User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich38 View Post
    I can relate. I have the 351 and can't fit my 2 seat Can Am in without taking off the patio sides. I have to back it in to help distribute the weight forward a little better. I usually put it in low and 4x4 to help creap in a little slower. It's tight, door to wall.
    Have you had towing issues, or just feel that you're being pre-emptive? Seems to me that a couple of feet difference wouldn't make a huge difference in pin weight.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Have you had towing issues, or just feel that you're being pre-emptive? Seems to me that a couple of feet difference wouldn't make a huge difference in pin weight.
    It is more like 10-12 ft.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the actual change of center of weight is going to be 10-12 feet though. But probably best to err on the side of caution though. My 2019 351 has about 17% hitch weight when loaded with the Sypder and Interceptor in the garage.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider putting in E-Track. Then you can place stops at the end and ease up to them. Low range is your friend here too.

I'll try to post up a pic of how I anchor our SXS.
    Last edited by Lawdog; 04-27-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    2018 Momentum 349M

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the actual change of center of weight is going to be 10-12 feet though. But probably best to err on the side of caution though. My 2019 351 has about 17% hitch weight when loaded with the Sypder and Interceptor in the garage.
    Mine runs .209 which is just a tad under 21% pin weight......triple axle Momentum 394M
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try some sort of block or chock to run up against to avoid hitting the wall and providing a stop for proper location.

EDIT: And if you have a helper they could shove a chock in behind when in position to help prevent roll back.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 04-27-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17% is impossible. All 5er's are all 20-25%. So either you are lying or wrong.

/Sarcasm

Sorry, It has just been exhausting arguing with all the people that take over every tangentially relevant conversation to point out you need a dually to handle the payload with anything that has 3 axles. Sticking to a rule of thumb for pin weight while ignoring real life direct evidence provided over and over that contradicts them.

I have weighed my 2100# Maverick and the rear axle is about 250# heavier than the front. So I can't tell you for sure the effect it will have till I test it, but I imagine 250# being put 8ft or so further from the axle will make a decent difference. Maybe not though!
    Last edited by timelinex; 04-27-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    You might try some sort of block or chock to run up against to avoid hitting the wall and providing a stop for proper location.

EDIT: And if you have a helper they could shove a chock in behind when in position to help prevent roll back.
    Yea, I think this is what I am seeing... I need to think of some kind of chock system.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    17% is impossible. All 5er's are all 20-25%. So either you are lying or wrong.

/Sarcasm

Sorry, It has just been exhausting arguing with all the people that take over every tangentially relevant conversation to point out you need a dually to handle the payload with anything that has 3 axles. Sticking to a rule of thumb for pin weight while ignoring real life direct evidence provided over and over that contradicts them.

I have weighed my 2100# Maverick and the rear axle is about 250# heavier than the front. So I can't tell you for sure the effect it will have till I test it, but I imagine 250# being put 8ft or so further from the axle will make a decent difference. Maybe not though!
    It will probably make less of a difference than you think. I had a swivelwheel trailer that I towed behind a 35' 5th wheel. It put about 400 lbs. on the ball on the rear of the 5th wheel, with the bikes loaded. But it only changed the hitch weight on the truck about 70 lbs. So 250 lbs. a few feet in back of the axles probably won't affect the hitch weight much. But it can't hurt either.
    Howard and Peggy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will probably make less of a difference than you think. I had a swivelwheel trailer that I towed behind a 35' 5th wheel. It put about 400 lbs. on the ball on the rear of the 5th wheel, with the bikes loaded. But it only changed the hitch weight on the truck about 70 lbs. So 250 lbs. a few feet in back of the axles probably won't affect the hitch weight much. But it can't hurt either.
    Maybe in some ways we are talking past each other. I agree that it may only be 50lb or even less. I just think if the SxS takes away 50LB from the hitch, that's actually a decent amount! When the SxS is already taking away hitch weight because it's behind the axle, another 50# is pretty big in my eyes.

But obviously that is subjective!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast