User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear axle tire tweek

I'm asking for my brother who messaged me these two photos. When making a turn leaving the campground, his rear axle tire tweeks out. Sometimes it will straighten itself when he straightens out and goes forward, but sometimes not. On one of the 'not' times, he didn't notice and destroyed the tire in the next 300 miles before he noticed it at a fuel stop. He rolled to leading tire on a ramp, which released the torque on the assembly and the tire then popped back into normal position. This has happened several times now and every time he makes a turn into, say a parking lot, fuel station, etc, he checks. He also installed cameras so he could see if it happens when leaving someplace.
    Any ideas what is causing this? He otherwise gets great tire milage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweek1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	40088
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tweek2.jpg  

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s normal for one tire to look bent during and after a turn. Unless some is significantly loose or broken, it really couldn’t stay that way once you straighten out.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 04-16-2022 at 06:59 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it is tweaked I would have a look at the springs where they connect to the frame and the Mor Ride. Are these connections loose allowing the spring to twist? Or is there something amiss with the brackets that mount to the frame? Perhaps a MIS shaped spring eye. Or worn spring eye/wet bolt/bushing. Also look at the U bolts holding the springs on the axle. Are they shifting, loose, or cracked. I would also
    Check to make sure the hub is square with the brake plate to verify that the spindle itself is not shifting in the axle. Also look over the welds and area on the axle where it meets the brake plate behind the hub. I’m not an expert by any means but Just some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also. Is the spring stack all lined up and square and have the piece attached that keeps them lined up and square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something is broken or misaligned. Get it to a trailer repair facility. When turning it's normal to see misaligned wheels due to dragging the axle, but for something to still be out of alignment after a few hundred miles it's not normal.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something not right. Maybe loose U-bolts or something is broken.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE