User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

We are definitely planning a shakedown trip very soon after we pick it up and I'm sure we'll figure out items that we neglected even after taking much of this advice.
    2018 Imagine 2150RB
    2022 Toyota Tundra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On those wheel chocks, you can get good, solid rubber ones for pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html $7.99
    Same thing for $8.40 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7007...dp/B008CE0R5E/
    2018 GD Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitara View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

We are definitely planning a shakedown trip very soon after we pick it up and I'm sure we'll figure out items that we neglected even after taking much of this advice.
    Everyone else has mentioned most of the basic necessities to get you started so I will avoid repeating them an add these.
    Get yourself a good quality ceramic disk heater... make sure it's a metal unit and not a plastic one. Pelonis and Comfort Glow (I have both) are two very good choices.

Comfort Glow BDISC6 Original Brown Box Ceramic Disc Heater 5,200 BTUs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP4YCUG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Also get yourself a nice electric griddle for doing eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, or just about anything else you could cook in a pan. We have this one below and it's by far the best one we've ever had, clean up is simple... nothing sticks to it!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/631250666

Both of these items will save you $$ by limiting your propane usage until you definitely need it....if you're not on metered electric at a campground why use your propane when you're already paying for electricity!

The last thing I'll add at this time is instead of carry a hydraulic bottle jack or floor jack get yourself one of these .... simple to use & lighter weight.

Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp,
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I4JPZE...JQXPD5FR7RVN1?
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One item we spent big bucks on was water filters. We are paranoid about germs, chemicals, and heavy metals in our drinking water. I bought a ClearSource Ultra. I installed a cheap Camco water filter in front of it to catch anything big. For drinking I bought a Frizzle Life water filter and put a hole in the counter top for the faucet that comes with it. So far no matter where we have gone we have clean good tasting water.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The best? One of these: https://logicbluetech.com/ combined with: Andersen Levelers."
    These 2 things will be around $200 total, but makes leveling a breeze.
    Also, buy some Amazon stock before you start buying stuff. You will become a regular stop for their drivers.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great source for wheel chocks is Northern Tool & Equipment. They have metal handles and are the width of the tires and you can sometimes catch them on sale and, NTE gives a 10% veteran discount.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another strong vote for the LevelMate Pro and Anderson style ramps. I bought these before I ever pulled the trailer and I would not be without them. I have watched others setting up their trailers trying to get them level and I'm too old to mess with all that.

Also the Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp. I've not had a flat yet, I know I will sooner or later, and I really like the idea of this over trying to jack it up.

We are new to all this too but have learned a lot from online posters and other users we have met. We have only camped at a fairly close Texas state park so far (5 trips from 3 to 7 days) which is only 30 minutes from our house. That way if we need something or have a problem we can take care of it. This has given us a chance to get things setup to better fit our needs and get comfortable using everything. And becoming familiar with the setup and take down procedures.

Enjoy your travels

PS. I would suggest getting a good setup and take down list from some of the many contributors on YouTube and modify it to fit your needs. There are so many little things you need to remember and a checklist is the way to go. If the wrong thing gets missed it could cause a real problem.
    Second, take your time !!! Don't get in a rush and don't let well meaning people distract you from what you are doing.
    Last edited by jleslie00; 05-03-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleslie00 View Post
    Another strong vote for the LevelMate Pro and Anderson style ramps.

PS. I would suggest getting a good setup and take down list from some of the many contributors on YouTube and modify it to fit your needs. [/U]
    I agree that the LevelMate Pro is a great tool to have. It makes leveling a trailer so much easier and faster. I found ramps similar to the Anderson ramps on Amazon at a better price but both are great and easy to use. I also agree that checklists are important. I have them on my phone using Google's Keep Note. As I check items off they drop down to the bottom of the list as a checked item making it easy to see what is left to do. I once went to pick up my trailer from storage and was in a hurry. Even though I did my usual walk around the trailer to check things I missed a very obvious thing. I forgot to push the door handle flat against the door. Fortunately it made it all the way to my house unscathed. Something simple I just overlooked because I didn't use my checklist.
    Last edited by GaryS1964; 05-03-2022 at 04:30 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    Even though I did my usual walk around the trailer to check things I missed a very obvious thing. I forgot to push the door handle flat against the door. Fortunately it made it all the way to my house unscathed. Something simple I just overlooked because I didn't use my checklist.
    When we pull out I always do a "mirror check". Left weave, right weave and look in the mirrors to make sure things are good. That has saved us a couple of times. Handel, cargo door not shut among other things.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Setting Up Camp
    Just west of the longitudinal center of Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    When we pull out I always do a "mirror check". Left weave, right weave and look in the mirrors to make sure things are good. That has saved us a couple of times. Handel, cargo door not shut among other things.
    I have to echo this. It has saved me as well. One other thing I would add is to triple check how your trailer is connected to the hitch. Will the breakaway cable snag on something? Will something bind and not allow you to make a sharp turn if needed? It is also good to do a lap or two around the hitched rig before you head out - hard to remember this though when you are hitching in pouring rain.

Tom
    Tom & Sherry

2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew, 6.4L

2022 GD 2670MK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast