User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TCL Optical connection from factory

Playing around with the TCL (I have a USB hard drive I'm going to mount behind the TV - plenty of shows archived) and noticed an optical cable connected to the TV. Followed that up to a small box with what looks like RCA outputs. The power cord that feeds the box was pinched between the TV and the mounting bracket and pulled out of the converter. Everything seems to work, so I'm wondering what the optical device does and where the other output wires go? Saw some prior posts about connecting to a sound bar which we don't have - so leave it disconnected?
    Thanks,
    John

***NEVER MIND - FIGURED IT OUT***
    Last edited by ajg617; 04-24-2022 at 08:39 AM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the answer?
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    What was the answer?
    Audio input to the Rockford system. Without power, no audio from TV to Rockford - just TV speakers on. Should have guessed with red and white RCA output jacks.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Playing around with the TCL (I have a USB hard drive I'm going to mount behind the TV - plenty of shows archived) and noticed an optical cable connected to the TV. Followed that up to a small box with what looks like RCA outputs. The power cord that feeds the box was pinched between the TV and the mounting bracket and pulled out of the converter. Everything seems to work, so I'm wondering what the optical device does and where the other output wires go? Saw some prior posts about connecting to a sound bar which we don't have - so leave it disconnected?
    Thanks,
    John

***NEVER MIND - FIGURED IT OUT***
    Please tell me about the hardware/software you are using to store and playback content on your TV? I currently use a Directv receiver but always looking for an alternative.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Please tell me about the hardware/software you are using to store and playback content on your TV? I currently use a Directv receiver but always looking for an alternative.
    One of my boys gave me a 4TB Western Digital Black Gaming Drive for Christmas - I have a lot of movies and TV shows that I've recorded over the years plus shows from the Hallmark channel (don't know if the better half could survive) loaded. TCL has a USB port on the back and I just plug it in there. $142.64 pretty inexpensive. The Roku app will find it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you have stuff on your Windows 10 laptop and a wifi router with both connected, you can turn on DLNA for a video or music folder on your PC and the TCL should find that also. I do that at home, but the 310 is connected to my home wifi while in the driveway and the TV in it didn't pick it up yet - still playing.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my boys gave me a 4TB Western Digital Black Gaming Drive for Christmas - I have a lot of movies and TV shows that I've recorded over the years plus shows from the Hallmark channel (don't know if the better half could survive) loaded. TCL has a USB port on the back and I just plug it in there. $142.64 pretty inexpensive. The Roku app will find it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you have stuff on your Windows 10 laptop and a wifi router with both connected, you can turn on DLNA for a video or music folder on your PC and the TCL should find that also. I do that at home, but the 310 is connected to my home wifi while in the driveway and the TV in it didn't pick it up yet - still playing.
    Sounds good and HD storage is pretty cheap. What I'm really interested in is the method and format used to record the content to the HD? Does the Roku app require the programs to be in a specific file format?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do that at home, but the 310 is connected to my home wifi while in the driveway and the TV in it didn't pick it up yet - still playing.
    Get yourself a small travel router that is powered by USB (like this one). That way every device in your coach can be connected to the same wifi network. If you set it up in your driveway, you can have the router repeat the signal from your home wifi. Having a router like this is also more secure in a campground where it can repeat the wifi signal there.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good and HD storage is pretty cheap. What I'm really interested in is the method and format used to record the content to the HD? Does the Roku app require the programs to be in a specific file format?
    Yes, any USB device would work. Roku plays a wide variety of formats (see https://support.roku.com/article/208754908). If you have DVDs of your source material, there is a wide range of software that can "rip" the content to a digital file format.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just copied MP4 and MP3 files from my desktop HD to the portable - plays them. Link below with supported file types.
    https://support.roku.com/article/208754908
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Get yourself a small travel router that is powered by USB
    Ordered it tonite - $24. I was not looking to pick up a router assuming they would be a couple hundred. TY for the link.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast