User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying used checklist

Hello,

I am getting ready to buy a 2021 381m used from a private party.

Can anyone tell me what things I have to check for?

I will obviously try all the switches and make sure everything works. I assume everything can be ran on battery and/or the generator.... but I'm guessing I can't really thoroughly check the water tanks.

Ive rented a rv before but It will be my first time buying/owning an RV so I don't know all the other things to look for that commonly go bad but aren't immediately obvious.

Much appreciated!
    Last edited by timelinex; 04-16-2022 at 07:27 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Hello,

I am getting ready to buy a 2021 381m used from a private party.

Can anyone tell me what things I have to check for?

I will obviously try all the switches and make sure everything works. I assume everything can be ran on battery and/or the generator.... but I'm guessing I can't really thoroughly check the water tanks.

Ive rented a rv before but It will be my first time buying/owning an RV so I don't know all the other things to look for that commonly go bad but aren't immediately obvious.

Much appreciated!
    Here is the PDI I would recommend using. It'll take you several hours, so make sure you communicate with the seller about it.
    PDI_V20.docx

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little while ago, 1 of our members created a pdi checklist. It's pretty complete and can be used for buying used also.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    A little while ago, 1 of our members created a pdi checklist. It's pretty complete and can be used for buying used also.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Hey! That's my post! [emoji16] Thanks!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply! I don't think I will be able to stomach a few hour inspection! This is a private party transaction. If I was buying from the dealer I would obviously want a thorough pdi where they can fix any small things....private party I suspect there will just be small things I'll find after and have to clean up one way or the other. I want to be able to catch any big and/or expensive things.

I appreciate the document though as it definitely has me thinking in the right direction and what I should check.

It's been so hard figuring out what a fair deal is, because of the changing market and drastic msrp changes. Anyone have any opinions on paying 90k on a 2021 381m. (We pay not sales tax when buying private party in my state)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Thank you for the reply! I don't think I will be able to stomach a few hour inspection! This is a private party transaction. If I was buying from the dealer I would obviously want a thorough pdi where they can fix any small things....private party I suspect there will just be small things I'll find after and have to clean up one way or the other. I want to be able to catch any big and/or expensive things.

I appreciate the document though as it definitely has me thinking in the right direction and what I should check.

It's been so hard figuring out what a fair deal is, because of the changing market and drastic msrp changes. Anyone have any opinions on paying 90k on a 2021 381m. (We pay not sales tax when buying private party in my state)
    Personally, I think it's no different than asking the seller if I can have my mechanic go over a car they were selling so I know where I stand to negotiate with them. Instead of my mechanic, I'll be the one going through it. I would bring a propane tank (with propane) so you can check out the propane systems, just in case they are selling it with empty propane tanks.

Oh, and by no means am I saying to use the entire checklist.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would seriously consider hiring an inspector, it will give you peace of mind. Also, just because it is a 2021, doesnt mean it's problem free, besides , a 3rd party inspection takes the emotional blinders off seeing any problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X 2 on Moonshadow comment, very thorough
    Greg & Twyla Gossler
    2019 GD Solitude 372WB - Gen Y GH 8040 Pin Box
    2022 Ford F 350 Lariat CC - DRW - PowerStroke - 8' Bed 4 x 4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the inconvenience of a multi hour inspection, but measure that against the amount of money you are spending.

If nothing else I'd focus heavily on the roof, sealant, clearance lights, etc. Anything up high, that if leaking, is going to result in the most expensive fixes imaginable. Bring a ladder to check the awning/sidewall connection and sealant. Get up on the roof to make sure there's no tears in the roof membrane, and the sealant is good.

2nd biggest issue seems to be the slide out mechanism. Is the seller getting rid of their rig because the slide has been a problem? I'd run it out and back in at lest a couple of times to make sure there's no odd noises from the motor and gears, and that the slide motion is good.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4