User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter Bearing Kits

I have to be missing something here....

I have Dexter 4400# axles on my 2020 2670mk, getting ready for my first bearing job. (all your other posts have been very, very helpful!)

The kit part number is K71-718-00.

On the Dexter site it's $65. On Trailer Parts Superstore/Eastern Marine, it's $37. What am I missing?

Dexter
    Trailer Parts Superstore
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying directly from manufacture can be more expensive sometimes but also check shipping costs.

You might even find a deal at your local trailer parts store.
    Last edited by Corky2; 04-14-2022 at 12:28 PM.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordering from Dexter, you're getting as close to OEM as possible, which doesn't mean it isn't made in China. Ordering from someplace you may or may not be getting OEM parts regardless of what the listing says.

But FWIW, many time direct from manufacturer/supplier is higher than aftermarket. Kind of like ordering from Ford is higher than ordering from Rock Auto.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Ordering from Dexter, you're getting as close to OEM as possible, which doesn't mean it isn't made in China. Ordering from someplace you may or may not be getting OEM parts regardless of what the listing says.

But FWIW, many time direct from manufacturer/supplier is higher than aftermarket. Kind of like ordering from Ford is higher than ordering from Rock Auto.
    Are you talking counterfeit parts?

I've bought Dexter parts from local shops and even Amazon and never suspected they were not Dexter parts.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Are you talking counterfeit parts?

I've bought Dexter parts from local shops and even Amazon and never suspected they were not Dexter parts.
    Dexter doesn't make bearings so one should be able to source the appropriate sizes and races from whichever manufacturer one prefers, though it wouldn't likely be a kit that way.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Dexter doesn't make bearings so one should be able to source the appropriate sizes and races from whichever manufacturer one prefers, though it wouldn't likely be a kit that way.
    Dexter might not manufacture the parts but Dexter sells parts under their name and part numbers so if someone buys Dexter parts under a Dexter part number it should be a Dexter part. But many parts on a trailer axle are interchangeable with other brands.
    Last edited by Corky2; 04-14-2022 at 01:58 PM.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask why you're replacing bearings on a 2 year old TT? Most people just pull the hubs, inspect, clean and grease the OEM bearings and and install a new seal.
    You have Dexter axles with Dexter bearings so it doesn't make sense to replace 2 year old Dexter bearings with new Dexter bearings.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a question, but why are you replacing your bearings? Is this something that needs to be done often? We own a 3 year old Transcend 26RLS with 10,000 miles on it, its our first trailer. Every spring I take the hubs apart, clean out all of the old grease, inspect the bearings, replace the rear seals, repack the bearing with grease and put it all back together. So far the bearings have looked fine, without any signs of overheating.

I am usually, if it ain't broke I don't fix it kind of guy, but I do believe in preventive maintenance. I carry 2 sets of bearings and seals in the trailer, along with grease, just in case. How often should bearings be changed?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect to get 50,000 or more miles out of a set of bearings that are properly maintained. Thats assuming the bearings are good quality to start with. 10 years of towing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BeerBrewer & @goducks14

I don't anticipate having to replace bearings, just repack. But I'd rather have 2 sets on hand, instead of finding a problem and being stuck waiting on ordering & delivery. (based on the many stories - admittedly from the vocal few rather than the satisfied many)

It will be 3 years by end of summer, probably hit 5k miles. They've never been inspected, showing no warning signs yet. Upping my preventative maintenance game.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast