User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Track Question

Does anyone know exactly how the awning track is mounted to the trailer? I am referring to the track that is above the awning that the piped fabric is slid into. My reason for asking is that I noticed my track is starting to pull away from the exterior wall. I tightened the screws once this past summer and they appear to be loose again. Is there a aluminum frame tube that runs across the trailer wall or are they attached to vertical frame posts? I apparently need to put more screws in and want to make sure I'm going to hit something other than fiberglass and nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 337RLS Awning.JPG  
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was an issue back in 2015 - 2017. At that time, the tracks were screwed into the side of the trailer and Grand Design would send the owner button-head rivets to reattach (which I had to do). I don't know if the attachment method has changed since then or not. Perhaps @huntr70 knows something.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attachment screws generally hit some studding as they go. There really isn't a dedicated tube that runs horizontally to attach to.

It may have laminated in expanded steel, much like the TV mounts in bedrooms.

Use Olympic rivets and it won't come off.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The attachment screws generally hit some studding as they go. There really isn't a dedicated tube that runs horizontally to attach to.

It may have laminated in expanded steel, much like the TV mounts in bedrooms.

Use Olympic rivets and it won't come off.
    Thanks Steve and Rob. I will give the Olympic rivets a shot. They appear to be the cure!!
    2020 337RLS
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost mind blowing this is still happening. We have a 2014 and had GD re attach our awning at one of the rallies back in I think 2015 or 16. The rivets mentioned above (also known as Molly Rivets ) is what GD used when they repaired our . The rivets work, here we are today and the awning is still attached .
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 Solitude S Class had the same problem on the front awning right after we started using it. I spoke to GD and they wanted a dealership to install the rivets, they did and it's held ever since.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the info. Ordered some and will be repairing soon!! Happy Camping!!
    2020 337RLS
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repair steps

I just completed the fix to my front Awning track. I have a 2002 295RL and the track is still attached will simple metal screws which come loose quite easily. However, I must make a point that I contacted GD last week & they were quick to respond & sent me the Molly rivets to make the repair asap. I'm in Florida at the moment but heading back north next Friday, so I was very happy with the quick response. This was a key reason why I selected a GD product: I had heard of the great service and quality. Now, not everything is perfect but it's how you respond to problems that makes a difference! An old Marketing executive once told me that

For anyone trying to do this repair & not familiar with the process:
    1. Remove the existing screw
    2. Expand the hole with a slightly larger drill bit (3/16" X 1" Molly rivets were sent to me)
    3. Insert the Molly rivet in the hole
    4. Use the Rivet tool (required) to install the Molly rivet - squeeze the trigger until the pin snaps
    5. start from the middle & work your way to the end

Thanks Grand Design!
    Last edited by RC621-GD; 03-24-2023 at 11:00 AM.