User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't Forget List

Anyone have a top 10 "Don't Forget List" for when setting up, and tearing down? I have never had a 5th wheel before, and I am thinking about making a cheat sheet. I already have a list of 27 items that I learned from just reading your past posts.

I bet some young buck at the dealer is gonna do a walk through and ill record his deal of course. But if y'all could think of maybe your top 10 "I never forget this, when arrive" list, and same for leaving. MY wife would love to make some crafty crap, because she says I forget everything

We are young and dumb and launching down the hill, best way to learn I guess. But would really appreciate your opinions.
    Janitor
    2021 Ram 3500 DRW
    SOLITUDE 390 GK-R
    FULL TIME 11/8/2022

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitch area complete and correct.

Under rig clear, jacks up

Check TPMS tire pressure is good

Water pump off

Refrigerator doors and sliding doors latched

Doors, windows, roof vents, and hatches closed and locked

Tail lights are working properly

The $300 surge protector is not still at the power post (I left one behind once)

Look around for stuff laying around

Manually touch the trailer brake lever as you pull out to verify they are working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 and most important is don't forget DW. Missing this step could be (will) a very expensive mistake. Lol just had too.
    What was just mentioned above pretty much sums it up.
    I think we all have the same list, just maybe not in that same order.
    I usually take care of everything outside and DW inside.
    But before taking off, I'll go inside for 1 last pee stop before hitting the road and I'll double check everything inside while DW does 1 last walk around outside and double checks the pinning.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not get in a hurry or try to rush the arriving or leaving process.
    Take your time, stay calm and do not get upset with your spouse.
    The spouse part is most important.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do most of this first and then, before I put it in drive I get out my phone and go over this item my item to be sure I did not forget anything. (almost pulled out of a CG with my awnings out with one of our motor homes! and made a list from then on. jmo. Mark

RV Procedures
    BEFORE putting slides in.
    1. awnings (awning, main, side, rear)
    2. Cabinets stowed, ck floor, tv area, freezercoffee/stuff stowed
    3. Chair moved/unplugged
    4. Doors secure for travel inside.
    5. Check inside garage - tie downs/other stuff
    6. BE SURE ATV IS TIGHT WINCH
    7. Lights off, water pump off, water heater off
    8. Blinds.
    9. Ceiling vents.
    10. Have driving bag in truck
    11. NOW bring slides in and watch in and out.

After Slides are in:

1. Dump then secure hoses and valves.
    2. Set valve to pump for travel water.
    3. Check fresh water.
    4. Stow water hoses.
    5. Stow power lines/surge protector

Hook up 5th wheel
    1. Tow vehicle mirrors ADJUSTED.
    2. Program GPS
    3. REAR STABILIZERS fully retracked.
    4. Truck approach hitching position. Lower truck TAILGATE for better view of hitch.
    5. Adjust Hitch Height. Adjust fifth wheel KINGPIN using landing gear to proper hitch height of pickup. STOP BEFORE HITCH AND CHECK ok ln
    6. Back truck under kingpin until HITCH ENGAGES and trips kingpin hitch lock.
    7. Verify HITCH LOCKING BAR trip bar is out (Silver colored metal in hitch).
    8. Visually check kingpin LOCK BAR is set (look for metal bar aft of kingpin).
    9. CHECK FOR LANDING GEAR UP 2-3 INCHES THEN Put truck in Drive with foot on brake. Then "BUMP" hitch to be sure it is locked. Trailer should move slightly.
    10. Connect the umbilical cord and breakaway switch cable.
    11. Raise truck TAILGATE.
    12. Remove trailer wheel CHOCKS.
    13. Drive forward gently about one foot. Stop movement with TRAILER brakes. This verifies brakes work.
    14. Driver verify LANDING GEAR and STABILIZERS are fully RETRACTED, and TAILGATE is UP prior to driving!
    15. Turn on tire minder blue tooth and phone app.
    F 350 DRW pulling 395 MS-R (2021)
    B&W 25K hitch
    past: Dutchstar, GD 34 ft. trailer, Montana 295 RL 5th, gas Class A's, and many more such RV's

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone interrupts your process start from the beginning not where you "think " you left off. Easy to miss a step when disturbed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add this:

Ask your "walk through" guy how often he camps or even if he owns a RV.

I have found most, if not nearly all, employees of dealerships do not own an RV or even camp often. So unless they say I camp every weekend or every few weeks, I am skeptical of any input or advice they have. Trust this forum far more, lol.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Anyone have a top 10 "Don't Forget List" for when setting up, and tearing down? I have never had a 5th wheel before, and I am thinking about making a cheat sheet. I already have a list of 27 items that I learned from just reading your past posts.

I bet some young buck at the dealer is gonna do a walk through and ill record his deal of course. But if y'all could think of maybe your top 10 "I never forget this, when arrive" list, and same for leaving. MY wife would love to make some crafty crap, because she says I forget everything

We are young and dumb and launching down the hill, best way to learn I guess. But would really appreciate your opinions.
    There have been a lot of check lists shared on the forum. You have probably searched and found them. We use them, one for inside and one for outside. I totally agree what was said, Don't get in a hurry and rush it, that is when you will make a mistake. Tailgates, how many people have damaged their tailgates? You might say, how in the world can you forget to open the tailgate when hooking up a 5th wheel, it happens! Or pin not locked in the hitch, then you rip out the tailgate and drop the 5th wheel on the ground..
    You get distracted, you forget where you are in the process of doing something. We have all made mistakes, its just part of it.

But don't forget why you are RVing, have fun, take wonderful adventures, enjoy life!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If someone interrupts your process start from the beginning not where you "think " you left off. Easy to miss a step when disturbed.
    ^^^^ Best advice here!
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I will add this:

Ask your "walk through" guy how often he camps or even if he owns a RV.

I have found most, if not nearly all, employees of dealerships do not own an RV or even camp often. So unless they say I camp every weekend or every few weeks, I am skeptical of any input or advice they have. Trust this forum far more, lol.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Very true and make sure the table end is down for models like the 310 or 344. When we first started looking we stopped in at an ex-GD dealership to look at a new 2019 344GK which had the folding table end. The sales guy showing it to us put the table end up and as we were leaving, said go ahead and put the slides in. I stopped once I heard the crunching noise but the kitchen island wasn't pretty after that.

During our walk-through (demo for which they have 'dedicated' staff), the number of questions I asked that got an 'I don't know' answer was significant. Also there is a direct correlation between how much you ask the dealer to add on vs. how much you will learn about the rig when you get it home. The more they do, the more you will have to re-do - at least in our case.

Depending upon what options you have I'd add turn the propane off (residential fridge), dead bolt the door, Inverter on, check goosebox air pressure, visual check of tires, and check the weather forecast for next days travel (I typically have traveled in the past with roof vents cracked open).
    Last edited by ajg617; 04-17-2022 at 09:05 AM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast