Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

265BH Measured Tongue Weight

So I bit the bullet and bought the tongue weight scale off of Etrailer....unloaded with full propane and battery it’s 700lbs almost on the dot which surprised me. Just thought id put it out there as I remember a thread saying it would be 1200 lbs once loaded. We travel light, most I saw on our other camper was an extra 200....seeing as most storage on this model is center axle or behind I don’t see that changing by more than 150lbs. A relief since I am towing with a F150 5.0 with a payload of 1864....yes I know, please spare the trucks to small comments. I’m looking for a F250 7.3 but no one has any available here, so for now I have to work with what I got.

I should have added a question to this, have any of you been surprised by your tongue weight being less than expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SubmarinersDoItDeeper; 04-21-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With propane and battery, that puts you right in the published spec range (which doesn't include those items). Using published empty weight, plus those items would put you at about 6550. That means 10.5% tongue weight, which is too little and may be putting you into dangerous sway territory. But don't panic yet. Load it as you would for camping, and get to a truck scale. Your goal for tongue weight is to be about 12% of total weight, or higher. So let's assume you actually weigh 7000 lbs. when packed, that would mean a TW of 840 is the goal.

My 2670MK unfortunately was at the 10.5% after being loaded for camping, and I had sway. Even adding full water only got it to 11%. Pretty scary to have it happen and the truck anti-sway alarms/corrections kick in.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

265BH Measured Tongue Weight

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    With propane and battery, that puts you right in the published spec range (which doesn't include those items). Using published empty weight, plus those items would put you at about 6550. That means 10.5% tongue weight, which is too little and may be putting you into dangerous sway territory. But don't panic yet. Load it as you would for camping, and get to a truck scale. Your goal for tongue weight is to be about 12% of total weight, or higher. So let's assume you actually weigh 7000 lbs. when packed, that would mean a TW of 840 is the goal.

My 2670MK unfortunately was at the 10.5% after being loaded for camping, and I had sway. Even adding full water only got it to 11%. Pretty scary to have it happen and the truck anti-sway alarms/corrections kick in.
    I appreciate it. I understand all that, I was simply putting it out there as on a previous post people were saying how wrong the published tongue weight is and I should expect to see 800-850 unloaded. I honestly think every dealer should have one of the tongue weight scales though. Especially since there is such a variance in published vs actual between different manufacturers. I know I’m towing with a shortbed F150 so I might see a little more sway at times then my last TT that was 4 ft shorter. But it did seem unnaturally light on the backend when bringing it home awhile back. Now I know why.

Last edited by SubmarinersDoItDeeper; 04-22-2022 at 03:13 AM.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 395 only had a pin weight of around 2850 lbs when I first bought it unloaded. Surprised me because I had the GenSet in front which should have added at least a few hundred. I have not yet had a chance to weigh since I installed the 400 lbs of batteries, inverters, etc. So I'm curious to see what that really added to my pin weight.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarinersDoItDeeper View Post
    So I bit the bullet and bought the tongue weight scale off of Etrailer....unloaded with full propane and battery it’s 700lbs almost on the dot which surprised me. Just thought id put it out there as I remember a thread saying it would be 1200 lbs once loaded. We travel light, most I saw on our other camper was an extra 200....seeing as most storage on this model is center axle or behind I don’t see that changing by more than 150lbs. A relief since I am towing with a F150 5.0 with a payload of 1864....yes I know, please spare the trucks to small comments. I’m looking for a F250 7.3 but no one has any available here, so for now I have to work with what I got.

I should have added a question to this, have any of you been surprised by your tongue weight being less than expected?

Thank you for that info. I was curious about the tongue. Having just bought a 265bh i tow with a Ford Expedition max with hd tow package. Looks like I’m in spec. Thank you