Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbies to the RV world

Couple of very basic questions concerning our Momentum 395ms. Unfortunately when we bought it from Lazydays we didnt have the F450 yet so they delivered, we didnt really get to ask what we should of, we were stuck on wows and should have had all the basic stuff taught to us. And again ahead of time thank you for your time and responses. My wife is embarrassed to ask, I am not😆 I mean it's a house on wheels I just want to do it right.
    1. When de-winterizing the rig I understand all steps up until the question, "what do you do with the fresh water mixed with antifreeze after you've de-winterized?" And how exactly do you drain everything other than the Grey and black tanks? Plenty of you tube videos but they all are quick and end before that. I'm guessing it's that easy. Any helps on steps greatly appreciated.
    2. Last but not least...when you connect to city water...is that continually left on? Or do you fill to a certain level? I'm guessing stays on, provides pressure, and what about the pump when exactly would that be used?
    Thanks again maybe I'm stressing out about the minor stuff, but we have our first trip coming up in about two and a half weeks. And I've tried my best on you tube and Google, but I want more from someone who does it.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I drain the water/antifreeze mix, I just drain it into the street. It's not poisonous, so not a big deal IMO. But could be saved and disposed of somewhere if so desired.

There really isn't anything to drain other than the grey and black tanks. When you flush out the lines, as part of de-winterizing, it will all go to the grey and black tanks. Then drain those when you do the normal drain while camping. There won't be more than a couple gallons. We do our line flushing on the first trip out.

You can leave the water hooked up the whole time you're parked somewhere, but some people turn off the water whenever they're gone from the trailer for a while, just in case something lets go. Your choice.
    The pump will be used when you are using the fresh water tank and not city water. Which, if you're going to use the fresh water tank, you need to sanitize it first. Again, some people fill the fresh water tank and use the onboard pump all the time, even when they have access to city water. Again, your choice.

It's a good idea to have a few gallons of fresh water while traveling so you can flush the toilet if necessary, or have some other need for water.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Hoopy Frood Said!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    When I drain the water/antifreeze mix, I just drain it into the street. It's not poisonous, so not a big deal IMO. But could be saved and disposed of somewhere if so desired.

There really isn't anything to drain other than the grey and black tanks. When you flush out the lines, as part of de-winterizing, it will all go to the grey and black tanks. Then drain those when you do the normal drain while camping. There won't be more than a couple gallons. We do our line flushing on the first trip out.

You can leave the water hooked up the whole time you're parked somewhere, but some people turn off the water whenever they're gone from the trailer for a while, just in case something lets go. Your choice.
    The pump will be used when you are using the fresh water tank and not city water. Which, if you're going to use the fresh water tank, you need to sanitize it first. Again, some people fill the fresh water tank and use the onboard pump all the time, even when they have access to city water. Again, your choice.

It's a good idea to have a few gallons of fresh water while traveling so you can flush the toilet if necessary, or have some other need for water.
    I will add one thing to Hoppy Frood's comment, apart from the fact that he is spot on. Get a water pressure regulator for an RV or an adjustable water pressure regulator and gauge for the City water input.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The anti-freeze is non-toxic, so like has been said, it can be dumped anywhere you want.

If you can not do it prior, when you get to the campground, ask your neighbors to help you set up, and explain things. Almost everyone will be more than happy to help you. At most, it may cost you a beer. We all have BTDT, and happy to help.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add, if you put water in your fresh water holding tank, there is a separate drain pull valve for it. Where the fresh water drain valve is, depends on the unit and floorplan but for the 5ers its usually on the left side at the rear of the coach aft of the rear tire. Usually has a white pull handle.
    We usually carry at least 1/3 full fresh water for traveling and just in case a campground turns the city water off for some reason. Study and read the manual for the Nautilus panel and yes by all means use a fresh water pressure regulator, city water supply can have very high water pressure. If we leave the rig for a short time or errand we don't shut off the water. If we are gone all day, we will shut off the water.

Don't worry about the antifreeze, it is specific to RVs and is non-toxic, let it drain into the tanks and dump tanks as usual. Winterizing, draining the water heater is different depending on what water heater you have. To drain you would remove water pressure, open low point drains, the anode rod and stand back. If electric/propane don't allow RV antifreeze into the water heater, that is the red valve on the nautilus panel.
    If on demand water heater you really don't want RV antifreeze in it either but you may have to or make sure its fully drained. You want to be cautious using the on-demand water heater type if you camp in winter cold places for prolong periods. The water heater can freeze.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoosenMaverick View Post
    We have our first trip coming up in about two and a half weeks. And I've tried my best on youtube and Google, but I want more from someone who does it.
    Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice already, not much more I'd add. Most of all just have a good time. Will you make some mistakes? Probably. In my case, that's how I learned. Hope you have a great time on your upcoming trip.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    The anti-freeze is non-toxic, so like has been said, it can be dumped anywhere you want.

If you can not do it prior, when you get to the campground, ask your neighbors to help you set up, and explain things. Almost everyone will be more than happy to help you. At most, it may cost you a beer. We all have BTDT, and happy to help.
    BTDT=been there done that, just in case.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ