User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't move adjustment on Dexter brakes

New 2022 Reflection, 3k miles decided to check self-adjusting brakes. Nothing has been done to them yet. 3 of the 4 wheels seem to be ok, wheel spins and then a little drag stops it. The 4th wheel (right front) spins freely. So, I'm trying to adjust the brake but I can't get the star wheel to turn. The self-adjusting lever is in front of the star wheel so I come in the other hole with another flat head to move it out of the way but whatever I try I just can't get the adjuster to rotate. Any tips? This link seems to be simple enough but not working for me. https://www.etrailer.com/question-62778.html

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, they might be OK. Idea. Drive around a bit, use the brakes, then go feel the hub and verify it’s a little bit warm. Then you know that they are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I finally was able to get the adjuster to move. It seems the lever has to be in the right position off the adjuster to be able to get the adjuster to move. But now I moved the adjuster several turns up and the wheel is still spinning freely. Seems like something is up. How many times do you have to rotate that adjustment to get them to tighten up?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd check the operation of the brake when power is applied, just assure myself that it is working correctly in that respect. How far you have to adjust it depends on how far out it is. But I would take into consideration the fact that out of 4 wheels, only one is being a pain. I think I'd bite the bullet and pull the hub and visually inspect it. There could be a reason this one is so far out of adjustment compared to the others.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If it were me, I'd check the operation of the brake when power is applied, just assure myself that it is working correctly in that respect. How far you have to adjust it depends on how far out it is. But I would take into consideration the fact that out of 4 wheels, only one is being a pain. I think I'd bite the bullet and pull the hub and visually inspect it. There could be a reason this one is so far out of adjustment compared to the others.
    Thanks. Good points I agree.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if you can't hear/feel the magnet dragging a little something is not right.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you shouldn’t have to move the adjusting lever to tighten the brakes , only to loosen them. When you turn the star wheel the correct direction to tighten the brakes, you should hear a light clicking noise as the wheel rotates past the lever. Once you get a little too much drag when turning the tire and wheel , push the lever away from the adjusting wheel and back off a little. Usually you can also use a screwdriver to move the wheel side to side to see how loose the brakes are.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    So you shouldn’t have to move the adjusting lever to tighten the brakes , only to loosen them. When you turn the star wheel the correct direction to tighten the brakes, you should hear a light clicking noise as the wheel rotates past the lever. Once you get a little too much drag when turning the tire and wheel , push the lever away from the adjusting wheel and back off a little. Usually you can also use a screwdriver to move the wheel side to side to see how loose the brakes are.
    Charlie
    Appreciate that Charlie. Everything I see says the correct direction is pushing the adjusting wheel up. Could tightening possibly be pushing the adjusting wheel down?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed changes to the self-adjusting drum brake assemblies. on the old style there is a lock pawl (as others have said) that allows the adjuster to be turned to expand the brake shoes but prohibits the adjuster to be loosened to retract the brake shoes. As others have said to loosen up or retract the brake shoes you have to use a screw driver to push the lock pawl out of the way, then you can use another screw driver or brake spoon to turn the adjuster backwards to loosen up the brakes. The adjuster star wheel has very sharp teeth angled to allow ease of expanding the shoes but not retracting the shoes.

On newer self-adjusting drum brake assemblies they have eliminated the lock pawl. The adjuster is different in that it now has grooves or indentations but not teeth, and they use a spring stretched across the adjuster groves to keep it from moving out of adjustment. With this style you don't need to push anything out of the way to loosen up (retract the shoes) the adjustment. There are a couple of different configurations even on this new style.

I tried to find pics of both kinds but I have not found a good one yet. Here is a pic from etrailer on one of the newer style without the lock pawl.
    The second pic is yet another variation of the new style adjuster without the lock pawl.

Sometimes you have to turn the adjuster several turns before the brake shoes start to drag on the drums. You may feel or here clicks as you try and use a screwdriver on the adjuster to tighten expand the shoes but its just the screwdriver tip slipping on the adjuster. Then sometimes the adjusting mechanism where is screws together is tight, once you get it break it free it will then turn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails faq400-adjuster-screw_2_500.jpg   IMG_2562.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-16-2022 at 09:41 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoMc View Post
    Appreciate that Charlie. Everything I see says the correct direction is pushing the adjusting wheel up. Could tightening possibly be pushing the adjusting wheel down?
    Possibly. But probably not. Typically as shoe travel increases , the lever will be lifted over the next tooth on the star wheel. When brake is released , the lever pushes down and rotates star wheel to lengthen the adjuster. The two combined have a ratchet effect , that’s why you need to move the lever to loosen adjustment. A couple of possibilities are , the lower spring is in contact with the star , binding it up. Make sure you are not getting the tool too far into the opening. That will cause you to be trying to lift the adjuster instead of rotating the wheel. Insert a adjusting spoon or screwdriver off to the side of the star. Using each end of the slot as a fulcrum move the assembly fore and aft. Should be able to put a lot of drag on the tire, and it’ll give you an idea of how loose the adjustment is.
    Sorry this got a little long , some things are hard to communicate in this medium.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast