User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frozen Furrion tankless water heater!

Hey gang, my wife and I bought a new 2021 Reflection 315rlts last August.

At the time of purchase, we already had plans for our summer vacation with inlaws so we didn't use the Reflection.

We used it in December, trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a week.. But didn't use the water system, we had winterized it back in October.

Now, fast forward to last week. We decided to go on a spur of the moment weekend trip to Surfside Beach, we have a few long trips coming up in July and August so we decided to use this short trip to dewinterize and put the water system through its workings to get familiar with the tankless water heater.

I pumped fresh water through it, sanitized it and flushed it out thoroughly.

I then noticed a waterfall coming out of the water heater bay outside the RV.

I guess it froze over the winter and burst EVEN THOUGH I winterized it by the manual.
    We're not new to RV's but new to the Nautilus system and tankless water heaters.

Now, my question is, if it's a busted pipe, water is coming from the upper left rear of the water heater can this be repaired?
    I'm thinking remove the water heater unit and maybe solder the busted copper.
    I'd appreciate any and all options you may have.
    Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you winterized it "by the book", it probably never got antifreeze into it.

It was most likely bypassed, and I'd bet that you didn't drain it.

Common problem as GD didn't change their winterizing instruction when they switched to the tankless water heaters.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    If you winterized it "by the book", it probably never got antifreeze into it.

It was most likely bypassed, and I'd bet that you didn't drain it.

Common problem as GD didn't change their winterizing instruction when they switched to the tankless water heaters.
    I didn't drain it. When the guy did the walk through at pick up, he didn't have water connected to it. He also told us there was no water in the holding tank so he said he couldn't demo the tankless water heater. So my thinking was that winterizing by the manual was sufficient. I have an appointment with the dealer in May, but I was wondering if anyone had successfully done any type of repairs on the tankless water heaters.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schlepprock250 View Post
    I didn't drain it. When the guy did the walk through at pick up, he didn't have water connected to it. He also told us there was no water in the holding tank so he said he couldn't demo the tankless water heater. So my thinking was that winterizing by the manual was sufficient. I have an appointment with the dealer in May, but I was wondering if anyone had successfully done any type of repairs on the tankless water heaters.

There have been other reports of similar issues with the tankless water heaters. Even many dealers don't seem to be up to speed on how to winterize these (make sure the pink stuff gets in, don't bypass). IMHO, GD hasn't done very well in letting people know how to work with the tankless water heaters.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    There have been other reports of similar issues with the tankless water heaters. Even many dealers don't seem to be up to speed on how to winterize these (make sure the pink stuff gets in, don't bypass). IMHO, GD hasn't done very well in letting people know how to work with the tankless water heaters.
    I'm gonna push for a warranty replacement, but if not I'll either be replacing it myself or trying to repair it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schlepprock250 View Post
    I'm gonna push for a warranty replacement, but if not I'll either be replacing it myself or trying to repair it.

Check out other forums on this subject. Lots of issues with this tankless system.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-07-2022 at 09:58 AM.
    Bill
    2021 C-2500HD Duramax; B&W Champion; Reese Airborne Sidewinder
    2022 341RDS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New member here with a 2022 295RL. I also winterized per the book and the YouTube video. Put the drain plug back in the tankless system and hooked it up to water. I Thought it was the faucets running inside. No such luck. Total deluge coming from the belly pan. I removed the carpeted wall panel in the pass through storage area to get access to the back of the water heater and noticed there’s a small, softball size water tank that blew off one of it soldered fittings. I found the part # (C-FWH09A-008) only to find that it’s not available. I attempted solder the fitting back on myself with no luck. I’m going to take it to a local metal shop to see if they can help before spending close to $1000 to get this whole unit replaced.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill and Tammy View Post
    New member here with a 2022 295RL. I also winterized per the book and the YouTube video. Put the drain plug back in the tankless system and hooked it up to water. I Thought it was the faucets running inside. No such luck. Total deluge coming from the belly pan. I removed the carpeted wall panel in the pass through storage area to get access to the back of the water heater and noticed there’s a small, softball size water tank that blew off one of it soldered fittings. I found the part # (C-FWH09A-008) only to find that it’s not available. I attempted solder the fitting back on myself with no luck. I’m going to take it to a local metal shop to see if they can help before spending close to $1000 to get this whole unit replaced.
    Call GD customer service, they are VERY aware of the problem and they told me they could order me one but they had a backorder problem. Then I was told to order one on Amazon and they would reimburse me for the water heater. Amazon took one day to get it here and now I have to get ready to install the damn thing. My dealer (A very good one) is backed up like all dealers are now and i am going to call GD back and see if they will pay for a mobile tech to do the job.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update :
    Grand Design is replacing my tankless water heater on my 2021 reflection 315rlts under warranty.
    I appreciate it greatly and kudos to Grand Design.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furrion_Winterized.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	43245
    I found this on the internet but don't remember where.

Regards,
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast