Time to go for disk brakes.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    Possibly. But probably not. Typically as shoe travel increases , the lever will be lifted over the next tooth on the star wheel. When brake is released , the lever pushes down and rotates star wheel to lengthen the adjuster. The two combined have a ratchet effect , that’s why you need to move the lever to loosen adjustment. A couple of possibilities are , the lower spring is in contact with the star , binding it up. Make sure you are not getting the tool too far into the opening. That will cause you to be trying to lift the adjuster instead of rotating the wheel. Insert a adjusting spoon or screwdriver off to the side of the star. Using each end of the slot as a fulcrum move the assembly fore and aft. Should be able to put a lot of drag on the tire, and it’ll give you an idea of how loose the adjustment is.
    Sorry this got a little long , some things are hard to communicate in this medium.
    Charlie
    Thank you Charlie, Steve and all. I was going in wrong direction. My lack of mechanical inclination strikes again. You do need to push down on the star wheel to get it to tighten on my brakes (I swear everything I read said push up). 2022 Reflection with Dexter brakes. Also, I found I still needed to move the lever out of the way to push down. Anyway, issue solved ready to head back to NV from FL! Thank you and Happy Easter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Charlie,
    Appreciate your knowledge and experience.

I have a 2021 Reflection 5th wheel with the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes. The manual states to adjust after around a 1k miles. I have turned the star wheel up all the way till it stops and the wheel never stopped turning. There is a shield (metal partially over the spring and star wheel) I lifted it with one screw driver and moved the star wheel relativley easy with another till it wouldnt move. Still did not get the wheel to stop moving What am I doing wrong? Your help is gretly appreciated

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idea: Pull the hub off and look at the brakes. From there you can inspect the starwheel / threaded adjusting rod, and figure out why they are not adjusting.

I also have the never adjust brakes and have never adjusted them. When I spin the wheel I can tell the shoes are barely in contact with the hub, which is good. So I never manually messed with them.

An added benefit of pulling the hub is peace of mind knowing that seals, pads, spindle, bearings, grease, magnets, are all in good shape. Rule of thumb is don’t let the outside bearing drop to the ground. Don’t ask how I know this. Also get a big socket to fit the big castle nut so you can torque it to 50 foot pounds before you back it off and make it finger snug.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Flystar! My thoughts exactly. Peace of mind goes a long way!

By the way, I appreciate the details on how to go about the job. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach him how to fish...

Planning a trip from California to Washington next week and got to get on with it. Dont want any suprises.

Safe Travels and thanks again!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last thing you want is to have a problem on the road. Being safe is always the right way to go.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12