User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 260RD 12Volt LiFePO4/Solar/Inverter Install

Inspired by @df_2112 (see here), I thought I would post my progress on my build so far. First off, I'd like to thank the many folks on this forum who have inspired me (and at times slightly intimidated me) and provided me with great examples of what can be done. On my last TT, I had a fairly simple solar set up with a couple of 100-watt panels, an MPPT charge controller, and a couple of 100 Ah AGM batteries. This worked great, on most sunny days my batteries would be fully charged by 2 PM. I even had a 50-watt panel on a leash that I could move around when I was in the woods.

However, my new 260RD came with a 12-volt refrigerator and I knew I was going to need more to keep that running. Not having much real-world experience with that refrigerator, I assumed a worst-case scenario: the unit would draw 4 amps per hour continuously over the day. So with that in mind, I was looking for 96 Ah per day for the refrigerator plus another 25 Ah for other electric uses within the coach, let's call it a daily energy budget of 120 Ah. My plan called for enough battery capacity to carry us at an off-grid location for at least 5 days with no additional power from solar or generator (we will have both but I'm conservative). So I needed a minimum of 600 Ah (5 days x 120 Ah per day). Based on what I read on this forum, I decided to "go big or go home" and purchased 4 200 Ah LiFePo4 batteries for a total of 800 Ah. And since the Lossigy batteries that I purchased don't have low temp cutoff or internal heating, I knew I was going to need a suitable container where I could store the batteries with insulation and heaters.

Despite a fair amount of research, I was unable to find any boxes that would accommodate my battery bank so I knew I was going to have to build something myself. That was a bit scary since I have very limited skills in the carpentry area. I'm fine with mechanical and electrical items, but wood and I have never done well together.

Fortunately, I had some old plywood and OSB lying around so if the box turned out too ugly I wouldn't be out much. But....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220423_181554108.MP.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	40178

The box has turned out much better than I expected, not a thing of beauty, but functional.

Name:	PXL_20220423_184349154.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	40179

It even holds the batteries!

Name:	PXL_20220423_190242275.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	40180

And fits in the forward compartment (once I remove the stock battery the battery bank will move over more to the driver's side).

The next step is to fit the box with the bus bars for the battery cables, wrap the batteries with insulation, and install the battery heaters.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, keep the pictures coming as your project progresses. 800ah, real nice.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am following this...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny. You're afraid of wood and most people of scared of electricity.

Go big or go home indeed. Sounds like you thought about your needs, looked at what options there are, and made a decision that works for you. A+

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly got the battery heaters done.

Name:	PXL_20220425_210531673.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	40245

For the temperature controller I'm using the XH-W3001 Digital LED Temperature Controller Module. The temperature probe will be taped to one of the batteries on the inside. I went with two sets just in case one failed, I would still have some heat. Sheet metal lines the base to help with thermal transfer.

For the heaters: these heat pads.

Planning to wrap the batteries in this insulation. The box will be covered once the installation is complete.

Once I get the main bus bars for the battery connection in, I'm still waiting on some of the 4/0 battery cables to check the positioning, I'll connect up the mini-busbars to the power (inline fuse already in place). I have a small on/off switch for the summer when heating won't be required.
    Last edited by Soundsailor; 04-25-2022 at 03:28 PM.
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phase II

Phase II is complete.

Name:	PXL_20220510_170657075.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	40541

Charge controller mounted to board along with ATS, shunt, inverter, bus bars, and switches. The main switch also has the main fuse attached via a block connector. On the board but not yet wired is the DC to DC charger. I decided not to tackle a reorganization of the GD stuff yet, simply ran the two positive cables from the stock battery to a switch on the board, and the negative cable from the stock battery to the negative bus bar.

Name:	PXL_20220510_204448344.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	40543

Here it is with the battery system in place. Wired the 4 batteries in a star configuration (maximizes power distribution) with single cables wired to the main switch and the shunt.

Note the compartment light on (proof of operation). Oh, and the 12-volt refrigerator is running fine!
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phase III complete

Phase III is now complete with the wiring of the ATS.

Name:	PXL_20220512_191952144.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	40600

Compared with other parts of the process, this one was a breeze. Cut the orange ROMEX as advised by GD, and used 10 gauge WAGO connectors (again as per GD instructions). Taped it up pretty well since I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. The result isn't pretty, but very functional. If I have the inclination next winter, I may well rebuild the whole system. I've really learned a lot doing this and the rebuild would be much simpler than this process. Most likely I would us a higher grade of plywood, going for a prettier look (part of the intimidation I described in the first post of this thread comes from others who have posted pictures of builds that both work well and look good).

As far as working well, it appears that this system will do that. I asked my wife to come out and use her shake blender in the kitchen and it performed properly. We were also able to use the microwave. I'm not sure about the air conditioner. I'll be trying it as soon as I get the soft start installed (a later phase).

Phase IV will be completing the wiring for the portable solar panels and the charge controller. I got a cheap PWM controller for the portable panels since they won't need all of the fancy features (I would say that the Furrion factory installed 160-watt panel and MPPT controller have worked better than I expected). My friend built a beautiful (to me) frame for my two 50-watt panels. He's working on a second frame, so I'll have a total of 200-watts than can be moved around to catch the sun when we camp in the woods.

Name:	PXL_20220512_192216527.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	40601
    Stephen and Judy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More detail on the Inverter install and wiring please. I have a 2022 260 RD. Switched to 400 amp hrs. Of lithium batteries and next is installing an inverter.
    Also, what ATS did you choose? And it's installed in between the inverter and the romex? Thanks.
    Rick.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwayman View Post
    More detail on the Inverter install and wiring please. I have a 2022 260 RD. Switched to 400 amp hrs. Of lithium batteries and next is installing an inverter.
    Also, what ATS did you choose? And it's installed in between the inverter and the romex? Thanks.
    Rick.
    Sure Rick, here are the instructions I got from GD.

Name:	2000W inverter install.pdf 
Views:	122 
Size:	522.4 KB 
ID:	43060

I used a small ATS since it is only powering the internal AC sockets and the microwave. See https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S5Y158/

I plugged one end of the ATS into a 15 Amp connection on the Renogy 3,000-watt inverter. Once I cut the Romex, I used a multimeter to check which side was shore power. Be sure to use the 10 gauge Wago connectors, they're more rugged than the 12 gauge.

Let me know if you need any more help. The system has been working great.

Someday I may wire up a 50-Amp ATS so I can supply the whole trailer including the A/C. Right now when I want to run the A/C from the battery bank, I turn off the charger/converter and connect the 50 Amp feed for the trailer directly to the inverter. Not a big deal since I don't run the A/C from the batteries too often. But the geek in me wants a whole coach solution where I just flip a switch.
    Stephen and Judy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much.
    Rick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast