User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 F150 3.5V6 Eco towing an Imagine 3100RD getting 9-11 mpg in the Appalachians. Not towing on the highway can squeak 22-24 mpg. In town 17 mpg.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right…..I tow in both flat areas and mountains, I’ve gotten as high as 12 but as low as 6…..but 6 was when towing into headwinds at 30moh doing 55 make the truck feel like your trying to do 85….after about 40k miles towing you’ll find good days and Somme bad days….Just finished a 5k trip…one part I got 11mpg but on the way home last day I barely got 6 mpg, there was some really strong headwinds…..Just keep changing the oil often, the max I’ll do is 5k, less when I tow on long trips

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can offer some data. I have a '21 Powerboost and a 2500RL. I like to lock in cruise at 60mph where I feel comfortable towing with this setup. I am getting lifetime ~10.5mpg with this trailer. Our wind profiles should be very similar since all the imagine caps are the same. I realize with a lighter and shorter trailer you may be more comfortable towing faster, which makes all the difference in drag. But I also LOVE a challenge and I pull out every trick I can in my arsenal to maximize mpg.

Here are my bag of tricks:
    * I use Normal mode and manual upper gear lockouts rather than Tow mode. This helps a TON around towns and will allow electric idling and sometimes electric-only coasting.
    * I use the adaptive cruise extensively and let the truck optimally apply gas and brake/charging because it is much better at feathering the accel/brakes
    * In the instrument cluster, I have the turbo boost gauge as a configurable gauge. This is critical to maximizing MPG so you know exactly when the truck is slurping gas (if the boost engages even a tiny bit)
    * Tow mode will generally lock out gears 9/10 on the freeway, which I do anyway. The rest of the time cruising is optimal management of when to allow or lock out 8th. If you see boost even SLIGHTLY engage while in 8th, lock it out and use 7th. The RPMs will go up but the instantaneous fuel economy is BETTER. If you can sit in 8th and the boost does NOT engage, then 8th instantaneous fuel economy will be better. I like to put the MyView on Fuel Economy bar to watch it, and I make a fun game out of it
    * In rolling hill areas, it becomes even more fun! On minor downgrades I allow 9th and 10th and watch the instant MPG jump way up compared to 8th as the RPMs go down. Sometimes it will even kick into electric-only. As you flatten or near the minor uphill grades, start walking back the lockouts back to 8th or 7th, just trying to keep out of boost zone. You can do this with every hill, or even over and underpasses just to see that Fuel Economy bar jump up, even if its just for several seconds it is very satisfying!

One may wonder: Is it safe to use Normal on large/long grades going up or down? In my experience, YES. I have not noticed a difference in gearing strategy going up grades using Normal or Tow modes. And on downgrades, you may think Tow mode is required to use engine braking strategy but that is not the case. Normal will ALSO use engine braking. The Powerboost is pretty amazing at downgrades if you put on the EV coach and watch how it uses the Regen braking zone, before entering the friction zone it will engine brake. This will both charge the battery faster AND avoid losing the potential energy stored to friction. Word of caution: Just because the truck brakes are in the regen zone and not friction, it will still have gain on the trailer brakes applying a small amount of friction. I don't want anyone thinking their trailer brakes will be safe from overheating so you still have to manage that!

Anyway, all this likely goes out the window if you want speeds >60mph as you will probably be in boost in 8th gear the whole time. But the above have been my experience and strategies I can offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an F-150XLT 3.5L V6 pulling the Grand Design 23BHE and I get about 21-23 MPH without trailer and ~9 MPH while towing trailer. ****UPDATE / Correction.. Was thinking about my 03 Cadillac Deville. My F150 gets about 18 MPG when I'm not towing ****
    Last edited by Maxpowers; 05-02-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 Ecoboost and get 10 to 13mpg when towing. I get 13 when towing on flat terrain and 10 to 12mpg in the hills. You do much better than I do around town. I get 17 to 18mpg combined city and highway.
    Your trailer is a little heavier than mine but not much. Could be a weight issue. Have you weighed your rig when fully loaded for a trip? Or it could be a speed issue. California speed limit when towing is 55MPH which I stick to. Out of state I go up to 60MPH when legal. Plus I use cruise control whenever I can. It does a better job than I can do at maintaining a steady speed with minimal throttle inputs.
    Last edited by GaryS1964; 05-02-2022 at 06:14 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ncept View Post
    Sounds about right.

I get a solid 6mpg with my set up.
    Wow! I've never seen anyone pulling a Momentum with a F150 EcoBoost or any F150 for that matter.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 w/ 3.5 TT Ecoboost and was averaging about 20 MPG all around but once I started pulling the camper it dropped considerably to 7-9 range. Been pulling in tow/haul which may burn more but better on the braking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another powerboost owner here. 2021 PB pulling a 2021 2250rk at 6500 lbs. Running 65mph in tow mode locking out 8th when in boost, I average about 8-9mpg.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that have a PowerBoost, could you share your Payload and trim? I might be replacing mine. Looking to stay in the Lariat trim and wishing for 1,800 lbs payload.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    For those that have a PowerBoost, could you share your Payload and trim? I might be replacing mine. Looking to stay in the Lariat trim and wishing for 1,800 lbs payload.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Doubtful. I have an XLT with 1523 before modifications.

These threads may help your research:

https://tinyurl.com/payloadstickers

Here are more fine details on my setup:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...b-and-tt.7811/
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12