User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flew hang gliders for 20 years and I get that once you hook in and locked, you give it a tug. I always did but the ultimate load was when I was doing aerobatics. A simple tug test was really just to confirm you were hooked in. I could always see that I was.

If I could not see myself hooked in, I probably would have second thoughts about getting into that sport and probably would not have made it 20 years without any trouble.

My dad was a pilot in the USAF [20 years]. If I was, the tanks would be full all the time. I would not care if it was for 20 mins or 2 hours. You never know if you fly into a worm hole and enter a different dimension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I’ve read/heard a pull test isn’t necessary with the B&W hitch as long as you do a visual on the locking bar position and the jaws around the pin. Well even though we have a B&W, we still do a pull test anyway as who knows, it might uncover some other unknown issue.
    We have B & W and do pull test simply for peace of mind.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a modified pull test with the Goosebox and B&W OEM ball. The ball sits higher than most others and it can be deceiving. That was driven home when we picked the trailer up. The tech installing the Goosebox had me back up and they could not get the ball to seat but they thought it had - I didn't and refused to move the TV. The supervisor came out and said maybe we needed a smaller ball. NO.

Turned out Reese had installed the coupler shaft 180 degrees out and no 2 5/16 ball would have coupled. Once corrected, it still would not seat because the cable stops had not been adjusted properly.

Now, after visually inspecting to see that the ball is fully in the coupler, I'll lower the front jacks with the coupler locked to insure it is fully coupled all per Reese instructions. I have already gotten one surprise trying to re-position the trailer when tired. Couple of lessons there.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I agree - it is to confirm that the king pin is latched in the hitch. However, the landing gear in our RVs is not nearly as robust as that on a semi-trailer. A safer approached (in terms of protecting expensive hydraulic rams) is to hitch up and connect the brakes. Raise the rear landing gear all the way and situate the front landing gear an inch or two off the ground. Manually engage the trailer brakes (with the brake controller in the truck cab) and do a very gentle pull forward. Doing it this way there are no lateral forces on the landing gear and the gear is there to catch the trailer should the pin not be securely locked.

Rob
    I totally agree that the landing gear on a semi trailer is a lot different than what we have on our fifth wheels, but we don't have too many 70,000 lb rvs out there. lol They are probably on the horizon though. I started my post off with the fact that I have been driving a semi since 1984 and maybe I am getting too old to learn new tricks. The learning curve seems to be getting steeper the older I get. We all seem to have little quirks that we do just because that is what makes us so unique. I did do a quick check to see what my Grand Design owners manual had to say on the subject. They actually say to shift the truck into drive and let if bump the hitch to make sure it is locked. That is what I do for a gentle pull test. The manual then states to retract the landing gear and then hook up the wiring. I guess I have found a method that works well for me according to all the years of training and driving. I also see nothing wrong with doing it the way that you described as it sounds totally safe and gets the job done. Thanks again for your comments, and your service to our country, and your being a valuable member of this forum.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123