Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    @BeerBrewer & @goducks14

I don't anticipate having to replace bearings, just repack. But I'd rather have 2 sets on hand, instead of finding a problem and being stuck waiting on ordering & delivery. (based on the many stories - admittedly from the vocal few rather than the satisfied many)

It will be 3 years by end of summer, probably hit 5k miles. They've never been inspected, showing no warning signs yet. Upping my preventative maintenance game.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Oh okay, right on.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Oh okay, right on.
    You can order a number of different ways. I have to wonder if dexter is popular enough to have clones running around out there like the counterfeit Motorcraft parts. I was able to get actual dexter parts off etrailer as another option for you (dexter stamped right into the seals).

I ended up taking my bearings to Napa and matched them while doing the job. The Napa brand in my area was SKF, either made in China or India depending on whether I bought the kit that included the races, or the bearings and races separately. I know a lot like Timken because USA (myself included), but that’s what they had and it’s at least a known brand.

FWIW I did the job today and found no true issues at any of the four wheels. About 6500 miles on a 2019 trailer that had a repack 1.5yrs ago (we are about to do some cross country traveling). I ended up re-packing two wheels and replacing two wheels (even though they probably didn’t need it) because I saw some light discoloration on the bearings. Should have taken pictures to get some more experienced opinions!
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished bearing repack on my 1 year old TT with 12,000 miles. Dexter 5,200 lb axles. All bearings, cones, hubs looked like new. Even brake pads were only slightly worn.

I have two spare sets of bearings and seals with all the tools and lube to replace them, that I expect never to need except for peace of mind.

Also in that box are a couple of new wet bolts and bushings and a press to get em out. No kidding.

Right next to the 6 ton jack stands and 10 pieces of 2 x 12 x 15 lumber. (Safety First)

Oh. And the bottle jack, torque wrench, breaker bar, compressor (great for blowing out all the brass filings from the hub after hammering out the cones with a brass drift <grin>), (also good for blowing old grease out of the bearings without spinning them, of course) generator in case I need to run the compressor whilst parked on the Interstate shoulder, can of brake cleaner, PEX crimping tool for when one of my 3 water alarms goes off in the middle of the night in a full KOA, …

Whew, perhaps I should have gone for that 3500 instead of a wimpy HD truck to haul all this stuff across the country and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Just finished bearing repack on my 1 year old TT with 12,000 miles. Dexter 5,200 lb axles. All bearings, cones, hubs looked like new. Even brake pads were only slightly worn.

I have two spare sets of bearings and seals with all the tools and lube to replace them, that I expect never to need except for peace of mind.

Also in that box are a couple of new wet bolts and bushings and a press to get em out. No kidding.

Right next to the 6 ton jack stands and 10 pieces of 2 x 12 x 15 lumber. (Safety First)

Oh. And the bottle jack, torque wrench, breaker bar, compressor (great for blowing out all the brass filings from the hub after hammering out the cones with a brass drift <grin>), (also good for blowing old grease out of the bearings without spinning them, of course) generator in case I need to run the compressor whilst parked on the Interstate shoulder, can of brake cleaner, PEX crimping tool for when one of my 3 water alarms goes off in the middle of the night in a full KOA, …

Whew, perhaps I should have gone for that 3500 instead of a wimpy HD truck to haul all this stuff across the country and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you use your HD to carry all those tools, what do you tow your rig with. LOL just pulling your leg.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Dexter 4400 lb axles on our last trailer and I bought the bearings at AutoZone. Had to take few out take him up to AutoZone and match him up no problem

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    You can order a number of different ways. I have to wonder if dexter is popular enough to have clones running around out there like the counterfeit Motorcraft parts. I was able to get actual dexter parts off etrailer as another option for you (dexter stamped right into the seals).

I ended up taking my bearings to Napa and matched them while doing the job. The Napa brand in my area was SKF, either made in China or India depending on whether I bought the kit that included the races, or the bearings and races separately. I know a lot like Timken because USA (myself included), but that’s what they had and it’s at least a known brand.

FWIW I did the job today and found no true issues at any of the four wheels. About 6500 miles on a 2019 trailer that had a repack 1.5yrs ago (we are about to do some cross country traveling). I ended up re-packing two wheels and replacing two wheels (even though they probably didn’t need it) because I saw some light discoloration on the bearings. Should have taken pictures to get some more experienced opinions!
    Several years ago I left my 5th wheel behind on a cross country trip due to a bearing burn out which required a new axle. Since Dexter would have to build the axle and freight it to me, it would be 12-14 weeks before I'd get it. None in stock. I ended up coming home with a new RV at a significant cost. The first thing I did with my new RV was to change the bearings out with Timken bearings. There was a significant difference in the material and weight of the China bearing to the Timken USA made one. The shop kept getting Timken bearings with the box stating made in China. To get a true Timken USA-made bearing, you have to buy it from a Timken dealer. That was the case several years ago and I think, that is still the same... I found a dealer and bought the bearings for the repair shop. SKF is also supposed to be a USA-made bearing but based on your findings, that may no longer be the case. On a cross-country trip, the one thing that can bring all things to a stop is a bearing that eats into the axle. I am surprised the RV had not gone up in flames, as I have seen others do...over my fifth plus years of camping. And unless you have a trusted mechanic, do the work yourself.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost info in the following is current as of April 2020.....

I have the 2020 2670mk and dragged through this with the help of Kris on the 2670mk FB page. Kris had done the job on his 2019 and figured out the Timken Bearing set number equivalents.

Hub-Drum Kit Dexter #K08-407-90 (EZ Lube)
    Brake Size 10" x 2-1/4", 6 Bolt Hub

Bearing (Inner)
    - Dexter Kit #K71-390-00 or Timken Set17
    *Cup: Dexter #031-033-01 or Timken L68111
    *Cone: Dexter #031-033-02 or Timken L68149

Bearing (Outer)
    - Dexter Kit #K71-307-00 or Timken Set6
    *Cup: Dexter #031-032-01 or Timken LM67010
    *Cone: Dexter #031-032-02 or Timken LM67048

Grease Seal 1.72"ID x 2.565"OD x 0.500" Double Lip
    - Dexter #010-019-00 (single) or #K71-303-00 (2 pack)
    - Lippert #333960 (2 pack) or #333961 (10 pack)
    - Timken #473336 (single)

Dexter has a single kit which contains parts for one wheel - one inner & one outer bearing, one grease seal and one cotter pin - Dexter #K71-718-00. On their web site store it sells for $46.14 plus tax & shipping. The individual Timken bearing sets are well priced at Summit Racing (Set17 $8.99/Set6 $7.99) or Zoro (Set17 $7.80/Set6 $7.02).

The Timken Grease Seal is available at Summit Racing for $6.99 - Zoro does not carry it. The Dexter on-line store has the seal 2 pack for $16.04 and you can get the Lippert 10 pack on Amazon for $31.00.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard enough horror stories about how poorly lubed the factory set was so I replaced all of mine on my rockwood last year with Timken bearings and seals from summit, which was surprisingly the lowest cost option. Nothing wrong with the OEM bearings, but the timken seals were much thicker. Between the new bearings, and fresh Lucas Red 'n Tacky all the way around it reduced the operating temperatures on all the hubs significantly. On the hottest day I can put my hand on the hub even after lengthy braking. I didn't have my laser thermometer at the time but I would have loved to know. They were never crazy hot, but they run much cooler now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12