Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is needed for solar trickle charge of lead acid battery??

Thanks in advance for any help, not lazy, just overwhelmed with searching for the exact answer.....
    I just want to maintain my 12v battery while rv is stored when not in use (not during off season).
    Rv is "solar prepped" but to my understanding it is just the plug in, no controller inverter??
    What do I need/how do I identify what I have need to do this? Cover came off trailer yesterday and the season prepping begins......
    I only want to maintain the 12v battery.
    Charlie and Sandy
    2018 28 BH Reflection
    2022 Ram Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins, pullrite superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I have been using for several years. Handle two batteries. They make one a bit cheaper for just one battery

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery...CABEgJBmvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woops. Missed the solar per. Sorry. Disregard my reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyis123! View Post
    Thanks in advance for any help, not lazy, just overwhelmed with searching for the exact answer.....
    I just want to maintain my 12v battery while rv is stored when not in use (not during off season).
    Rv is "solar prepped" but to my understanding it is just the plug in, no controller inverter??
    What do I need/how do I identify what I have need to do this? Cover came off trailer yesterday and the season prepping begins......
    I only want to maintain the 12v battery.
    My first question would be, "Do you have covered storage?"

Storage lots usually are covered and limit access to the sun.

IF you have good sun visibility, then don't over think it. Head to Harbor Freight and pick up the solar 12v trickle charger and the solar panel with it. Cheap and works well. I've used to maintain batteries on vehicles, tractors, mowers, and even a motion light.

The solar prep are just two wires into the battery (usually via bus bar and fuse). Can tie the HF kit into those wires and you will be good to go, or just clamp on to terminals. Up to you.

Full-time Traveling Family
    '21 Momentum 395MS-R
    '21 F450 King
    2000watts solar
    Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v
    1220ah LiFePo4

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any solar panel under 20 watt doesn't require a charge controller and will do the job just fine. Even 10 watt. I use 10 watt on my rv when it's not in use and also my boat since it's in the water all summer and I don't have power at my dock.
    Got 2 of these at Costco a while ago. Any over 20 watt will require a charge controller. Plus 10 watt is not to big. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	745979653.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	40097

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My storage unit supples a trickle charge plug in but I am not sure how/where to connect it to my 260RD. Ideas are appreciated!
    ArizonaAJ
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 260 RD; 29’ 9” and 13.6’ high
    2021 Ford F-250; 7.3 L Gasser

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw this and I would never recommend Harbor Freight for something that is reliable. I would not be surprised any electrical item you purchased would cause the thing to catch fire. There is a reason why things are really cheap. You do not need to over spend, but under spending is probably worst.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaAJ View Post
    My storage unit supples a trickle charge plug in but I am not sure how/where to connect it to my 260RD. Ideas are appreciated!
    Is the trickle charge at the unit a standard 110v outlet or is it an actual 12v trickle charge receptacle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I just saw this and I would never recommend Harbor Freight for something that is reliable. I would not be surprised any electrical item you purchased would cause the thing to catch fire. There is a reason why things are really cheap. You do not need to over spend, but under spending is probably worst.
    Definitely have to pick and choose the HF stuff. Some things are absolutely garbage (which I've taken advantage of plenty as "one-time use" scenarios), but other products are absolutely fantastic value for the money. Personally, I would pull battery and maintain it outside the coach if I were to leave it unattended regardless of brand. I don't trust unattended setups that others easily have access to like a storage unit.

I at onetime had several trickle chargers and solar chargers around the homestead for years maintaining everything from lights to gate operators, tractors, vehicles, and a few cameras. All various brands and several HF setups and never had a failure with any of the brands.

HF is selling Jackery branded solar components now, too, FWIW, which have become pretty widely accepted as a quality for the money brand.

I've been impressed with the Hercules line of tools thus far. Not sure I'd consider it professional grade ever, but I don't consider 99% of the home improvement store brands to be professional grade either (well, I shouldn't say brands, but the versions of the brand tools sold in home improvement stores).

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ummm.. Why?
    While trickle charging doesn't generate a lot of stress, one still needs to check electrolyte moderately often to make sure levels don't get low. Overcharging is always bad for a battery, even if trickle is at a very low level.
    Just fully charge it, and disconnect a terminal before storing. Then you can forget about it completely. Ontario doesn't get that warm where self discharge might be an issue - you have months to the entire summer before that becomes an issue.
    Far longer in the dead of winter...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storage-web-corrected.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	43190
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HF brand electrical stuff is sketchy at best. Their lifetime 'one time use' tools have their purpose, but anything that has electrons running in or out of it, I would not buy. If I was using their one time use tools [yes, I have] I would have a first aid kit close by. 911 on speed dial too.

Like many other business', if they are just a sublet vendor and they sell stuff cheaper, sounds like a good deal for you and I.
    Last edited by Butcher; 09-25-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast