Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disney Fort Wilderness

We are headed to Disney this summer. We have booked a premium site at Fort Wilderness. Just wanted to see if anyone here has any tips or tricks for the "Happiest Place on Earth?"
    2022 Solitude 380 FL-R
    2022 Ford F-450 Lariat

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julialuck View Post
    We are headed to Disney this summer. We have booked a premium site at Fort Wilderness. Just wanted to see if anyone here has any tips or tricks for the "Happiest Place on Earth?"
    Bring your wallet!

Seriously though we love the place. We try and get there early on check in day in case the site they give you isn't great you have an opportunity to find another one. Once, the site they assigned there was zero chance we were getting into it with our rig.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always checked in early and it hasn't been a problem. The loops are small, so make sure you are good backing in tight places. It definitely helps to have a spotter there or there will be a lot of getting of the truck to see where you are at. All the times I've been there has always been a curb side spot so visibility backing up is more reduced compared to a street side spot. Watch out for the big trash cans, they are places perfectly to obstruct the TV while parking.

Enjoy, it's a very clean campground, they actually hose off each site when someone checks out.

Bring a bike, the pool area has no vehicle parking areas, but they do have golf cart parking. If renting a golf cart, schedule it early since they go fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am late to the thread. My kids work for Disney so we go often and camp at the Fort. We really like the 1200 and 900 loop given our rig is 44 feet long. Backing up can be a challenge as stated, but doable if you are on a premium spot with a larger rig. My youngest (14) loves taking the golf cart and looping, and relaxing. We also check in early and have had great experiences there. We were there just a week ago for 9 days, had a blast. Feel free to reach out with specific questions on food, or anything else.
    Last edited by msutoad; 04-25-2022 at 07:08 PM.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the responses. We will definitely be bringing our wallet... Between gas and Disney I'm sure it wont be pretty. We are very excited though. Sounds like getting there early is the way to go. Hopefully we can get our crew up and moving early that morning. We will be staying in Madison, FL the night before.
    2022 Solitude 380 FL-R
    2022 Ford F-450 Lariat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plan for some "Fort Days". It's easy to get caught up in the parks and then realize you didn't spend anytime "camping". The Fort is an awesome place.

In our last 10 day stay, we had 3 days just to hang at the campground and ride the golf cart. Enjoy!
    Chris

2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Chevrolet 2500HD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were there early March for out first visit with our three sons and their families = 14. Had a blast. We arrived a little early. Those that say it is tight, are correct. We were lucky to get a street side site and the neighbors across from us were considerate enough to move their two parked TV for better maneuverability backing in. Sons brought golf carts so we didn't have to rent and we all had bikes as well. Lots to do!!! Didn't venture into any of the parks. Really wasn't on our agenda honestly. We planned menus to help keep our food costs down. Would definitely go back.

While we were there, a large toy hauler pulled in. We were curious on how they'd do backing in, but it was quick and easy. Their site was situated as such that they were on a corner of the loop so to speak, so when they pulled forward toward the exit, they were able to back straight in. We pondered on whether or not the campground arranged that site for them because of their size?

Enjoy!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    Their site was situated as such that they were on a corner of the loop so to speak, so when they pulled forward toward the exit, they were able to back straight in. We pondered on whether or not the campground arranged that site for them because of their size?

Enjoy!
    Fort wilderness was built 50 years ago. 45' toy haulers weren't a thing yet Some of the sites are much easier than others and they've done some improvements over the years to help. Its the biggest reason why we get there early. I have swapped sites on more than one occasion.

The loop roads are narrow but most of the sites are very spacious. Just need to get in!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    We pondered on whether or not the campground arranged that site for them because of their size?
    I'd say probably not. I've been there 3 times when we still had our Momentum (43') and I can say we were not positioned in a way to back straight in like that any of the times. I think the people you saw were lucky on what they got. I even faxed in site requests as recommended by others and never once even got the loop I requested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH