User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Grand Design now need more details

Ok, again the Internet is spotty with things. One spot you read one thing and the next you read the opposite. SO let's get into it.

I special ordered an F-150. Didn't want a F-250 so enough said there. I got all the crazy towing packages. It can tow 14,000 lbs and has a cargo capacity of 3240 lbs. I wanted the best towing I could get with extra to spare.

Original intention was to get a 231rk. Simple enough, truck can handle. Then we saw the 226rk. Layouts are about the same but this is a 5th wheel. Then we looked at the 260RD and this was due to more windows that my Wife loved.

So, on the Internet I went. Can an F-150 tow the 5th wheel? Yes. No. Maybe. You won't like it.

I figure with a trailer at 10k GVWR I have 4k to spare. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, again the Internet is spotty with things. One spot you read one thing and the next you read the opposite. SO let's get into it.

I special ordered an F-150. Didn't want a F-250 so enough said there. I got all the crazy towing packages. It can tow 14,000 lbs and has a cargo capacity of 3240 lbs. I wanted the best towing I could get with extra to spare.

Original intention was to get a 231rk. Simple enough, truck can handle. Then we saw the 226rk. Layouts are about the same but this is a 5th wheel. Then we looked at the 260RD and this was due to more windows that my Wife loved.

So, on the Internet I went. Can an F-150 tow the 5th wheel? Yes. No. Maybe. You won't like it.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes.... Love it! If you have the heavy tow and/or HDP packages some are pulling the Reflection 150 295RL 5er. We are.

On my 2013 SCREW w/6.2 I put a Hellwig anti-sway bar on the rear (disabled electronic sway - dont like it), Airlift dual path bags w/BT-compressor, and Billstein 5100 shocks. Tows easly and level, and has no trouble braking when towing our 295RL. Love SRW costs and convenience, ride, and low gasser fuel and maint costs. Or just trade up to a Freightliner and avoid the controversy.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 04-15-2022 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Whatever.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the truck now? If so all the real life numbers specific to your truck is on the yellow sticker in the driver's door jam. All other number you get from the Ford web site have little stars beside them or little numbers. Unless you got a bar bone F150, I mean XL, 2x4 no option except for with the rare hard to find HDPP and Max Tow you will not have 14,000 lbs towing capacity with cargo capacity of 3240 lbs. Sorry.
    That yellow sticker has the number specific to your truck. Grab those and plugged them on here along with the GVWR of the tt or 5th your looking at.
    https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really it comes down to your truck’s actual cargo capacity. The only way an F150 will actually come anywhere close to 3k in payload is with the Heavy Duty Payload Package.

Does your order have that package? It is separate from max tow and only available on low option trucks in the USA. You would also need the 6.5ft bed on a super crew truck. An XLT with the 3.5TT or 5.0V8, 3.73 locking rear axle, 6.5ft bed, and the mid-equipment group (or lower) is the highest option truck you can get in America with the HDPP. You would have to special order it, they are virtually never on the lot, so you are off to a good start.

The cargo capacity you listed demonstrates the issue here. That’s the *max possible* cargo capacity an F150 can have. By definition getting options adds weight to the truck and therefore reduces that number. Go look at the yellow stickers inside the driver’s door on some trucks (preferably similar to yours) to see real numbers. Cargo capacity is simply truck GVWR - empty truck weight. HDPP trucks have a GVWR of 7850lbs. My truck (and most F150s) has a GVWR of 7000lbs. I have a listed 1807 lbs of payload - before anything I’ve added to the truck (hitch, bed cover, tools). Add 850lbs to that and a similar HDPP truck to mine would have 2657lbs of payload. BUT a HDPP truck has a heavier axle, frame, and longer bed. So I would expect ~2500lbs payload on a similar HDPP truck.

There is a member or two on here with that specific truck pulling a 5th wheel successfully. Otherwise forget it.

Look on page 24 of this guide and pay attention to the red font in the notes:
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
    Of note here: there is no F150 rated to tow a 14k 5th wheel. 13k is as high as it gets. Be careful with max possible numbers - this guide gives real numbers for your specific configuration. Payload will still depend on your exact options though (there are literally thousands of possibilities)

Long response, but I hope it helps. My final comment on reference to ‘max towing capacity’ numbers is to consider how those are determined. An example: Sure, an F150 can tow 13,000lbs of bricks on a 15ft flatbed. It is a different game to control and tow the same weight with a 12x8 frontal area and 12x30 side area. If you’ve towed you already know this - be careful not to underestimate the RV. You havnt bought anything yet so you are in a perfect spot to get it right.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 04-15-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Grand Design now need more details

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Really it comes down to your truck’s actual cargo capacity. The only way an F150 will actually come anywhere close to 3k in payload is with the Heavy Duty Payload Package.

Does your order have that package? It is separate from max tow and only available on low option trucks in the USA. You would also need the 6.5ft bed on a super crew truck. An XLT with the 3.5TT or 5.0V8, 3.73 locking rear axle, 6.5ft bed, and the mid-equipment group (or lower) is the highest option truck you can get in America with the HDPP. You would have to special order it, they are virtually never on the lot, so you are off to a good start.

The cargo capacity you listed demonstrates the issue here. That’s the *max possible* cargo capacity an F150 can have. By definition getting options adds weight to the truck and therefore reduces that number. Go look at the yellow stickers inside the driver’s door on some trucks (preferably similar to yours) to see real numbers. Cargo capacity is simply truck GVWR - empty truck weight. HDPP trucks have a GVWR of 7850lbs. My truck (and most F150s) has a GVWR of 7000lbs. I have a listed 1807 lbs of payload - before anything I’ve added to the truck (hitch, bed cover, tools). Add 850lbs to that and a similar HDPP truck to mine would have 2657lbs of payload. BUT a HDPP truck has a heavier axle, frame, and longer bed. So I would expect ~2500lbs payload on a similar HDPP truck.

There is a member or two on here with that specific truck pulling a 5th wheel successfully. Otherwise forget it.

Look on page 24 of this guide and pay attention to the red font in the notes:
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
    Of note here: there is no F150 rated to tow a 14k 5th wheel. 13k is as high as it gets. Be careful with max possible numbers - this guide gives real numbers for your specific configuration. Payload will still depend on your exact options though (there are literally thousands of possibilities)

Long response, but I hope it helps. My final comment on reference to ‘max towing capacity’ numbers is to consider how those are determined. An example: Sure, an F150 can tow 13,000lbs of bricks on a 15ft flatbed. It is a different game to control and tow the same weight with a 12x8 frontal area and 12x30 side area. If you’ve towed you already know this - be careful not to underestimate the RV. You havnt bought anything yet so you are in a perfect spot to get it right.
    I have the heavy duty payload package with an XL super crew long bed . My payload is 2532 And actual towing capacity is 13,200. The catch is tongue weigh on the hitch is only 1400 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thegreenblade; 04-15-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you in fact did get an F150 with the Max Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package then yes you should be able to tow one of the 150 Reflections. My guess is you should be fine as along as you stay under the RAWR. The payload on your truck won't be anywhere near the 3450 lbs you say it will be. It'll be closer to the 2500-2700 range depending on trim levels. You'll be pushing the payload of the truck with some of the longer 150 Reflections so keep that in mind. I personally wouldn't go any bigger than the 260RD. By the time you add in the 5th hitch, passengers and stuff in the truck and then load up the front parts of the 5er you'll be pushing payload capacity of the F150.

FWIW you could've got an F250 for less money and towed any of the GD 150 line and many of the Reflection 5th wheels. I get the dislike for HD trucks but it is what it is when it comes to 5th wheels.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are going to be very disappointed when you get your truck and see the real payload sticker.

Unless you ordered a low trim, 2 wheel drive, long bed with the very special Heavy Duty payload/suspension you won’t get near your expected payload. The HD payload/suspension package is not the Max Tow package or trailer tech tow package.

My XLT F150, 302A, 2x wheel drive, short bed 3.5L with max tow had a payload of 1,963.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.
    It sounds like, from all the responses, you are going to be joining the "I had to buy more truck" club.

The good news is that you can sell your existing truck for what you paid for it in today's market.

If you still want to try to pull your new 5th wheel with the F150, my suggestion is to look at the Reese GooseBox, or installing a lightweight Anderson hitch. Both hitches eliminate the added weight of a 5th Wheel hitch being added to the truckbed. This is especially true if you have the Factory Puck system on your F150 (I don't know if this is even an option with the F150s).

My suggestion: get the Grand Design you want and then decide if you are going to need to switch out the truck. In the long run, you will be happier with the Camper you want/Love, vs the truck you have an a Camper you had to settle for.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went big on the truck. 14,400 lbs towing and 3240 lbs payload. I went specifically for more towing.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went big on the truck. 14,400 lbs towing and 3240 lbs payload. I went specifically for more towing.
    I think your expectations are too high. What Ford lists on the towing guide is MAXIMUM for a low trim level stripped truck. https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf Going up from an XL to another trim level will reduce payload.

Also 14,000 lb towing and 3,240 is the MAX, not 14,400 lb / 3,240 for any 2022 F-150.

The only way to get that is to order stripped XL, a long bed, 2WD Super Crew or Super Cab, w/3.5L with 3.55 or 3.73 rear gears plus Max trailer Tow pkg (53C) AND Heavy Duty Payload pkg (627)

The Heavy Duty Payload pkg (627) is only available on XLs 100A & 101A, XLTs 300A & 301A
    https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/atta...1324b68c23aeac

An XLT 301A maxed out for towing and payload WITH 53C & 627 options will have a payload around 2,200- 2,500 lbs.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 04-16-2022 at 05:44 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast