User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring Plumbing mods & repairs

Finally completed the spring plumbing mods & repairs today on our 2022 351M-R:
    · Removed all vinyl hose from the system except for the one line that runs to the ice maker. Was getting continual drips where the vinyl hose connects to the PEX fittings. This included the supply lines to the shower & washer/dryer, lines to/from the water heater, one of the air-gap lines behind the shower (to black tank flush), side hose connection and a couple of short pieces behind the Nautilus.
    · Pretty much replaced all the plumbing/PEX behind the Nautilus except for one connection so nearly all joints are now a brass fitting with actual PEX tubing.
    · Added shut-off valves to all fixture supply lines so they can be shut off if a leak, etc.
    · Replaced the shower drain as it started dripping into the basement (I found that GD installed the drain without the washer on the backside which provides the backside seal between the nut and fiberglass).
    · Added a small shut-off valve for the hand-held shower.
    · Replaced the faucet to the main bath to make it more usable. It does hang over just a tad on the back corners due to the shape of the sink... but is so much better of a faucet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D6QDSZC...
    · Added slow-close toilet seats to both toilets (A/S Fluent RD is an excellent fit for the shape of the Thetford Aquamagic II; hard to find, but currently on clearance at Menards for $9.99ea)
    Could I have warrantied the drips and shower drain? – sure. But these are relatively easy fixes, I wanted them done right and didn’t want the same reinforced vinyl hose junk put back in (not a matter of If these transitions will leak, but when – especially when cold weather camping). Do I fault GD? Not installing the washer so that the proper seal is made against the fiberglass is absolutely a mistake. Mistakes happen and if that is the biggest mistake then I am good. As far as using the reinforced vinyl tubing being with PEX fittings/crimp rings (which are NOT designed to go together) - that is more of an industry issue. While it doesn’t make it right… they all do it and I wish GD would realize PEX fittings & crimp rings are not made for the ID/OD/thermal properties of reinforced vinyl tube and stop using it in their assembly process (I can’t count how many people post leaks at these vinyl/PEX transition points). I left the ice maker line as it does need to be flexible and can easily fix it when needed.
    Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 04-17-2022 at 01:53 PM.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you made some very wise repairs. My trailer is almost 3 years old and for some reason has never developed a leak at the reinforced vinyl/PEX junctions. I expect a leak any day and carry PEX tubing and tools, and also use water leak detectors. I probably should do exactly what you did.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Sounds like you made some very wise repairs. My trailer is almost 3 years old and for some reason has never developed a leak at the reinforced vinyl/PEX junctions. I expect a leak any day and carry PEX tubing and tools, and also use water leak detectors. I probably should do exactly what you did.
    I lucked out with our first unit (Reflection) - not a single leak in the 4yrs we had it. Leak detectors was one of the first things I put in when we took delivery of the Momentum last year. First detector went off in an early, cold November trip, second over our cold Thanksgiving trip and last was our early spring trip where it was also cold. All were different lines, but all were the Vinyl lines and fixed each as needed. Always ran the furnace to put heat in the belly during those trips as well.
    All in all, happy with how it turned out - not difficult, just time consuming and like that I know have shut-off valves at all fixtures.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax