to hold the new speakers.

    As for replacement, I thought about going that route but decided against it for two main reasons. First off is the conclusion that there aren't many units that are a quick replacement for the iRV62. I didn't want to have to cut out a larger hole for a new head unit. Secondly (and decisive) was that a new unit wouldn't help the sound that much. Replacing the speakers and adding the subwoofer did much more for the sound than anything I could have done with a new head unit.
    Last edited by Soundsailor; 04-14-2022 at 07:18 AM.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

  4. #4
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional info @Soundsailor! All easily actionable suggestions.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

  5. #5
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sub fits behind the TV when it's stowed for transport? I may do something similar. The speakers in my Imagine leave a lot to the imagination. Where'd you pull the power from for the sub and where are you grounding?
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2016 Sierra Denali

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really a help running from DC, but I added a Sonos Beam and used the mount below. Installed the amount upside down above the TV using through bolts and fender washers.

    Sonos Beam Wall Mount Bracket, Black, Includes Mounting Hardware Kit to Hang Your Soundbar, UK Design [Gen 2 Compatible] https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07K8GLQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

    We use a Sonos Roam for outside sound. Helps keep the volume at a level that doesn't bother neighbors.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

    2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

  7. #7
    Site Team Soundsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,138
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    Not really a help running from DC, but I added a Sonos Beam and used the mount below. Installed the amount upside down above the TV using through bolts and fender washers.

    Sonos Beam Wall Mount Bracket, Black, Includes Mounting Hardware Kit to Hang Your Soundbar, UK Design [Gen 2 Compatible] https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07K8GLQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

    We use a Sonos Roam for outside sound. Helps keep the volume at a level that doesn't bother neighbors.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a very good solution. Since we camp a lot off-grid, I was looking at something that wouldn't require AC power.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

  8. #8
    Site Team Soundsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,138
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    That sub fits behind the TV when it's stowed for transport? I may do something similar. The speakers in my Imagine leave a lot to the imagination. Where'd you pull the power from for the sub and where are you grounding?
    Yes, the sub fits well behind the TV. For power and grounding, I just added some larger Wago wire connectors and Td off from the existing connections for the head unit. There's probably a more elegant approach, but it worked for me. I'm a big believer in the KISS principle.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

  9. #9
    Setting Up Camp nogascans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Jesup, Georgia
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Since the sound systems in RVs aren't known for their high fidelity, I wasn't expecting much when I fired up the iRV62 stereo in my 2022 260RD. And I wasn't surprised either when it sounded "tinny" (to say the least).

    My first step was to replace the speakers. Here's what I found:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220412_185429542.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	39998

    Not surprising that the system sounded terrible with those cheap Chinese speakers.

    I replaced them with a set of Polk Audio DB522 DB+ Series 5.25" speakers (Available here on Amazon, shop well and they can be had for under $50)

    Here's what it looks like after the installation:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220412_185310527(1).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	39999

    The DW isn't pleased with the black color of the grills, I may either paint them or try to find some white grills. The grills that came with the original speakers wouldn't fit over these.

    However, I still wasn't completely sold with the sound, not enough base. Decided a subwoofer would fix that.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220412_185211994.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	40000

    Went with the BLAUPUNKT GTHS81 8" Amplified Subwoofer 320-Watts (available here on Amazon). Mounted it on the shelf behind the TV, the unit came with mounting brackets and screws. Routed the cabling through the port already in the wall.

    Now I have a sound system that I can listen to. Works great when trying to watch a movie (think T Rex in Jurassic Park) or listening to music.

    The iRV62 head unit that came with my 260RD seems to work well enough for me. The manual is rubbish (surprise, not). It took some trial and error, but I managed to connect the subwoofer to a subwoofer output on the back of the unit. Connected the subwoofer power supply to the same cables as the iRV62. Adjusted the inputs on the subwoofer to get good volume without distortion. Note that the iRV62 has a subwoofer control built-in. One simply clicks down the volume control, then several sub-menus become available including subwoofer volume along with tone and balance. After some adjustments, I was in sound heaven.

    Note: The subwoofer doesn't turn off when the iRV62 is put into "standby" mode. That means it is on all the time. My next move is to add a rocker switch to turn it off when not in use (don't want to drain the batteries).
    Any chance there is a "sense" switch on subwoofer to detect signal or power down? Pretty standard on indoor and car audio subs that can be enabled or disabled.

    Sincerely,

    David

  10. #10
    Site Team Soundsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,138
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nogascans View Post
    Any chance there is a "sense" switch on subwoofer to detect signal or power down? Pretty standard on indoor and car audio subs that can be enabled or disabled.

    Sincerely,

    David
    Thanks, David, I didn't find one. One of the leads to the subwoofer is supposed to connect to the head unit to get a signal to turn off or on. However, when I connected that to the appropriate lead from the iRV62, the subwoofer doesn't turn on. I ended up connecting it to the positive power lead, but in that configuration it doesn't turn off.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.