User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have just enough truck to tow but you have ask yourself do I have enough truck to stop this trailer in every condition?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Op replied once. It doesn’t matter what you all say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when they deliver the truck we will see. I special ordered it back in January. I specifically stated what I wanted for towing capabilities. I got all the packages that should push it up there in towing. If it can't pull what I want it to then I will tell them to keep it. I kinda figured that if Grand Design made something that could be pulled by a half ton that it should be able to be towed by a half ton. Just a thought.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And sorry I don't sit at my computer and reply right away. I am trying to research this and make the right decision.

So, what I gather is if two RVs are identical to each other one is a fifth wheel and other is a travel trailer. If I don't have the cargo capacity I should go with the travel trailer just because the fifth wheel's hitch weight and it is like pulling a billboard down the road?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you order a Super Crew with the 6'5" bed?
    Or a Super Cab with the 8' bed?
    Those are the only cab/bed configurations that allow you to get the HDPP.
    If you ordered any F150 with the 5.5" bed in a 145" wb then you won't get the heavy duty payload package.
    The payload package is not offered with the 145" WB.
    Max Tow packages are offered on all configurations I believe.
    More power to you if you get the HDPP as you can tow the smaller 150 Reflections.
    As far as a manufacture stating it's 1/2 ton towable well they're mostly true. But in the real world there's not much truth to it.
    Most all the 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels are in fact towable with certain 1/2 tons but only when the 5th wheel is empty. By the time you load up the 5th wheel you will go over most 1/2 ton trucks payload.
    The problem is that it's real easy to tow a 12,000 lbs TT with an F150 because you only need 1200lbs for tongue weight.
    If you try and tow a 12,000 5th wheel you need between 1800-3000 lbs for pin weight. No 1/2 tons are capable of that.
    So on one hand you have the truck manufacture spewing unrealistic tow ratings and then you have the RV manufactures using that unrealistic info to promote their unrealistic ratings.
    Neither is lying but neither are giving out all the details. The buyer has to dig hard to find the details.
    Thats why so many 1/2 ton truck owners come on RV sites with questions about their setup cause they're having towing issues. Many end up going to a 3/4 ton truck.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Well, when they deliver the truck we will see. I special ordered it back in January. I specifically stated what I wanted for towing capabilities. I got all the packages that should push it up there in towing. If it can't pull what I want it to then I will tell them to keep it. I kinda figured that if Grand Design made something that could be pulled by a half ton that it should be able to be towed by a half ton. Just a thought.
    If you post details of the truck you ordered we can give you and educated guess on the capabilities.

Did they give you a DORA or anything detailing trim and options?

DORA = Dealer Ordered Receipt Agreement.

Here’s an example of a DORA for a 2022 Ford Platinum F-350 truck I have on order since December. It shows exactly what I ordered, all options ordered and prices. I ordered with X-Plan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7AFC91ED-4A13-46D7-8CAF-332D93D9806D.jpg  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And sorry I don't sit at my computer and reply right away. I am trying to research this and make the right decision.

So, what I gather is if two RVs are identical to each other one is a fifth wheel and other is a travel trailer. If I don't have the cargo capacity I should go with the travel trailer just because the fifth wheel's hitch weight and it is like pulling a billboard down the road?
    Both are billboards. Which is why you’ll see a lot of people who don’t want to tow an RV that maxes out a truck. But one puts 12.5% of the total weight of the trailer on the truck (travel trailer), the other puts 20+% (5th wheel). The 150 series can be towed by a half ton, but not any half ton - specific ones. It is, much like your repeated towing/payload numbers, marketing - not necessarily reality.

You should look at your order sheet or talk to the dealer and see what you got - it might not be too late to change. Or, if the truck is already on the way, make sure you look at the number on the yellow sticker (the actual payload). I can pretty much promise if you got a max tow truck, even if you also got HDPP, that the number won’t start with 3xxx. It isn’t possible to have an F150 that can both tow 14k+ and have 3200+ payload. The equipment needed to tow adds weight and therefore reduces available payload.

People are trying to say this nicely because you came in here with what seemed like a great attitude, but now seem frustrated. I get it, it sucks if the truck you have been waiting on isn’t what you thought. But the people here have given ample info and if you take a look at it, it might help
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I am not frustrated at all. The Wife and I were looking at the 321RK or 260RB. Then the camper Dealer said, "Hey, fifth wheel". We really liked them.

Truck is built and on the way. No matter what, I am taking the truck. I am 56 years old and it has been a dream to own a truck like that.

I did attempt to upload the window sticker but it won't go.
    Last edited by docque; 04-16-2022 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM,

Fivers tend to be heavier than travel trailers and certainly have higher pin weight.

TT is 10-15% of total trailer weight while Fiver is 20-25% of total weight, so fiver pin weight will eat more payload than trailer tongue weight. The heavier the fiver more payload per pound is put on the rear axles than a trailer.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Fiver and a TT each have advantages and disadvantages over each other.

As stated you should estimate a fiver will have at least 20% of the gross weight on the pin. Then you have to add the weight of the 5th wheel hitch which easily could add 200 lbs. that will eat up payload quickly. But it will tow and handle much better that a Travel Trailer because the weight is pretty much over the rear axle.

A Travel trailer tongue weight will be at least 10% up to 15% of trailer gross. A F150 trailer hitch is rated for max of 1,400 lbs. A travel Trailer will be affected much more by passing 18 wheelers and wind gusts. This can cause very uncomfortable handling.

My first RV was a new Grand Design 2800BH being towed with a new F150 XLT 302A with Max Trailer tow package and a 3.5L. According to the Ford towing guide the MAX payload was up to 3,250 lbs but my truck had only 1,963 lbs as built. It was downright scary towing. It felt like the trailer was in charge rather than the truck being in charge. We were all over the road when being passed by anything big or on windy days. I tried everything to make it comfortable to tow. I installed air bags on the truck, I changed the weight distribution torsion bars and lastly spent $2,500 on a ProPride hitch. Today that hitch is over $3,500. The ProPride took out 90% of the sway but not all. By them my wife was reluctant to travel with towing the trailer.

After 3 only months I traded in both the new trailer and the new F150 truck and bought a new F350 diesel and a new Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel RV. That combination is a dream to tow on the open road. It’s not as maneuverable backing up into campgrounds as a travel trailer is but I can drive it with 2 fingers on the steering wheel and not worry about getting pushed around.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast