User Tag List

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trail Hiking Back Packs

The Wife and I are revisiting our hiking back packs for when we take our westward trip to SD, WY, MT, ID UT

We don't go far out in the wilderness, off the beaten path but stay with usually well visited easy trails. We have hiked some trails in the Smoky's but the Rocky's are a different story.
    We have purchased some additional items for our packs, thought I'd share and see if anyone has additional ideas.

2 Whistles both with compass and temp gauge
    2 Clip on bells noise makers
    1 Multi Tool with Plyers, cutter, blades, screwdriver
    1 Multi Tool with small hatchet, blade, saw and screwdriver
    2 pen flashlights+ extra batteries
    2 Water bottles
    1 extra canteen 1 qt, military style w belt stainless-steel with cup
    Carabiners
    2 Emerg Blankets waterproof
    Emerg matches in waterproof cartridge + bic lighter
    30 ft nylon cord like big thick fish stringer
    First Aid kit
    Packet wipes mosquito repellant 30% deet
    Binoculars
    Snack bars / crackers various
    Camera + goPro with stick
    2 rain ponchos + folded up Plastic trash bag kitchen size
    Bear spray
    2 Iphones with additional charger pack
    Walking sticks one 4 ft one 5 ft

Oh we both have Keen hiking shoes / boots waterproof
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-24-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great List!
    Allergies? we carry a few sudafed tablets and tissues.
    folded up garbage bag (waterproof seat)
    microfiber cloth and travel size soap
    small notepad + pencil
    Photo ID (copy)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    The Wife and I are revisiting our hiking back packs for when we take our westward trip to SD, WY, MT, ID UT

We don't go far out in the wilderness, off the beaten path but stay with usually well visited easy trails. We have hiked some trails in the Smoky's but the Rocky's are a different story.
    We have purchased some additional items for our packs, thought I'd share and see if anyone has additional ideas.

2 Whistles both with compass and temp gauge
    2 Clip on bells noise makers
    1 Multi Tool with Plyers, cutter, blades, screwdriver
    1 Multi Tool with small hatchet, blade, saw and screwdriver
    2 pen flashlights+ extra batteries
    2 Water bottles
    1 extra canteen 1 qt, military style w belt stainless-steel with cup
    Carabiners
    2 Emerg Blankets waterproof
    Emerg matches in waterproof cartridge + bic lighter
    30 ft nylon cord like big thick fish stringer
    First Aid kit
    Packet wipes mosquito repellant 30% deet
    Binoculars
    Snack bars / crackers various
    Camera + goPro with stick
    2 rain ponchos + folded up Plastic trash bag kitchen size
    Bear spray
    2 Iphones with additional charger pack
    Walking sticks one 4 ft one 5 ft

Oh we both have Keen hiking shoes / boots waterproof
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Rocky mountain hiking low top hikers may not be your friend, I'd suggest hiking shoes with some decent ankle support if you don't have them and are not used to rough terrain.
    Are you hiking with packs that have water bladders? if not it's an easier way to carry extra.

If the first aid kit does not have Aspirin/tylenol or aleve include your choice of pain reliever.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TS_Breezes View Post
    Great List!
    Allergies? we carry a few sudafed tablets and tissues.
    folded up garbage bag (waterproof seat)
    microfiber cloth and travel size soap
    small notepad + pencil
    Photo ID (copy)
    Good additions. Also my wife will carry her inhaler not that she needs it all the time but just in case. Will put in a small pill bottle in a pack with Tylenol/ ibuprofen, Benadryl. Also take your advise on cloth and hotel size soap, (we do have wet wipes) pad and pencil, good additions. Most everything in the packs are small foldable pretty much light weight items. Our wallets have our drivers license and Id cards.
    We also bought one of those small Atomic beam fold up LED lanterns I forgot to mention. Got one at Harbor Freight $5 the other day.

You would think we are going on a back country isolated retreat, but its better to have it and not need it. And who knows we might run across some other hikers that need help.

I think I'll throw in our Cobra 2 way radios. Mostly used for parking the RV. I know they only have about half mile range but we have them, room in our packs and are not heavy.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-24-2022 at 01:02 PM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice list. Similar to mine. I always carry a Life Straw. A friend has the water bottle version.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Niome-Portable...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is our 2 cents worth.....

Garmin InReach (you phones won't work for making calls anyway and you won't know exactly where you are sometimes) and you & others can track your location live - pay for the service

GAIA app and AllTrails (pay for them - they work on an iPhone even without cell service)

Flares or smoke (did you mention a reflecting mirror?)

Hiking Poles - not sticks (2 each, compatible in case you want to use just one or none)

Loose the bells - annoying and only attract animals as they get curious about the
    mono-tonal noise and like to investigate (tip given to us from an experienced ranger) - just talk or sing (singing scares everything away from us )

loose the radios - excess weight and the 2 of you need to stay together (maybe carry them if with other hikers along with you)

Marcy had good advice about backpacks with bladders - way too easy to carry water that way. But sometimes they can get heavy.

Consider a small lumbar pack for short hikes. Something like this.

And remember to tell the campground or ranger station where you are going and when you should to meebe back.

Happy hiking - hope to meet you on a trail.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, as an experienced Backcountry backpacker, I agree with everything that everyone has said so far, including "lose the bells".

A small plastic shovel to dig your scat hole, TP (a full roll each). Makes great fire starter if needed and it's not wet (raining).

Paper quad topo map of the area you will be hiking in and a compass (if, and only if, you all know how to use them, otherwise it'll just confuse you a bunch).

A lightweight shelter, not a tent per say, something to keep you dry(er) if one of the famous fast moving, Rocky Mountain storms catches you. Ponchos are great, but with a lightning storm, you want to be as far from metal and trees as possible, then make yourself as small as possible. I've used my poncho to cover my pack and a 6'x8' tarp to cover me in the middle of the field. Just remember to crouch on the balls of your feet and not to sit in the ground. The rubber in the soles of your boots will act as an insulator if lightning were to strike nearby.

Oh, lose the little axe multitool, it would be better to replace it with a good, 6" fixed blade knife instead. The little axe will have you burning more calories than a knife. Use a short branch, about 1" thick and 8"-12" long to use as a hammer on the back of the knife and cut a V notch in whatever you are trying to "axe". (It's easier to show this than to explain it!). I've cut dead fall of up the 4" thick using this method.

To echo what was said above, sign in at the trailhead. We also put an envelope with a note in the windshield of the vehicle listing our names, our departure date and time, the route we are taking, and when we expect to return (date and time). Some people might say this invites someone to break into the vehicle if they know you are gone, but I've never had an issue.

The envelope has our departure and expected return date and times listed on the outside.

Most of all, enjoy the beautiful Rocky Mountains!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all good information that hard core hikers, novices and wimp hikers can use. I know all our minds remember the story of the older couple that got lost and their trip ended in tragedy. That's what made us revisit our back packs.

For us, we are wimp hikers - The wife and I will not be going into the wilderness alone hiking. The longest hike we have ever taken was up to Clingman's Dome in the Smoky's, took us several rest stops to get up there, and a trek to Laural Falls. We seek easy well populated trails only a couple miles at the most. My Wife's knees / hips can not take it, we know our limitations but want to at least have some essentials with us. Another thing we have I forgot to include is a flint striker, in addition to dry matches, a BIC lighter and a couple fire starters.

The Wife already had the AllTrails loaded to her Iphone. I need to load it for backup. Oh, We'll lose the bells, we'll just start singing "She'll Be Comin Around the Mountain When She Comes". LOL's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunscreen. High elevation sun is much stronger and sunburn can happen quickly. Many hikes in Utah parks have NO shade.
    If it's hot, a quart of water per person per mile is not excessive. Don't just carry the water - drink it. A notepad and pencil can come in handy for leaving notes at trailheads and dry tinder if necessary. Also keep in mind that more people get into trouble in their vehicles on back roads than on popular hiking trails. In the west, cell service gets spotty at best just a few miles from interstates and tourist areas. Enjoy your trip and stay safe.
    MB, Ab and Ufki (under foot kitty)
    '18 RAM Laramie Cummins HO
    '19 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're really concerned with contacting someone in an emergency, don't take the radios, get a Garmin in-reach. If you're out of cell phone range, you'll still have satellite communication and the subscription fees are reasonable. Put your phones in airplane mode before you leave the trailhead. The batteries will last much longer if they're not searching for a signal.

One thing I see missing since you're carrying the kitchen sink: Duct tape. It can be used for shoe repair, clothing repair, splints, blisters, etc.

I'd ditch the ponchos too. You have trash bags, and space blankets. Get a decent waterproof/breathable jacket instead.

A extra pair of wool socks.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd ditch a lot of the redundant stuff, and carry more water. Especially if you're out west. A 100L camelbak bladder will carry a lot more and take up a lot less space than the canteen.
    Last edited by pilotpip; 04-29-2022 at 12:47 PM.