User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about what I need to have on hand related to Wheel Bearings

I am looking at servicing my wheel bearings (no issue suspected, just time for maintenance) and have reached out to Grand design for the specific parts. Which, they provided. however it is a total list of the axle, bearings, brakes, etc...

If I were to want to purchase a set of bearings to have on hand, what other parts would you think would be needed. It's been awhile since I've packed bearings on a trailer. I've watched a couple youtube videos and there don't seem to be any gotcha's.

I was looking for an exploded view, Etrailer kind of gives me what I was looking for though.

If anyone knows of an exploded view that would be appeciate or if you have any other thing that might be helpful.

The list I think I should get is: 4 each of inner and outter bearing cones, and seals. and then maybe 1 each of the inner and outer cups.

I've attached the parts they sent me, would that sound like a good kit to keep on hand as well?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axleparts.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	40036
    Jared, Sam and Titan
    2018 Ford F250 6.2
    2020 Grand Design 2450RL
    Equalizer WDH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did that job. I had 2 sets of bearings and cones in case I needed them which I didn’t. To go with these kits, I had a brass drift punch and cone insertion tool. Didn’t use them either.

I did use a bearing grease packer device and a seal puller tool. And, of course a grease gun and grease. And a giant 1 1/2 socket for the big nut. And a torque wrench.

Used a hammer and screw driver to get the hub cover off.

Mineral spirits, brake cleaner, and compressor to clean the bearings. (And brakes if they are greasy, one of them was a little greasy so sprayed it down). Used a little brake cleaner to make sure hubs were clean too. Don’t want any grease in there.

Some of that red permatex make a gasket stuff that Dexter recommend to put on outside of bearing seal.

4 new seals as these things get destroyed getting them out.

I didn’t need Cotter pins as my hubs have a reusable keeper for the big nut.

Plenty of paper towels and blue shop towels.

etrailer supplied the bearings, cones, seals and the seal puller tool and the cone installer tool.

https://www.etrailer.com/Lubricants-...l/PTW1219.html

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2711...ps%2C84&sr=8-6

Amazon supplied the bearing packer tool and permatex

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-LNL...dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8163...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Bottle jack and jack stand and some blocking wood

Breaker bar to get the lug nuts loose.

Cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight that everybody seems to have.

Cold beer to celebrate at the end of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Helpful response for sure. I have a bearing packer but didn't think about the seal puller. When I say awhile it's been 20 years at least lol. But I'm handy and should be alright.

Really appreciate it!
    Jared, Sam and Titan
    2018 Ford F250 6.2
    2020 Grand Design 2450RL
    Equalizer WDH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always bring it up when I see it, but that's just the OCD kicking in. Don't use a brass drift to drive bearings, the brass will splinter off and you'll end up with bearings with bitty pieces of brass in them. Use a piece of soft iron, and never use the hammer face to directly drive in the bearings. Okay, I'm off the soapbox.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that's the stuff to know....

And you can now have a pangalacticgargleblaster as thanks.
    Jared, Sam and Titan
    2018 Ford F250 6.2
    2020 Grand Design 2450RL
    Equalizer WDH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you know where your towel is.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to get grease all over it.
    Jared, Sam and Titan
    2018 Ford F250 6.2
    2020 Grand Design 2450RL
    Equalizer WDH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbor Freight has a bearing installation tool kit, cheap insurance to seat them correctly. I use a 4x4 to install the seal, placed lengthwise and then use a hammer on the wood. The hub will stop the wood and the seal will be set, has always worked perfect for me (make sure the wood isnt splintered or anything prior to use).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a zip lock bag with rubber gloves and a light weight safety vest in case I have to do something road side.
    Good call above about brake cleaner. I didn't have that in my kit, now I will.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by microm3gas View Post
    I am looking at servicing my wheel bearings (no issue suspected, just time for maintenance) and have reached out to Grand design for the specific parts. Which, they provided. however it is a total list of the axle, bearings, brakes, etc...

If I were to want to purchase a set of bearings to have on hand, what other parts would you think would be needed. It's been awhile since I've packed bearings on a trailer. I've watched a couple youtube videos and there don't seem to be any gotcha's.

I was looking for an exploded view, Etrailer kind of gives me what I was looking for though.

If anyone knows of an exploded view that would be appeciate or if you have any other thing that might be helpful.

The list I think I should get is: 4 each of inner and outter bearing cones, and seals. and then maybe 1 each of the inner and outer cups.

I've attached the parts they sent me, would that sound like a good kit to keep on hand as well?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axleparts.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	40036
    Are these Grand design part numbers? or the manufacture? I've tried to google search the numbers but nothing is popping up.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast