User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunkhouse shake!

We’ve had our 28BH for 2 full seasons now, and our 21 y.o. sleeps on the bottom bunk. They love to come camping with us still(!): outdoors, hiking, good eating, etc. A huge complaint though is bedtime comfort. The shaking of the trailer drives them nuts. It interrupts sleep, is annoying, and it’s at the point where they are going to limit the time they camp with us.
    What can we use to stabilize the rear of the trailer to keep the kid with us for a few more seasons? To be honest, I can feel it at the front a bit too, but tolerable.
    2019 F250 6.2L 4.30 4x4 CCSB Lariat
    2019 FW Reflection 28BH
    Hensley Trailersaver BD3F
    2011 Ford Flex Ltd
    2011 Rockwood Premier 2516G

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 28BH as well and I use a stabilizing tripod under the kingpin of my camper. Seems to help me. My assumption here is that you level the camper to ensure it's that's not causing your issue. I also like to maintain wheel contact with the ground and not have the leveling system lift the unit off the ground. I will also place wheel chaulks between the tires to prevent movement. Just a few suggestions that I hope helps you enjoy your family camping experiences.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would get some jack stands to put at the outside corners at the rear. The rear end really hangs out there relatively unsupported. Putting supports up tight against the corners could stop a lot of the moving around. Now, I've not tried it, but have considered it with our 351M. The rear moves around a fair amount, especially when the rear patio is deployed.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our OEM 295RL 5er came with 2 rear stabilizer jacks,one on each side of the rear of the trailer. That takes care of some shake, but we added the JT strong arm kit front and rear and it really got rid of all but maybe 5% of the total shake.

Wife whos a light sleeper really likes how it doesnt shake now.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I saw a Valterra stabilizer for the rear that might work for us. Has anyone used this? Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizer https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001UGJPXQ/...2TBQD9DR9QWWGE Are there other types that might work better? We already use x-chocks and try to keep the wheels grounded as much as possible. Will using x stabilizers on the front also help?
    We are weekend warriors, and are out about every other weekend may to oct, and it would be best it it wasn’t too much work every time we set up.
    Last edited by CampKeri; 04-22-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used them and found them to be very helpful. They will not get rid of all of the movement, but make it much better.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use two of the Valterra stabilizers. One under the receiver hitch bracket at the rear of the trailer parallel with the axles. A second one under the frame just in front of the spring hanger on the curb side, perpendicular to the axles. Plus two x chocks. This greatly reduces the wobbles. Not quite totally but significantly. Maybe 80%. It’s enough that the complaints stop.

I have thought about two more Valterra units, one in front under the A frame parallel with axles and one perpendicular to the axles under the frame just in front of spring hanger on the other side. That would likely improve things even more.

However. They are a bit of a pain to use. Requires getting on the ground under the rig. Plus, they work best with wooden blocks under their feet. And they work best when you tighten them up a bit on day two after they settle.

So. For me, I don’t bother with them for a one or two night stay. Longer than that, I go to the trouble because they really work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax