User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need to buy all the supporting equipment, online reviews are the worst

As is true with everything, online reviews are rife with "this is garbage" combined with "this is literally perfect and I will hear nothing against it."

I need to buy the basics, like pressure regulators, hook-up cords, sewer pipes, hoses, surge protection, adapters, etc, etc, etc... Anything people swear by? Swear they'll never buy again?
    2018 Imagine 2150RB
    2022 Toyota Tundra

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never buy one of those 'expandable' hoses. I've had and seen too many fail. Just give me the plain 'ol white hose.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a copy of an email I sent to a friend about some of what he needed for his new trailer. He noted later that for specific items, he frequently found them cheaper at Walmart,com than many of the other possible outlets. Geared toward a 30 amp electrical, but similar items for a 50 amp system.

Although I dislike the Good Sam/Camping World/Gander empire, I do still shop there on occasion. They sometimes are the only place with an item in stock, or have a much lower price. Be prepared, even if you don't shop there, they will be sending all sorts of mail, email and telemarketing to get you to buy things!

The basic basics:
    A hose or two. "Drinking Water Safe". Look for one with machined ends, rather than rolled. Usually white in color, but there are a few blue ones too. Any hardware store for inexpensive ones. I'm currently using this: https://www.camco.net/camco-evoflex-...ter-hose-22594, but Camco makes a bazillion other kinds, too. Only had mine for about a year, so can't report on longevity. NEVER get a collapsible/foldable one.

Black tank flush has a backflow preventor, so you can get away with using your normal hose. But if that makes you squirm, any garden hose you can find. Quality ends make a difference. A dual hose adaptor for the campground bib is a convenience, but not required.

Pressure regulator: https://www.camco.net/adjustable-wat...ead-free-40058 - the fancy one, again they make many kinds. Valterra is also a decent brand: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...s%2C103&sr=8-5

Sewer hose. Had good luck with Rhino: https://www.camco.net/rhinoextreme-s...ilingual-39859
    Get a 10ft extension, too.
    And one of these, so you can see when the black tank is actually cleaned out: https://www.camco.net/sewer-fittings...-adapter-39582

Maybe a sewer hose support. The one I have is no longer to be found. The fold up Camco kind broke pretty quickly. Maybe just gutter and some blocks, as we talked about.

A box of disposable gloves when working with the "icky" parts of things. I've gone to the heavy duty yard work rubber ones sold in all hardware stores. Just wash my hands with the gloves on when done, and reuse the next time.

Something to level with. Many just use 2x8's, stacked as needed, under the tires. And more under the tongue jacks and stabilizers on soft ground. Camco and others make "lego" style blocks - I have a lot, of an older style, sort of like these: https://www.camco.net/rv-leveling/fa...ilingual-44512

Of course, a level. Or one of the bazillion bubble levels that you can stick on the camper.

The best? One of these: https://logicbluetech.com/ combined with: Andersen Levelers. Just drive on as you check your phone for side-to-side leveling.
    There are several brands of similar levelers. Beechlane is one recommended alternative. I have found places where the Andersen's aren't quite high enough. Then I have to get out the legos, and stack to height, before pulling the trailer up on them.

Dealer should give you a power adaptor so you can plug your 30amp cord into a 15/20 amp receptacle. But get one, if they don't.

An extra 10-15ft 30 amp extension cord is a good to get, but maybe not right away.

A surge/over/under voltage protector. Progressive Industries is recognized as the best. https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...ed-comparisons
    I've run into several campgrounds with very low voltages (<90!). This will shut down your power to avoid damage to the a/c. Also protects against over voltage and surges.

BTW - most TP is fine for the camper, you don't need special "RV" toilet paper. Charmin can take longer to break down, so might lead to plugs easier. We use Costco at home and in the RV, and all is fine. The classic test is to put a few sheets in a jar of water, seal it, and shake. The ones that break up the fastest are the ones you want.

We've pretty much stopped using chemicals in the black tank. Hasn't made a difference. Just keep plenty of water in it to avoid a "poop pyramid". It always takes a LOT of flushing to clean out the tank. Your black tank sensors will stop working very quickly. They can be revived by lots and lots of flushing, but will quickly start reading incorrectly again as "bits" collect on them. Not a brand of RV made that doesn't have this issue.
    Last edited by sande005; 04-25-2022 at 09:02 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sandee005

That is excellent advice. I can't imagine how difficult it is for new RV owners to sift through all the many accessories needed for a trailer, and determine what to buy. I doubt that all the reviews and articles will ever make up for the experience one gains through years of owning and pulling a trailer.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Just west of the longitudinal center of Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have all been through this. Easier now that we have these forums. Zaitara, your comfort level on this will improve with experience as it did for the rest of us who have been doing this a while. A good skill to have is learning how to winnow out the chaff when reading internet reviews. You need to learn that the top 5% are basically BS put there by the vendor and the bottom 5% are there because someone got a bad product. But... if the number of bad reviews stacks up, then avoid that product. Also, ask questions. Agree on the white Camco hose and the Rhino sewer hoses (I have a double 10' kit with clear elbow). Do a search in these forums here and you will find info on surge protectors and pressure regulators. And if you do wind up buying crap, let the rest of us know to avoid it. You will be wiser for the next thing you buy.
    Tom & Sherry

2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew, 6.4L

2022 GD 2670MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out "RV Project" on YouTube. He does frequent "5-things" types of reviews on things we all would use and some odds and ends. He usually buys his own things so there is no pressure for him to only say nice things.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience is that most of the Camco things out there are of reasonable quality. I crushed one of those smaller yellow chocks, so recommend something more substantial.

My main advice is to camp a few times to see what you REALLY need. Yes there are some "must haves" (i.e. chocks, hoses, power cords), but camp a few times and see what you need. A few things that I didn't think about needing:
    > Battery disconnect. Yes, GD has one built in. No it doesn't disconnect everything and my battery drained between trips.
    > Socket that fits water heater drain. My small socket set I carry did not have the 1-1/16" size i needed.
    > Valterra Twist on Waste Valve. My unit would leave me a surprise when I removed the cap to hook up my sewer hose; this ends that.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the basics have been covered here. I would say for sure the Camco evoflex is the way to go. We started with the standard white hose and those are so stiff and, take up a fair amount of room. I have two of the evoflex. One 10 foot and a 25 foot one. The 10 foot is great if you have water right next to the trailer. A lot less hose laying around and takes of very little storage space. Valterra Twist on Waste Valve, first thing you should install, secure it with a small screw into the side to keep it from getting stolen and twisting. Socket for the spare. Most likely not the same size as the lugs on your rig. Cover for the jack head, preferably one that you can hang chains and plug in.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of good suggestions.
    I like the Rhino sewer hose and Rhino waste tote. I think Camco is decent quality across their product lines, particularly their electrical cords and "dogbones".
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black rubber chocks from Harbor Freight are very tough to beat, and the price is good. Use the 5" post covers for storage of the sewer hose, cheaper and stronger than the aftermarket ones. Install a clear 45° or 90° elbow on the sewer outlet, keeps you from being surprised.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast