User Tag List

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, Fulltime. I have a friend with s Montana and they have the same valve. I had more problems with the way GD installed it than with the valve itself, and I replaced 3. I think what truly solved my problem was when I changed the supply hose fitting to s compression type rather that just using a PEX attachment. No leak got the better part of a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulltime Livin View Post
    This is a beside the point comment... On another forum there are questions about leaking Anderson valves on a very upscale pricey 5'er.
    So the leaking valves is an industry wide problem, not just an issue at Grand Design.
    To be clear, leaking valves are not an industry wide problem . . . buying inferior products from Anderson Brass is the problem.

Grand Design has stepped up and dealt with this poor quality supplier (Kantleak) by going to a new supplier for their current (and presumably future) products. They have been more than fair about supplying Kantleak parts to their customers, at their expense, regardless of whether their product is in/out of warranty.

Once you work through the problems and get your Kantleak valve installed without leaks and working properly . . . I think it will stay that way for a reasonable length of time. There are alternatives like upgrading to the new supplier product (and Grand design will help you with this if you ask) or building your own (there are great details about this on this forum).

Now, if only Grand Design would take this approach to Furrion and Lippert .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Grand Design has stepped up and dealt with this poor quality supplier"

Sorry have to disagree on that one. Stepping up would be issuing a recall for all Kantleak installed valves. It's quite apparent that these leaks are more than just a an isolated incident. I also realize that a good percentage of these leaks are attributable to a failure of GD employees themselves when they plumbed the KantLeak panel to the RV's pluming system. Which is all the more reason why all of us should be afforded the opportunity to have our panels replaced with the Nautilus.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minnow101,

If you want your panel replaced with a Nautilus . . . talk to Grand Design about this. I can't comment on their response, but I think they will be receptive to making things right for you. The Kantleak approach to water routing is far more sophisticated than Nautilus (in my opinion). I would rather have a properly secured and functioning Kantleak system than a Nautilus system. If Anderson Brass could have gotten their quality control right, Nautilus would never have had a chance.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Swing and a Miss; my point was that GD should be doing a recall and replacing these defective valves. Thanks for playing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Rob,

Swing and a Miss; my point was that GD should be doing a recall and replacing these defective valves. Thanks for playing.
    In all my RVs that I have owned over the years I have had exactly one recall. That was on the Dometic fridges that could catch fire. Recalls are generally limited to safety issues only and technical service bulletins (TSB) are issued for other items. My previous RV was an Open Range that had two TSBs issued for it while I owned the unit. One was to replace the slide switches and one was to reseal corner screws in the slides. The Open Range TSBs were only brought to ligh on the OR forum. Neither OR nor my selling dealer told me about them. When I had my selling dealer look into it they performed the TSBs under warranty. TSBs are like national secrets. They don't want anyone to know about them. Has GD issued any TSBs for the Kantleak valve? If I have an issue with mine I am going to ask my selling dealer if there are any TSBs on it. Otherwise if it is out of warranty I have extended coverage on my unit that covers it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what model of GD you have, but on my 27RL, the electrical converter and the furnace are in very close proximity of the KantLeak and when you get a leak, it's not much of "trip" for the leaking/spraying water to land on those electrical components. So even in my ignorant opinion, water and electricity never work well together. Thus making this a safety issue. Further, I'd rather avoid a leak and any subsequent damage rather than relying on getting it covered after the fact especially if I am relying on a 3rd party warranty company that May or may not be in business just when I need them.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Rob,

minnow101,

I could rise to your baseball analogy with a similar response . . . but I won't. If you really think that you are the umpire on any of this, you are obviously mistaken.

The wiring and the water lines are wrapped around each other and laying over sharp edges in many places throughout these trailers. This appears to be "state of the industry" construction standards. The Kantleak panel is no more of a safety risk than many other locations.

I understand that you think Grand Design should initiate a recall over this. I think that this is way down the list of important things. So, lets just politely agree to disagree on this point. (If greased brakes do not warrant a recall, what do you really think are the chances for dripping water connections ?)

BTW, have you even asked Grand Design about replacing your Kantleak panel with the Nautilus one that you think is superior ? Why not start there and tell us how this goes ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTassi View Post
    Woke up early today 5:30 PST to call GD on the east coast. Spoke with Jerry. He is shipping out a new cartridge, no charge and it should be here in San Diego by Wednesday! Interesting thing, when he looked up my VIN, there was no warranty requests from the dealer I purchased the RV from. The dealer has had our RV for 2 weeks and they claim their waiting for authorization to order the part. Hmmmmm . . . .

It should be an interesting conversation when I go reclaim my RV and ask why it hasn't been fixed yet. If they tell me (again) they are waiting bla bla bla bla . . . I'll pull out the cartridge and say "Is this what you're waiting for?"

Thanks for all the great advice on this website. I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Today (Wednesday 12/23), I got 2 cartridges, one from GD and the other from Champion Energy. Jerry at GD sent one at no charge and even shipped overnight. What great service! GD would only send one cartridge, so I called Anderson to get a back-up.

Anderson said they could send a cartridge at no charge, but they could not expedite shipping. Based on the time of year, if it was send standard shipping, it would not arrive in time for my next trip. Anderson gave me the name of a distributor that had stock and could overnight, but I'd have to pay for it. Cheep insurance in my mind, so I ordered the backup cartridge and paid for expedited shipping (cartridge $26.20 + shipping $59.67)

Installed one of the new cartridges and everything is working fine now. Pix below show the blown-out cartridge O-rings. 2 were MIA, one was still there but mangled and one was still installed. I took a close look at the cartridge I pulled out against the new one . . . honestly I didn't see any difference. According to Anderson the new cartridges are different from the old ones. One things for certain, I will definitely TURN OFF WATER SUPPLY AND RELIEVE PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM BEFORE TURNING THE VALES. Despite what Anderson has claimed in previous posts, my belief is turning the valve under pressure is just asking for problems!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	3506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	3507

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad they fixed you up. Looks just like mine did. I agree that no pressure when turning is a good idea.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast