User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel bearing grease from factory question.

Getting the camper ready for this season, and decided to inspect and repack all the wheel bearings. My camper is a 2021, and has under two thousand miles on it, but figured might as well keep up with my normal spring maintenance. I was surprised to find 3 out of 4 wheels had blown seals with minor brake contamination, all showed some heat blemishes on the bearings.
    All the wheels were full of grease, including the dust caps. It appeared that the bearing were not correctly packed, but put together and filled thru the ez-lube until grease came out the front.
    Has anyone else run into this before. I ending up replacing all the bearing.
    2021 310gk
    2019 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you replaced all of the brakes as well. You don’t have brakes if you didn’t.

Did your dealer service the trailer for you? There were problems with factory grease in the past, but it seemed to have been resolved.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No service on the trailer by the dealer, just glad I didn't put it off to later , first trip this year is a 8 hour ride.
    2021 310gk
    2019 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO of course, but I think many of these "blown seals" are actually seals that were damaged during installation. Hopefully you went over all the seal mating surfaces and stoned any nicks and damaged areas. The EZ-Lube system gets a bad rap that I think is based on improper installation of seals and bearings, not the EZ-Lube system itself.

I think you're doing the right thing by checking everything now. And after making sure everything is copacetic you should be good for many miles and at least a couple years of reliable service. Yes, I'm one of "those people" who don't repack their wheel bearings every year.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    JMO of course, but I think many of these "blown seals" are actually seals that were damaged during installation. Hopefully you went over all the seal mating surfaces and stoned any nicks and damaged areas. The EZ-Lube system gets a bad rap that I think is based on improper installation of seals and bearings, not the EZ-Lube system itself.

I think you're doing the right thing by checking everything now. And after making sure everything is copacetic you should be good for many miles and at least a couple years of reliable service. Yes, I'm one of "those people" who don't repack their wheel bearings every year.
    You hit the nail on the head. It is very easy to damage a seal during installation But the conumdrum is that the only way to check it is to take it apart.... Then the same riskl is there when reinstalling it after checking. Without xray vision one can never be sure.. Regardless a slightly daaged seal may not be a problem,,,, unless grease is pumped in agaist it.

I run my bearings several years as well... In my case the factory is about 2600 mies away.... If there was a lack of grease, the bearings would have failed then.... Especially with the way the tranporters drive
    Last edited by huntindog; 04-26-2022 at 08:06 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison