User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Imagine 2970RL Solar/Lithium Install

I finally completed the install of our solar/lithium setup. Well, complete unless we want to add more battery, solar or both.

Main Components:
    Victron Multiplus II 2 x 120 3000VA Inverter/Charger
    Victron VE.Bus Smart Dongle
    Victron BMV-712 Smart Shunt
    Victron Cerbo GX
    Victron GX Touch 50 Display
    Victron Lynx Buss
    Victron 100|50 Solar Charge Controller
    2x SOK 206Ah Batteries
    Blue Sea Systems 300 Amp m-Series Battery Switches
    Blue Sea Progressive Industries Class T Fuse Block
    Aluminum Superstrut, 50 ft
    AM Solar 35mm Rocker Foot Mount Set
    AM Solar Tilt Bar Set - 19.5" / 45°
    4 x Rich Solar 200W Panels

and countless terminals, fuses, heat shrink, cables, hardware, and tools. Planning a rig-specific install takes a lot of research (in the absence of experience), and I learned as I went from the usual sources. I found YouTube very useful, as well as Nate Yarbrough’s DIY site: Explorist.life.

I documented this install pretty well, and am willing to share everything with anyone who wants it. I have a spreadsheet will nearly all the parts, drawings done in MacDraft P.E. (but can export to PDF & JPEG), and lots of pics. I’ll try to cover the main parts of the install in this post, but can share files directly if you PM me. The JPEG wiring diagram doesn’t have the resolution of the PDF I can share directly (but too big to post)

The location I chose for the main equipment install was the rear side of the pass-thru storage area. Eventually I settled on a layout and installed the equipment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VictronPanel.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	40205
    I removed the battery from up front, rewired the front chassis area including removing the self-resetting breaker re-protecting the circuits in the Victron Lynx.

Name:	ChassisWiringAfter.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	40206
    The two SOK batteries (and even a third) are a great fit under the bed, which is just on the other side of the pass-thru wall. We didn’t have to remove anything we already had stored there.

Name:	RoomFor3rdBattery.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	40207
    As a side project, I installed a Lund aluminum storage box up front (copying the great idea from Paul & Deb). I changed the style of lock on the Lund box and had it re-keyed to match our storage bay doors. Added a couple rubber bumpers so the lid doesn’t bang against the camper.

Name:	BoxBumper.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	40208
    I entirely replaced the AC wiring from the shore tie jack, through the inverter, and back to the AC/DC breaker panel. Cut access panels in the coroplast in several locations to facilitate the wiring. Also cut one new hole to get the 6/4 cable into the void behind the shore tie jack.

Name:	MainChassisWiringFrame.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	40209

Jeff & Deborah - North Beach, MD
    2019 Grand Design 2970RL "Lucy", Hensley Arrow 14K, Goodyear Endurance Tires
    2019 Nissan Titan XD, 5.6 gas, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 bags

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continued...

The original (not quite a) master cutoff switch was removed, and I re-purposed the switch base to hold the Victron shunt display so I had a quick view of things outside. Removing the original cutoff switch invited another side project of cleaning up wiring behind the water panel. And another of adding a USB charger on “my” side of the bed when I saw how I could parallel one off of “her” side. It let me try out those Wago connectors too.

Name:	BMV712Display.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	40210
    I relocated the Furrion Solar Port wiring (for portable solar) from the original battery/chassis location to the new Lynx Distributor.

I located the Touch 50 display in the bedroom on the blank panel above the closet, which is basically right above the main location for all the components. I was slightly OCD with wire management, but it looks great.

Name:	GXDisplayLocationLargeView.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	40211
    Brought the solar wires through the roof just forward of the bathroom fan, between it and the forward AC unit. From there, I routed them above the AC ducting and through the closet in the rear of the bedroom, forward of the shower. Under that closet and drawers is our water heater. I used the existing wiring hole to get back to the pass thru with the solar wiring. I did all the roof wiring for a second solar array as part of this install, stubbing out the wires below the closet inside. Didn’t want to mess with the roof penetration a second time.

Name:	PVWireFanLocation.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	40212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoofWiringatGland.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	40213
    Unistrut was put down to support the solar panels while letting me try to hit the roof trusses. I used AM solar mounts on the unistrut, so that I could also use their well designed tilt bars to support better solar collection, but mostly so I could clean and service the roof. I spaced the solar panels so that I could sweep the slides and gutters without using (or traveling with) a ladder.

Name:	AllPanelsTilted.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	40214
    I learned a lot doing this install, and could do it again much more quickly if I did another, but my goal was quality, not speed. Everything seems to be performing well. We’ll test it fully over the next few months.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great install, very well documented.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jnoyes-
    Impressive for sure!
    I just got my 2970rl and will hopefully be doing a solar install soon. I'll PM you for the files.
    Thanks for sharing all the great info.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came across this as I'm thinking of a much smaller project. Incredible job! Maybe I can hire you to come down to Richmond to work on ours. Got any thoughts on putting batteries and inverter in a tongue mounted tool box?
    2019 Imagine 2600rb
    2016 F-150 3.5L EB, max tow pkg
    4x4 8ft. bed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliment. I would say there is a lot of value in doing it yourself. You’ll gain a better understanding of your rig, and will better be able to handle issues should they arise ;-)
    Other than that it doesn’t use any interior space, IMO there are a number of reasons I would not choose to put the inverter/batteries on the tongue: my rig definitely does NOT need more hitch weight, and more stuff out there only adds to that; I don’t want to take my batteries out of the rig in the winter, and mounting inside alleviates that problem; space limitations would limit expansion beyond the smallest install without moving it inside anyway, and that’s if it would fit in the first place. Obviously others would have different perspectives that would be enough for an entire thread. Also, you’re not in a 2970 and there are differences that might matter. Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeff,

I have had the same trailer for about a year now and am looking to do the same degree of solar install.

How’s it working a year later? Anything changed/improved? How much power can you run through the system? Can you run a microwave without trouble Without a generator? Any chance of the batteries supporting short stints of running the A/C unit?

I’ll PM you for pics and details, thank you so much for documenting this so well and being willing to share!

-Jeff in Idaho

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeff. Our setup has been working great over the last year. We really haven't had a chance to flex the plant too much as the only camping we have done is with full hookups. We had to cancel a longer trip that included some boondocking/Harvest Host locations along the way so didn't get to test it much on the road. Anyway, the system can do 3000 watts on its own, so running an air conditioner or microwave for a while is no problem at all. It all runs seamlessly, so much so that we lost power in a campground and not even noticed until we looked outside and everyone else has gone dark. Charging with a portable generator works great. We can even use the "assist" mode to charge the batteries a little while pretty much running anything we want.

Our camper has the fridge that runs on AC or propane, and its kind of a pig on AC. With the 2 x 206Ah SOK batteries, we could get maybe 5 hours on the fridge (running on the inverter). The solar almost keeps up with the fridge, but after a day on the road cooling the fridge we couldn't make it until hitting the road the next day if not hooked up. So we added a third SOK 206 battery under the bed. 3 Fit perfectly so that worked out well. Now we can at least make it one night with the fridge staying cold (without using propane). Despite mixed reviews of 12v fridges, I think that's gonna be our next upgrade, not just because the 12v fridge will be more efficient, but because 10 cubic feet will be nice upgrade in size as well.

Just a couple of small things that still bother me but aren't terrible: The solar performance has been good, but not amazing. I think I've seen maybe 650 watts max of a possible 800, but I know we're not operating under perfect conditions. Also, when I charge using a standard 15a 110 garage outlet, or when I use my Honda 2000 watt generator, the charge goes great while bulk charging, but somewhere around when the Multiplus switches over to absorption or float, the circuit breaker will trip on the wall outlet or gen. That doesn't happen when I'm hooked up to a 30 or 50 amp service at a CG. I don't have any issues when charging on solar either. It's a small thing I haven't quite figured out. Maybe someone has some ideas on here.

Feel free to PM me and I'll get my files over to you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, great writeup, thanx for sharing. I put 1365watts on the roof. At a rest stop, perfectly sunny day, we used the toaster and I turned on the hot water heater (to electric). That gave the solar something to do; I maxed out at 1034 watts. Thats 75% efficient. You are seeing 81% ! Maybe your panels are cleaner than mine ?

About the breaker, I found when I plugged my trailer into a GFI outlet in my garage, the Multiplus got upset. I had to plug it into a non-GFCI outlet for Multiplus to work. To that end, we never carry the 50amp cord anymore. Too heavy. With a single Multiplus 3000, we really don't have option to run the forward A/C unit at same time as any other big load.

Thanx again, Tom
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)