User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call ProPride and get their advice/suggestions.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    When I was setting up my ProPride, I made an extra trip to Home Depot to get more washers to fit on the tilt pin at the recommendation of Sean W. Even with that, I run my 1400 lb bars pretty much cranked to the max (I crank them until they stop then back off one turn). My front ride height is pretty close to identical loaded and unloaded. Another thing to check is for tilt in your receiver. Can you lift up on the end of the stinger and get 1/2" of motion or so? If so, you can shim that so it tilts less. I have some large flat washers I use for this on mine to largely eliminate that action.
    I double-checked this today. My stinger is at its max downward angle. I have 3 washers on it, which is the max tilt based on where it is on the drop hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    You can put more water in the fresh tank, if you have the weight room for it. I'll do that if I know I'm going to tow in a stiff wind...with a 13'4" tall billboard it does help.
    I would think it would help you with wind, but don't know about truck suck.
    But what do I know, I've only towed 5th wheels or semi-trailers, not TTs.
    This is an interesting point. I've been thinking about looking for a shorter and lighter trailer. I imagine the length would help with the wind, but I wonder if the lighter weight would mean the trailer gets pushed around more. I have about 200lb capacity left before I'm at my GVWR, so I could add some water to the tank of my current trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Call ProPride and get their advice/suggestions.
    I've talked to them. They said as long as the TV and TT are moving as one unit (as in the TT isn't pivoting on its own) the hitch is doing its job, but it can't overcome physics. That's why I'm considering stepping down in TT size. I just don't know if trimming 4' and 750lb off would make a significant difference with my current TV.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I've talked to them. They said as long as the TV and TT are moving as one unit (as in the TT isn't pivoting on its own) the hitch is doing its job, but it can't overcome physics. That's why I'm considering stepping down in TT size. I just don't know if trimming 4' and 750lb off would make a significant difference with my current TV.
    Good more - checking with them.

I'm no expert but I would think loosing 4 feet would have some reduction in movement. I've always thought towing long trailers needed a stout tow vehicle.

But the wifey a big, full size luxury van.... heehee.... You'll probably have a longer wheelbase and certainly room for a van full of kids and stuff.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hooked up the TT today and tried some of the advice from this thread. I aired my tires up to 65psi and cranked the WD bars tighter until the front ride height matched the unloaded height. Winds were ~7mph with gusts around 10mph. I still felt the wind and semis, and occasionally a small car too. That surprised me.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I hooked up the TT today and tried some of the advice from this thread. I aired my tires up to 65psi and cranked the WD bars tighter until the front ride height matched the unloaded height. Winds were ~7mph with gusts around 10mph. I still felt the wind and semis, and occasionally a small car too. That surprised me.
    IMO wind gusts are wind gust. We all feel them even when we're not towing. A tt is like a wind sail regardless of the size or wdh. Regardless of what tt or tv combo you have, you'll still feel a 35mph cross wind or gust. I think the max we can tow in is 40 or 45mph. We try to avoid towing in winds over 35mph, if we have to then we slow down or stay off the highways.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    IMO wind gusts are wind gust. We all feel them even when we're not towing. A tt is like a wind sail regardless of the size or wdh. Regardless of what tt or tv combo you have, you'll still feel a 35mph cross wind or gust. I think the max we can tow in is 40 or 45mph. We try to avoid towing in winds over 35mph, if we have to then we slow down or stay off the highways.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    I should clarify. I fully expect to feel wind, and I do feel it even when I'm not towing. But when towing, even in calm wind, I get "bumped" around and have to use steering to stay centered in the lane. I hooked my trailer up to a friend's RAM 2500 on a windy day and it pulled straight effortlessly. I knew the wind was there, but I wasn't having to fight it constantly. I wish Ford would come out with a new Excursion or Chevy a Suburban HD. Until then, I'll probably end up deciding between a bigger TV or smaller TT.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need the third row, like me, purchase a 2013 Chevy Suburban 2500. I tow a 2800bh in high winds, with propride and have no problems at all. This is an extremely safe and stable set up for my family of five and two dogs. Mine has a 2450lb payload, 4x2. They come with all the bells and whistles too!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't checked payload figures yet, but the new Grand Wagoneer looks to be a tank. Might be worth a look.

Edit: Payload max is 1450 for the longer wheelbase model. That stinks.
    Last edited by uwskier; 04-27-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Wagoner payload is in the 1400 lb range, last I saw.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfitzhistory View Post
    Grand Wagoner payload is in the 1400 lb range, last I saw.
    yeah, and less wheelbase than the OP has. Bummer.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast