User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Just west of the longitudinal center of Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How much hitch drop?

Trading in a 2019 GD 2150RB for a 2022 GD 2670MK next month. Was towing the old trailer with a 2011 Silverado (I will only use the Silverado to tow the new trailer home once - about 400km (250miles). The TV with only me in the truck and the trailer even if it were fully loaded is within spec for the truck. Have the Fastway E2 Trunnion hitch with 8000# bars. Dealer is going to provide me with 10,000# bars for a fee. So I will be able to get the unit home.

A month later, I take possession of a 2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn crew with 6.4L, 20" tires, no lift kit. I already know I need to get a 2.5" to 2" adapter for the receiver. My current setup on the hitch shank using the Silverado has the shank set up with a rise. I know that the Ram will be higher. My guess is that difference as to how it is set up now with the rise and if I set it up for maximum drop would be between 4 to 6 inches. Would this be sufficient for the increased height of the Ram 2500? Or do I have to look at getting a new shank with bigger drop?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for a fact that BlueOx makes a WD with 2 1/2 inch shank and I suspect that others do also. I went to very large RV dealer in Dallas TX and they didn't know that there such a thing. I don't like using the inserts because it just adds to slop.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Ram should come with the 2.5"-2" insert. Both my 2018 2500 and 2019 3500 did.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'd reply go Jets but it's too late...
    Always next year.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the next question I should consider is:
    Is the coupler height of the 2670MK the same or close to that of the 2150RB? The GVWR of the new unit is 1,700 pounds more than the old one.
    Problem is that the old trailer is 125km north-east of here and the new one 325km west.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The receiver adapter/insert should be in the storage pocket under the driver side rear seat.
    When I went from a 1500 Ram to my 2500, I was able to flip the shank on my Equalizer E4 upside down and re-assemble the hitch at the lowest setting. That put me almost perfectly level once hooked up.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck with your new Ram and TT.

Edit: And I shimmed the adapter so there is no play in it.
    Last edited by jleonard; 04-17-2022 at 07:09 AM.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jay. I don't think my Silverado is quite as high as your 1500 was but I'm starting to think there may be enough adjustment on the drawbar to make this work. Thanks for the shim idea. I probably would have twigged on to it a year or two down the road after the rattling bothered me enough.

Tom